RE: [olivia] Olivia ( found my problem,I think ? It works now ! )

  • Jerome Sodus
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 8, 2010

      Al,

      If I understand your problem correctly, I think you want RS-ID.

      From your earlier posting, I see you are using MultiPSK.

      From WZ7I’s website, part of which I’ll copy here, you’ll see that MultiPSK has RS-ID, so you have already what you need.

      But I can't even recognize those modes on the air!

      As of November 2009 Patrick Lindecker, F6CTE has developed an answer to this issue.  Several digital software packages include his Reed Solomon ID protocol that sends a two second code before each text transmission informing the software at the other end what mode is being used to send the message and the center frequency for the transmission.  At this time I am aware that Fldigi, Digital Master 780 v5, and MultiPSK all implement this protocol in their latest versions.”

      Jerry KM3K

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 8, 2010
        Yes Al if all stations were to use RSID to identify their mode its on
        HRD and FLDIGI this is seen as a brief "warble" at th beging and end of
        transmissions 16/500 is 16 tones in a 500Hz bandwidth ie 32/1000
        is 32 tones in 1khz bandwith.
        hope that helps de Pete zl2aub

      • donroden@hiwaay.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 8, 2010
          Some programs have the ability to activate RSID on start of transmit
          and if you turn your receive RSID on, it will show a window with mode
          and audio frequency ( radio freq if you use HRD/DM780 ) .

          HRD has a "speech" mode that announces the mode over your second
          soundcard speakers for no-QRM monitoring... I like that feature very
          much.

          Don WA4NPL

          Quoting al2ok <al2@...>:

          > I found the problem . . . 16-500 was not set.
          > What exactly are these settings,16-500?
          > Is there any software that automatically sets itself !
          > How about any software that identifies the digital mode signal and
          > sezs it on the screen . . . what you are listening too . . . like .
          > . . set your software to OLIVIA or PSK31.
          >
          > Al

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 8, 2010
            Gee Whiz, Al, if you make the computer do all the work for you, what fun will that be?

            Play with Olivia, PSK, Thor, MT63, etc. for a few days and you will be able to hear, see and determine the mode. When I hear Olivia, I look at the waterfall and count the tone columns so I know what to set. PSK is easy to determine, MT63 you only need to view the bandwidth, Feld Hell sounds like a cricket. Like Morse code--once you learn it, you will never forget (or was that riding a bike??? darned old brain cells).

            And I still use a bug when I get on CW contests too.. Call me old-fashioned...

            Steve, w8an

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 9, 2010
              My experience has been for modes other than PSK31/RTTY - RSID = more QSOs.

              philw de ka1gmn

              al2ok wrote:
              > I found the problem . . . 16-500 was not set.
              > What exactly are these settings,16-500?
              > Is there any software that automatically sets itself !
              > How about any software that identifies the digital mode signal and sezs it on the screen . . . what you are listening too . . . like . . . set your software to OLIVIA or PSK31.
              >
              > Al

            • Jerome Sodus
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 9, 2010

                Well, Steve, the comment about ‘what fun will that be?’ is very commendable and different point of view.

                Interesting enough to be included in a presentation I’m giving at our local radio-club next week in which the topics Olivia and RS-ID are covered.

                Jerry KM3K

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 9, 2010
                  Yes I agree I have been trying to decode something on 14076.4 its not
                  Olivia looks like Throb/Thor but dont respond to any of my combinations
                  here good solid visible signal looks like 4 rows of tones about 0800
                  -0900z each day de Pete zl2aub

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 9, 2010
                    Well the frequency suggests JT65A. This goes for the first 45 seconds of
                    each minute, then there is a 15 second decoding pause followed by the
                    other station responding for 45 seconds. To be decoded with WSJT.

                    Pete wrote:

                    > Yes I agree I have been trying to decode something on 14076.4 its not
                    > Olivia looks like Throb/Thor but dont respond to any of my combinations
                    > here good solid visible signal looks like 4 rows of tones about 0800
                    > -0900z each day de Pete zl2aub

                    --
                    73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://ilgonis.orgfree.com
                  • Pete
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 9, 2010
                      Thanks Waldis you could be right I have WJST somewhere I downloaded a
                      while ago de Pete zl2aub

                      Waldis Jirgens wrote:
                      > Well the frequency suggests JT65A. This goes for the first 45 seconds of
                      > each minute, then there is a 15 second decoding pause followed by the
                      > other station responding for 45 seconds. To be decoded with WSJT.
                      >
                      > Pete wrote:
                      >
                      >> Yes I agree I have been trying to decode something on 14076.4 its not
                      >> Olivia looks like Throb/Thor but dont respond to any of my combinations
                      >> here good solid visible signal looks like 4 rows of tones about 0800
                      >> -0900z each day de Pete zl2aub

                    • Ugo
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 11, 2010

                        Hi All.

                        Could you make available for download both audioclips and screenshots of these digital modes (first of all Olivia, but MT63, Feld Hell, Domin, etc as well) in order to know their sounds and images in waterfall ?

                        Actually I don't know all them and I'm not able to recognize them when I listen to.

                        Best regards and 73

                        Ugo

                        href="mailto:zl2aub%40inspire.net.nz">zl2aub@inspire. net.nz

                        wrote:
                        > > I found the problem . . . 16-500 was not set.

                        What exactly are these settings,16- 500?
                        > > Is there any software
                        that automatically sets itself !
                        > > How about any software that
                        identifies the digital mode signal
                        > and sezs it on the screen . . . what
                        you are listening too . . .
                        > like . . . set your software to OLIVIA or
                        PSK31.

                        > > Al

                        > > Olivia Frequencies and Information web site

                        href="http://hflink.com/olivia/">http://hflink. com/olivia/

                        To change message delivery:

                        href="mailto:oliviadata-nomail%40yahoogroups.com">oliviadata-nomail@ yahoogroups. com

                        <mailto:oliviadata- nomail%40yahoogr oups.com>

                        --

                        > > .
                        > >
                        > > Yahoo!
                        Groups Links

                        href="http://www.avg.com">http://www.avg. com>
                        > > Version:
                        8.5.435 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2676 - Release Date:
                        > 02/08/10
                        19:35:00

                        > No virus
                        found in this outgoing message.
                        href="http://www.avg.com">http://www.avg. com>
                        > Version:
                        8.5.435 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2676 - Release Date:
                        > 02/08/10
                        19:35:00

                        02/09/10 19:35:00

                      • Rick Kunath
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 11, 2010
                          Ugo wrote:
                          > Could you make available for download both audioclips and screenshots of
                          > these digital modes (first of all Olivia, but MT63, Feld Hell, Domin,
                          > etc as well) in order to know their sounds and images in waterfall ?
                          >
                          > Actually I don't know all them and I'm not able to recognize them when I
                          > listen to.

                          This is already out there.

                          Take a look here:

                          http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/Modes/index.htm

                          There are pictures of what the modes look like and sound clips of what
                          they sound like.

                          Rick Kunath, k9ao
                        • Ugo
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 11, 2010
                            Wow !
                            Thanks a lot Rich.

                            Ciao.
                            Ugo

                            > Could you make available for download both audioclips and
                            screenshots of
                            > these digital modes (first of all Olivia, but MT63, Feld
                            Hell, Domin,
                            > etc as well) in order to know their sounds and images in
                            waterfall ?

                            > Actually I don't know all them and I'm not able to
                            recognize them when I
                            > listen to.

                            This is already out there.

                            Take a look here:

                            http://www.w1hkj. com/FldigiHelp/ Modes/index. htm

                            There are pictures of what the modes look like and sound clips of what
                            they sound like.

                            Rick Kunath, k9ao

                          • Peter Martinsen
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 11, 2010
                            • Steve
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 11, 2010
                                Good luck with your presentation, Jerry. I'm sure it will be interesting.

                                Steve W8AN