Re: Why we use Olivia?

  • chrisandtanyamegaw
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 8 10:01 PM
      Just pulled Waldis VK1WJ out of nothing 14076.4 250/8.

      I will continue to call CQ as much as possible during my last week here in 4W

      Chris
      VK4FR/4W6FR

    • donroden@hiwaay.net
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 11 7:29 AM
        What Olvia frequencies do you use on 20 ?

        when someone says 14.0764, is that the readout on the radio or the
        center of the olivia signal ?

        If you use HRD/DM780, do you use RSID ? If not, Why ?

        Thanks

        Don WA4NPL
      • Jose A. Amador
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 11 7:48 AM
          Don,

          It should be CF, because JT-65A is 14.076 (+ 1270 Hz), so 14.077127...

          JT-65 spreads a bit on high activity days like weekends.

          I personally use 14073 or 14074, dial, for Olivia 250 or 500 Hz.. PSK
          is confined to 14.0725 at most, usually.

          As I also eventually work JT-65, I attempt to avoid conflicts.

          73,

          Jose, CO2JA

          ---

          donroden@... escribió:
          > What Olvia frequencies do you use on 20 ?
          >
          > when someone says 14.0764, is that the readout on the radio or the
          > center of the olivia signal ?
          >
          > If you use HRD/DM780, do you use RSID ? If not, Why ?
          >

          > Thanks
          >
          > Don WA4NPL

          Participe en Universidad 2010, del 8 al 12 de febrero de 2010
          La Habana, Cuba
          http://www.universidad2010.cu

          SEGUNDO SEMINARIO INTERNACIONAL LEGADO Y DIVERSIDAD. ARQUITECTURA Y URBANISMO.

          El rescate de los valores urbanos y arquitectónicos en tiempos de globalización

          Colegio de San Gerónimo, La Habana Vieja, noviembre 24-27, 2009

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 11 8:08 AM
            On the HFLink web page they recommend channelized operation for Olivia mode.

            The first recommended frequency is 14.075650 or a they notate it 14075.65

            That's the dial frequency - the readout on your rig.

            They also recommend for the 500hz wide Olivia modes that on the water fall you should set the center marker to 750hz

            If you add the dial frequency of 14075.65 + the waterfall position of 750 then that equals 14076.4

            If you plan to try and stay on recommended "channels" all you need to do is to use the 2nd column of the chart at HFLink to set your rig's dial frequency and then set your waterfall according to the format - for 500hz modes that is 750, 1000hz modes it is 1000, for 250 modes it is 625.

            If you don't follow these guidelines the world will not end or the skies won't fall hi hi They are recommended NOT demanded. But they are recommended for reasons. Most transmitters will modulate and drive their RF output better at 750 on the waterfall as opposed to having the signal high on the scale.

            And the reason for the channelization is that Olivia can detect and decode signals that your EAR may miss. So if you get on a standard recommended dial freq of 14075.65 and set the waterfall freq to 750 and put out a CQ on 500/16 mode you stand a slightly better chance of getting a reply than you would on just a random frequency. If had MY rig on the same dial freq and waterfall setting I might NOT even hear your signal BUT I still MIGHT SEE it being decoded and might still be able to have a QSO. Especially if we do NOT use ANY SQUELCH.

            Olivia can read 10-16db below the noise level so using any squelch is NOT a good idea. It would also squelch out signals below the noise.

            HOWEVER ..... I often use the recommended channels BUT quite often that is not possible and I will operate on any frequency just above the PSKers IF it is clear. 14072 - 14079

            And also 14103 - 14107 for the 1000hz mode Olivia QSO's - sometimes there is a lot of activity up there too!

            So don't get too worried about having to use exact frequencies BUT just be aware that they were suggested for good reasons.

            ---Gary WB8ROL

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 11 8:17 AM
              I forgot to comment on RSID. I seldom use RSID if I am using a popular or standard Olivia mode - like 500/16, 500/8, or 1000/32 - but if I am using one that is NOT very popular or non-standard like 500/4, 250/4, 500/32, etc. I often use the RSID on transmit.

              Personally RSID has not been all that helpful for me most of the time and I think it is minimally effective. On very weak signals it is mostly useless. That is my opinion and not necessarily shared by others.

              After 1,300 Olivia QSO's I have only had a few handful of people tell me they used RSID to identify my mode ... BUT that may improve in the future if MORE digi programs start using RSID.

              ---Gary WB8ROL

              --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, donroden@... wrote:

              > If you use HRD/DM780, do you use RSID ? If not, Why ?

            • Pete
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 11 5:35 PM
                Hi Don I use 14073 dial freq and waterfall freq 750 on most
                afternoons here 16/500 FLDIGI with RSID 73 de Pete zl2aub

              • donroden@hiwaay.net
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 12 6:07 AM
                  Listning 14.073 + 750 16/500 and reporting to PSKREPORTER from EM64
                  if anyone wants to give it a try. ( unattended so no reply on
                  frequency )

                  Don WA4NPL

                  Quoting Pete <zl2aub@...>:

                  > Hi Don I use 14073 dial freq and waterfall freq 750 on most
                  > afternoons here 16/500 FLDIGI with RSID 73 de Pete zl2aub
                  >
                  > donroden@... wrote:
                  >> What Olvia frequencies do you use on 20 ?
                  >>
                  >> when someone says 14.0764, is that the readout on the radio or the
                  >> center of the olivia signal ?
                  >>
                  >> If you use HRD/DM780, do you use RSID ? If not, Why ?
                  >>

                  >> Thanks
                  >>
                  >> Don WA4NPL

                  >> .
                  >>
                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                  >> 10/11/09 18:34:00

                • jose geraldo galdino
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 12 7:08 AM
                    greetings my noble friends
                    also taking the opportunity
                    This was the first to write a list
                    I've been asking for help amateur radio clace c pu5atx opero bands 10 12 15 40 80 160 50mhz vhf 144 mhz
                    if people like me spend pudece the frequencies of olivia I bands are allowed.
                    grateful vy 73 PU5ATX JOSE GG51PR

                    To: oliviadata@yahoogroups.com
                    From: donroden@...
                    Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:07:02 -0500
                    Subject: Re: [olivia] 20 meter frequencies

                    Quoting Pete <zl2aub@inspire. net.nz>:

                    > Hi Don I use 14073 dial freq and waterfall freq 750 on most
                    > afternoons here 16/500 FLDIGI with RSID 73 de Pete zl2aub
                    >
                    > donroden@hiwaay. net wrote:
                    >> What Olvia frequencies do you use on 20 ?
                    >>
                    >> when someone says 14.0764, is that the readout on the radio or the
                    >> center of the olivia signal ?
                    >>
                    >> If you use HRD/DM780, do you use RSID ? If not, Why ?
                    >>

                    >> Thanks
                    >>
                    >> Don WA4NPL
                    >>

                    >> ------------ --------- --------- ------
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >> CQ Frequency Olivia 500/16 = 14076.4kHz (center)
                    >> OliviaData Group web site http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/oliviadata
                    >> Olivia Frequencies and Information web site http://hflink. com/olivia/
                    >> To change message delivery: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/oliviadata /join
                    >> To stop email, send an email to: oliviadata-nomail@ yahoogroups. com
                    >> --

                    >> .
                    >>
                    >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                    >> 10/11/09 18:34:00

                    Navegue com segurança com o Novo Internet Explorer 8. Baixe agora, é gratis!