Re: [olivia] How to receive Olivia ?

    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi Ugo,

      Normally you receive and send Olivia in USB mode. If you use LSB you
      must tick "Reverse" in your digital modes program. But that gets rather
      tricky. I found these days most RTTY stns use USB too.

      --
      73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://ilgonis.orgfree.com
    • Ugo
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 1, 2010
        Which software do you suggest to listen to Olivia ?

        (sent with iPhone)

        --
        73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://ilgonis.orgfree.com

      • a61bk@a61bk.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 1, 2010
          Hello
          Good software mixw
          www.mixw.net

          73
          Khalid
          A61bk
          www.qrv.me

          Empower your Business with BlackBerry® and Mobile Solutions from Etisalat

          From: Ugo <ugo.depolo@...>
          Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 12:31:45 +0100
          To: oliviadata@yahoogroups.com<oliviadata@yahoogroups.com>
          Cc: oliviadata@yahoogroups.com<oliviadata@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [olivia] How to receive Olivia ?

          --
          73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://ilgonis.orgfree.com

        • Jose A. Amador
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 1, 2010
            Ugo escribió:

            > Which software do you suggest to listen to Olivia ?
            >
            > (sent with iPhone)

            I use MultiPSK, it has the most common options.
            FLdigi is also capable, and MixW is very configurable with a pull down
            configuration menu with an extra DLL.

            73,

            Jose, CO2JA

            Participe en Universidad 2010, del 8 al 12 de febrero de 2010
            La Habana, Cuba
            http://www.universidad2010.cu
          • Pete
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 1, 2010
              Ok all digimodes are on Upper sideband although you can copy PSK31 on
              LSB as well as USB I usually set dail freq on radio at 14107.5
              (32/1000) and transmit in centre or waterfall about 1500 on
              spectrum on 16/500 I use 14076.4
              and 14073 Hope this helps de Pete zl2aub

              Ugo wrote:

              > Hi All.
              > Thanks a lot for your reply and info.
              > Just a question : I usually use rtty mode with my perseus to receive
              > digital mode.
              > Is the same also for Olivia or I've to use USB mode ?
              > See you soon.
              > Bye.
              > Ugo.
              >
              > Il mio blog su http://99righe.it
              > (sent with iPhone)
              >
              > Il giorno 01/feb/2010, alle ore 07.42, Pete <zl2aub@...
              > <mailto:zl2aub@...>> ha scritto:
              >

              >> Hi Ugo Call on 14107.5 with 32/1000 and should get contact if you
              >> would like a sked 0700 to 0800 z is ok with me de Pete zl2aub
              >>
              >> Ugo wrote:
              >> > Hi all.
              >> > I'm not confident with Olivia mode, and I'm asking you if some of you
              >> > are able to receive it from my location, north east of Italy.
              >> > I'm trying to do it but without appreciable results.
              >> > Probably I'm missing something or I'm doing something wrong, and for
              >> > this reason I'm wondering if you can suggest me a "sure" frequency in
              >> > which I can listen to Olivia !
              >> > Sorry for my bad english.
              >> > Regards,
              >> > Ugo.

              >> <http://yahoo.com/>group/oliviadata/join
              >> > To stop email, send an email to: oliviadata-nomail@yahoogroups.com
              >> <mailto:oliviadata-nomail%40yahoogroups.com>
              >> > --

              >> > .
              >> >
              >> > Yahoo! Groups Links

              >> 01/31/10 19:35:00

              >> 01/31/10 19:35:00

            • Pete
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 1, 2010
                I use FLDIGI and you can add Olivia to Mixw de Pete zl2aub

                Ugo wrote:

                > Which software do you suggest to listen to Olivia ?
                >
                > (sent with iPhone)
                >
                > Il giorno 01/feb/2010, alle ore 11.59, Waldis Jirgens
                > <waldis@... <mailto:waldis@...>> ha scritto:
                >

                >> Hi Ugo,
                >>
                >> Normally you receive and send Olivia in USB mode. If you use LSB you
                >> must tick "Reverse" in your digital modes program. But that gets rather
                >> tricky. I found these days most RTTY stns use USB too.
                >>
                >> Ugo wrote:
                >> >

                >> > Hi All.
                >> > Thanks a lot for your reply and info.
                >> > Just a question : I usually use rtty mode with my perseus to receive
                >> > digital mode.
                >> > Is the same also for Olivia or I've to use USB mode ?
                >> > See you soon.
                >> > Bye.
                >> > Ugo.
                >> >
                >> > Il mio blog su <http://99righe.it>http://99righe.it <http://99righe.it>
                >> > (sent with iPhone)
                >>
                >> --
                >> 73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://ilgonis.orgfree.com
                >> <http://orgfree.com>

              • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 1, 2010
                  > 1e.
                  > Posted by: "Ugo" ugo.depolo@... ug0.d3p0l0
                  > Date: Mon Feb 1, 2010 3:32 am ((PST))
                  >
                  > Which software do you suggest to listen to Olivia ?

                  I would recommend FLDIGI. Not only does it handle Olivia, it handles
                  numerous other digital modes as well.

                  Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                  Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
                • Ugo
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 2, 2010
                    I tried to download FLDIGI, but it seem to be only for Linux, doesn't it ?
                    Probably it's a my mystake, I don't know.
                    I'm using both MixW and MultiPSK (only to receive) but the problem is that I'm not able to find a good signal in 160 or 80 or 40 meters when I can listen to.
                    I can do it only in the late afternoon, and the propagation (in my side...) at these times is good only below 10 Mhz.
                    But the result is that, at the moment, I didn't receive Olivia !!!
                    Sigh !!!

                    73 de Ugo

                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 2, 2010
                      Ugo,

                      FLDIGI is multiplatform, and I use it under Win XP. I have not installed it under Linux yet on this PC.

                      As I can see, 20 is the most active band for Olivia, with 40 following, but nevertheless, activity is scarce.

                      73,

                      Jose, CO2JA

                      Ugo escribió:
                      I tried to download FLDIGI, but it seem to be only for Linux, doesn't it ?
                      Probably it's a my mystake, I don't know.
                      I'm using both MixW and MultiPSK (only to receive) but the problem is that I'm not able to find a good signal in 160 or 80 or 40 meters when I can listen to.
                      I can do it only in the late afternoon, and the propagation (in my side...) at these times is good only below 10 Mhz.
                      But the result is that, at the moment, I didn't receive Olivia !!!
                      Sigh !!!

                      73 de Ugo

                      > Which software do you suggest to listen to Olivia ?

                      I would recommend FLDIGI. Not only does it handle Olivia, it handles
                      numerous other digital modes as well.

                      Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                      Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

                      --
                      MSc. Ing. Jose Angel Amador Fundora
                      Profesor Auxiliar
                      Email: amador at electrica.cujae.edu.cu
                      Untitled Document

                      Participe en Universidad 2010, del 8 al 12 de febrero de 2010
                      La Habana, Cuba
                      http://www.universidad2010.cu
                      www.universidad2010.cu

                    • Rick Kunath
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 2, 2010
                        Let me agree with all of the recommendations for Fldigi.

                        It is an excellent multi-mode digital app and is in constant
                        development. I have used it under Linux and Windows.

                        It has logging and rig control capability too, as well as several
                        supporting apps that work with it, such as Flarq for adding ARQ
                        capability and Wrap for on the fly file compression for sending. Plus
                        there are stand alone versions of the Rig Control portion and more. It
                        also works with PSK Mail, another external app.

                        Take a look. I think you will like the app.

                        Give it a try.

                        Rick Kunath, k9ao
                      • Ugo
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 2, 2010
                          Good afternoon.
                          I wish to try it but I don't find the executable for windows...
                          73 de Ugo.

                          Il giorno 02/feb/2010, alle ore 15.22, Rick Kunath <k9ao@...> ha scritto:

                          Let me agree with all of the recommendations for Fldigi.

                          It is an excellent multi-mode digital app and is in constant
                          development. I have used it under Linux and Windows.

                          It has logging and rig control capability too, as well as several
                          supporting apps that work with it, such as Flarq for adding ARQ
                          capability and Wrap for on the fly file compression for sending. Plus
                          there are stand alone versions of the Rig Control portion and more. It
                          also works with PSK Mail, another external app.

                          Take a look. I think you will like the app.

                          Give it a try.

                          Rick Kunath, k9ao

                        • Peter Martinsen
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 2, 2010

                            7041.5 now

                            73 de Peter OZ1PMX

                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 2, 2010
                              Ugo wrote:
                              > Good afternoon.
                              > I wish to try it but I don't find the executable for windows...
                              > 73 de Ugo.

                              Look here:

                              http://www.w1hkj.com/Downloads.html

                              Executables and installers for all supported operating systems are there.

                              Rick Kunath, k9ao
                            • Ugo
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 2, 2010
                                thank you very much.
                                Ugo

                                Executables and installers for all supported operating systems are there.

                                Rick Kunath, k9ao

                              • Jerome Sodus
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 2, 2010
                                  GM,
                                  Thank you for the links.
                                  I've gone now to the download site but have some questions about what to do
                                  for my laptop which uses Vista.
                                  I've downloaded the
                                  "http://www.w1hkj.com/fldigi-distro/fldigi-3.12.5_setup.exe" to my desktop.
                                  I don't understand what the 'wrap' does; do I download only the wrap for
                                  windows?
                                  73 Jerry KM3K

                                  > I wish to try it but I don't find the executable for windows...
                                  > 73 de Ugo.

                                  Look here:

                                  http://www.w1hkj.com/Downloads.html <http://www.w1hkj.com/Downloads.html>

                                  Executables and installers for all supported operating systems are there.

                                  Rick Kunath, k9ao

                                  02:35:00
                                • Rick Kunath
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 2, 2010
                                    Jerome Sodus wrote:
                                    > GM,
                                    > Thank you for the links.
                                    > I've gone now to the download site but have some questions about what to do
                                    > for my laptop which uses Vista.
                                    > I've downloaded the
                                    > "http://www.w1hkj.com/fldigi-distro/fldigi-3.12.5_setup.exe" to my desktop.
                                    > I don't understand what the 'wrap' does; do I download only the wrap for
                                    > windows?
                                    > 73 Jerry KM3K

                                    You really only need the main exe installer file that you downloaded,
                                    unless you are doing some EMCOM stuff and wanting to send short files
                                    using ARQ and Flarq (Flarq will already be installed by the main exe
                                    installer).

                                    Don't worry about getting Wrap. You can always get it later. You don't
                                    need it to have fun using Fldigi.

                                    I don't use Wrap, mostly I have seen the EMCOM folks using it to send
                                    compressed data for emergency exercises.

                                    Fldigi is all you need. Just follow the help file here and you'll be all
                                    set:

                                    http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html

                                    Look for the Beginners Guide and the Online Help links about 2/3 of the
                                    way down the page.

                                    Rick Kunath, k9ao
                                  • Mobile Me
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 2, 2010
                                      Hi Guy.
                                      somebody in Olivia at this moment ?

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 2, 2010
                                        Wow !
                                        At the end I was able to receive/decode Olivia, in 80 mt.
                                        I was surprised about it and because it's possible to decode it also when the signal is a little more than the noise !
                                        Fantastic !

                                        I've a question and I hope not to be off topic : does Olivia sounds similar Domino ? I'm not sure to have decoded a Domino qso when I was looking for Olivia and their "sounds" seems similar.
                                        Is it correct or not ?
                                        Thank you very much for your help.
                                        Good night.
                                        Ugo.

                                        (sent with iPhone)

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 2, 2010
                                          > 1f. R: [olivia] Re: How to receive Olivia ?
                                          > Posted by: "Ugo" ugo.depolo@... ug0.d3p0l0
                                          > Date: Tue Feb 2, 2010 4:01 am ((PST))
                                          >
                                          > I tried to download FLDIGI, but it seem to be only for Linux, doesn't it ?
                                          > Probably it's a my mystake, I don't know.
                                          > I'm using both MixW and MultiPSK (only to receive) but the problem is that
                                          > I'm not able to find a good signal in 160 or 80 or 40 meters when I can
                                          > listen to.
                                          > I can do it only in the late afternoon, and the propagation (in my side...)
                                          > at these times is good only below 10 Mhz.
                                          > But the result is that, at the moment, I didn't receive Olivia !!!
                                          > Sigh !!!
                                          >
                                          > 73 de Ugo

                                          FLDIGI was originally written for LINUX, but it has been available for
                                          Windows for some time. I run it on a Windows XP system and it runs great.

                                          The Windows version is the 3rd download from the top of this page.

                                          http://www.w1hkj.com/Downloads.html

                                          The windows file is called fldigi-3.12.5_setup.exe.

                                          I like the program very much and recommend giving it a try.

                                          Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                                          Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
                                        • Pete
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Feb 2, 2010
                                            Fldigi is for Linux Windows and Mac ,go to fldigi site and download
                                            the windows xp uppwards version your late afternoon is our very esrly
                                            morning and I am sleeping hi de Pete zl2aub

                                            Ugo wrote:

                                            > I tried to download FLDIGI, but it seem to be only for Linux, doesn't it ?
                                            > Probably it's a my mystake, I don't know.
                                            > I'm using both MixW and MultiPSK (only to receive) but the problem is
                                            > that I'm not able to find a good signal in 160 or 80 or 40 meters when
                                            > I can listen to.
                                            > I can do it only in the late afternoon, and the propagation (in my
                                            > side...) at these times is good only below 10 Mhz.
                                            > But the result is that, at the moment, I didn't receive Olivia !!!
                                            > Sigh !!!
                                            >
                                            > 73 de Ugo

                                          • Pete
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Feb 2, 2010
                                              Yes Ugo nice to see you up and running and dont be supprised Olivia is
                                              a great "low signal level mode " I have many a qso where I cannot hear
                                              or some time see activity on the waterfall would be nice to get more of
                                              the PSK31 boys up at least with Olivia you get pretty well 100% print
                                              /// MFSK16 Domino Olivia Contestia do all sound very similar FLDIGI
                                              has a useful feature that recognises the "mode" and displays it on
                                              screen (RSID) 73 de Pete zl2aub

                                            • donroden@hiwaay.net
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Feb 2, 2010
                                                I downloaded FLDIGI for XP, but it won't connect to my TS-2000.....
                                                Tried various configs , but would appreciate a little help. For what
                                                its worth, HRD connects at any speed that I set with menu 56, but
                                                FLDIGI times out. The TS-2000 icon "PC" comes on but the program
                                                errors out and dumps back to desktop.

                                                Don WA4NPL

                                                > FLDIGI was originally written for LINUX, but it has been available for
                                                > Windows for some time. I run it on a Windows XP system and it runs great.
                                                >
                                                > The Windows version is the 3rd download from the top of this page.
                                                >
                                                > http://www.w1hkj.com/Downloads.html
                                                >
                                                > The windows file is called fldigi-3.12.5_setup.exe.
                                                >
                                                > I like the program very much and recommend giving it a try.
                                                >
                                                > --
                                                > 73,
                                                >
                                                > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                                                > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

                                              • Ugo
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Feb 2, 2010
                                                  Hi Pete and all.
                                                  Please, could you tell me more about this features of FLDIGI that allows  to recognise the mode ?
                                                  Is it a standard feature of this software ?
                                                  Good waves to all !!!
                                                  73 de Ugo

                                                  Kunath <k9ao@charter. net

                                                  href="http://www.w1hkj.com/fldigi-distro/fldigi-3.12.5_setup.exe">http://www.w1hkj. com/fldigi- distro/fldigi- 3.12.5_setup. exe" to my
                                                  >> desktop.
                                                  >> > I don't understand what the 'wrap'
                                                  does; do I download only the
                                                  >> wrap for

                                                  windows?

                                                  href="http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html">http://www.w1hkj. com/Fldigi. html

                                                  Look for the Beginners Guide and the Online Help links about 2/3 of the
                                                  >> way down the page.
                                                  >>
                                                  >> Rick Kunath,
                                                  k9ao

                                                  02/02/10 19:35:00

                                                • Mike Miller
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Feb 3, 2010
                                                    Hi Don,

                                                    I use FLdigi with my TS-2000 and XP Pro sp3 and it worked fine
                                                    with Windows2000 Pro sp4.

                                                    I use Hamlib, with Kenwood T-2000 (Beta) selected in the Rig
                                                    drop down menu. I have RTS/CTS flow control checked. I use com2
                                                    at 57600, but whatever matches your rig should work, All other
                                                    settings are the defaults. Remember you have to click initialize
                                                    for the setting to take effect.

                                                    FLdigi wants the TS-2000 powered on when you start the program
                                                    and close the program before powering down the rig.

                                                    73
                                                    Mike kc9doa

                                                    On 2 Feb 2010 at 23:46, donroden@... wrote:

                                                    > I downloaded FLDIGI for XP, but it won't connect to my
                                                    > TS-2000.....
                                                    > Tried various configs , but would appreciate a little help.
                                                    > For what
                                                    > its worth, HRD connects at any speed that I set with menu 56,
                                                    > but
                                                    > FLDIGI times out. The TS-2000 icon "PC" comes on but the
                                                    > program
                                                    > errors out and dumps back to desktop.
                                                    >
                                                    > Don WA4NPL
                                                    >

                                                    > > FLDIGI was originally written for LINUX, but it has been
                                                    > available for
                                                    > > Windows for some time. I run it on a Windows XP system and
                                                    > it runs great.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > The Windows version is the 3rd download from the top of this
                                                    > page.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > http://www.w1hkj.com/Downloads.html
                                                    > >
                                                    > > The windows file is called fldigi-3.12.5_setup.exe.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > I like the program very much and recommend giving it a try.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > --
                                                    > > 73,
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                                                    > > Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

                                                    > To stop email, send an email to:
                                                    > oliviadata-nomail@yahoogroups.com

                                                  • Juergen
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Feb 3, 2010
                                                      FLDIGI, Multipsk and DM780 use the RSID ( Reed Solomon Identifier) transmitted by the other station to determine the mode. If you switch on that feature for transmit the mode identification will be transmitted before your Olivia-, Domino-, Contestia- or whatsowever mode you have chosen transmission will start. The above programs are not only able to transmit the RSID but also to decode the RSID they detect in the waterfall which is monitored at the moment.

                                                      As far as I remember the RSID was first introduced by Patrick, F6CTE, in his Multipsk, then FLDIGI and DM780. I don't know at the moment if there is any additional program which uses the RSID feature.