Re: [olivia] Why we use Olivia?

  • Laurie, VK3AMA
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 7, 2009
      Hi Pete,

      I often see you just up from PSK, but I find Olivia tooo slow. Reminds
      me of "watching paint dry" ;-)

      I don't feel the need for 100% print. The only thing I need 100% print
      on is the other stations callsign, 80% character loss after that and the
      old human brain can work out what is being said.

      de Laurie, VK3AMA

    • donroden@hiwaay.net
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 7, 2009
        Is that 14.073 indicated RF + AF or 14.072 RF and centered around
        1000hz on waterfall ?

        Don WA4NPL

        Quoting Pete <zl2aub@...>:

        > I always live in 14073 just above PSK31 boys hoping to entice them up
        > to have a 100% print qso on Olivia 16/500 !! 73 de Pete zl2aub
        >
        > Waldis Jirgens wrote:
        >> Hi Jaak,
        >>
        >> First a slight correction: MFSK16 produces 42 WPM not 58. And the speed
        >> of Olivia 500/16 is easy on your typing and certainly not too slow. You
        >> have to be exactly tuned to decode MFSK16. With weak signals and QRM you
        >> can easily lose sync. Therefore Olivia is the preferable mode.
        >>
        >> Then you ask: What to exchange and why use Olivia. Easy answers:
        >> 1. Whatever you like, from 599 TU 73, to hour long ragchews.
        >> 2. Because it's the most suited mode for the current lack of sunspots.
        >> Try some skeds and compare it to Domino EX and Thor or whatever else,
        >> you will find that the above assertion is correct.
        >>
        >> And if we go easy on the "channels", we will avoid future bigotted
        >> "channel police" - as so often heard on the VHF "calling channels".
        >> There is plenty of room above the PSK31 bands.

        >> 10/07/09 20:49:00

      • Pete
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 7, 2009
          Tis Dial freq plus up the waterfall a bit I normally sit on 750 on
          FLDIGI 73 de Pete zl2aub

          donroden@... wrote:
          > Is that 14.073 indicated RF + AF or 14.072 RF and centered around
          > 1000hz on waterfall ?
          >
          > Don WA4NPL
          >

          > Quoting Pete <zl2aub@...>:
          >

          >> I always live in 14073 just above PSK31 boys hoping to entice them up
          >> to have a 100% print qso on Olivia 16/500 !! 73 de Pete zl2aub
          >>
          >> Waldis Jirgens wrote:
          >>
          >>> Hi Jaak,
          >>>
          >>> First a slight correction: MFSK16 produces 42 WPM not 58. And the speed
          >>> of Olivia 500/16 is easy on your typing and certainly not too slow. You
          >>> have to be exactly tuned to decode MFSK16. With weak signals and QRM you
          >>> can easily lose sync. Therefore Olivia is the preferable mode.
          >>>
          >>> Then you ask: What to exchange and why use Olivia. Easy answers:
          >>> 1. Whatever you like, from 599 TU 73, to hour long ragchews.
          >>> 2. Because it's the most suited mode for the current lack of sunspots.
          >>> Try some skeds and compare it to Domino EX and Thor or whatever else,
          >>> you will find that the above assertion is correct.
          >>>
          >>> And if we go easy on the "channels", we will avoid future bigotted
          >>> "channel police" - as so often heard on the VHF "calling channels".
          >>> There is plenty of room above the PSK31 bands.

          >>> 10/07/09 20:49:00

        • jaakhohensee
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 8, 2009
            --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "jhaynesatalumni" <jhhaynes@...> wrote:

            > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Waldis Jirgens <waldis@> wrote:
            > And the speed
            > > of Olivia 500/16 is easy on your typing and certainly not too slow.
            > >
            > I disagree. I tend to type up a buffer full and then get tired
            > of waiting for it to go out, forgetting that it is not fast like
            > RTTY of old. However weak signal performance is amazing.
            >
            > Jim W6JVE

            Yes, I agree with Jim. The most valuable Olivia charactersitic is weak signal perfomance. Actual default formats 1000/32, 500/16 don´t use that maximum possible way. So one weak signal channel with 500/32 format (like in 6m 50,110kHz) seems to spread the gap. Sure that 125/8 with snr -18dB better from snr viewpoint but the 7wpm...

            Who is opposite to redefine the last 500/16 channel as 500/32 channel? Why?

            73, Jaak
            es1hj/qrp
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 8, 2009
              My 3h*% is ta9ixg on !Lter and I think it wil5 fPni shortly. Water temp is -5 F - long is ve.hu+2t deg South lat 9l4007hb2 West eee uelc.

              80 percent may be acceptable if all you want to pass is signal report, call, and QSO information but otherwise 80 percent doesn't cut it. I've had too many of those 80 pct or worse QSO's in the past on other modes and that's why I now use Olivia almost exclusively.

              Here is the 100% copy on the above ...

              My ship is taking on water and I think it will sink shortly. Water temp is -5 F - long is 25.11.23 deg South lat 114.07.22 West Pse help.

              Hope you are ever on a sinking ship and decide to use PSK hi hi Or even try to have a decent ragchew and miss important info ...

              And with abbreviations 80% gets even worse at times ....

              --Gary WB8ROL :)

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 8, 2009
                I think a 500/32 preferred channel is probably a good idea as long as we remember the word VOLUNTARY. ALL of the frequency coordination is voluntary and it's still first come first serve when it comes to real regulations.

                When (or should I say IF) the bands ever get real crowded again then space will be a much more of a premium ...

                > Yes, I agree with Jim. The most valuable Olivia charactersitic is weak signal perfomance. Actual default formats 1000/32, 500/16 don´t use that maximum possible way. So one weak signal channel with 500/32 format (like in 6m 50,110kHz) seems to spread the gap. Sure that 125/8 with snr -18dB better from snr viewpoint but the 7wpm...
                >
                > Who is opposite to redefine the last 500/16 channel as 500/32 channel? Why?
                >

                > 73, Jaak
                > es1hj/qrp

              • Pete
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 8, 2009
                  Well said Gary ,the main reason I use Olivia in all its configs is to
                  make contacts buried in the noise. When Olivia first came out I was on
                  32/1000 on 14107.5 called CQ and sat back looking at the noise on the
                  waterfall couldn't see anything or for that matter hear anything that
                  looked like a signal but words started to appear on the screen, it was
                  a GM4 calling me I went back exchanged usual reports ,brag etc. a short
                  while later I got an email wanting to know if I was genuine and was in
                  New Zealand.
                  Hey one hell of a great mode in this part of the cycle I wonder what it
                  will be like when we get some sunspots ?
                  Psk31 is ok provided you have strong signals no multipath Olivia might
                  not have the speed but sure is robust in poor conditions as is of course
                  Mfsk16 Domino MT63. 73 de Pete zl2aub

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 8, 2009
                    I agree Pete! I had almost gone INACTIVE on ham radio until I found this mode. If I had not "discovered" Olivia I would finding a new hobby. One HELL of a mode!

                    I also like DominoEX and use it a little. In the last 2 years I've had 4 PSK QSO's, over 1,300 Olivia, and a few hundred of DominoEX, THOR, ALE400, JT65A combined.

                    I might answer a PSK QSO if I heard one on 2mtrs, 432hmz or 1.2gh though!

                    When and IF the bands ever heat up and get crowded again I will be using more Olivia 250/4, 500/8, 500/4 and DominoEX 4, 5, and 8

                    MFSK is too picky and MT63 just not necessary - at least for me. Everybody has their own requirements, though.

                    ---Gary WB8ROL

                    --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Pete <zl2aub@...> wrote:

                    > Well said Gary ,the main reason I use Olivia in all its configs is to
                    > make contacts buried in the noise. When Olivia first came out I was on
                    > 32/1000 on 14107.5 called CQ and sat back looking at the noise on the
                    > waterfall couldn't see anything or for that matter hear anything that
                    > looked like a signal but words started to appear on the screen, it was
                    > a GM4 calling me I went back exchanged usual reports ,brag etc. a short
                    > while later I got an email wanting to know if I was genuine and was in
                    > New Zealand.
                    > Hey one hell of a great mode in this part of the cycle I wonder what it
                    > will be like when we get some sunspots ?
                    > Psk31 is ok provided you have strong signals no multipath Olivia might
                    > not have the speed but sure is robust in poor conditions as is of course
                    > Mfsk16 Domino MT63. 73 de Pete zl2aub

                  • chrisandtanyamegaw
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 8, 2009
                      Just pulled Waldis VK1WJ out of nothing 14076.4 250/8.

                      I will continue to call CQ as much as possible during my last week here in 4W

                      Chris
                      VK4FR/4W6FR

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 11, 2009
                        What Olvia frequencies do you use on 20 ?

                        when someone says 14.0764, is that the readout on the radio or the
                        center of the olivia signal ?

                        If you use HRD/DM780, do you use RSID ? If not, Why ?

                        Thanks

                        Don WA4NPL
                      • Jose A. Amador
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 11, 2009
                          Don,

                          It should be CF, because JT-65A is 14.076 (+ 1270 Hz), so 14.077127...

                          JT-65 spreads a bit on high activity days like weekends.

                          I personally use 14073 or 14074, dial, for Olivia 250 or 500 Hz.. PSK
                          is confined to 14.0725 at most, usually.

                          As I also eventually work JT-65, I attempt to avoid conflicts.

                          73,

                          Jose, CO2JA

                          ---

                          donroden@... escribió:
                          > What Olvia frequencies do you use on 20 ?
                          >
                          > when someone says 14.0764, is that the readout on the radio or the
                          > center of the olivia signal ?
                          >
                          > If you use HRD/DM780, do you use RSID ? If not, Why ?
                          >

                          > Thanks
                          >
                          > Don WA4NPL

                          Participe en Universidad 2010, del 8 al 12 de febrero de 2010
                          La Habana, Cuba
                          http://www.universidad2010.cu

                          SEGUNDO SEMINARIO INTERNACIONAL LEGADO Y DIVERSIDAD. ARQUITECTURA Y URBANISMO.

                          El rescate de los valores urbanos y arquitectónicos en tiempos de globalización

                          Colegio de San Gerónimo, La Habana Vieja, noviembre 24-27, 2009

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 11, 2009
                            On the HFLink web page they recommend channelized operation for Olivia mode.

                            The first recommended frequency is 14.075650 or a they notate it 14075.65

                            That's the dial frequency - the readout on your rig.

                            They also recommend for the 500hz wide Olivia modes that on the water fall you should set the center marker to 750hz

                            If you add the dial frequency of 14075.65 + the waterfall position of 750 then that equals 14076.4

                            If you plan to try and stay on recommended "channels" all you need to do is to use the 2nd column of the chart at HFLink to set your rig's dial frequency and then set your waterfall according to the format - for 500hz modes that is 750, 1000hz modes it is 1000, for 250 modes it is 625.

                            If you don't follow these guidelines the world will not end or the skies won't fall hi hi They are recommended NOT demanded. But they are recommended for reasons. Most transmitters will modulate and drive their RF output better at 750 on the waterfall as opposed to having the signal high on the scale.

                            And the reason for the channelization is that Olivia can detect and decode signals that your EAR may miss. So if you get on a standard recommended dial freq of 14075.65 and set the waterfall freq to 750 and put out a CQ on 500/16 mode you stand a slightly better chance of getting a reply than you would on just a random frequency. If had MY rig on the same dial freq and waterfall setting I might NOT even hear your signal BUT I still MIGHT SEE it being decoded and might still be able to have a QSO. Especially if we do NOT use ANY SQUELCH.

                            Olivia can read 10-16db below the noise level so using any squelch is NOT a good idea. It would also squelch out signals below the noise.

                            HOWEVER ..... I often use the recommended channels BUT quite often that is not possible and I will operate on any frequency just above the PSKers IF it is clear. 14072 - 14079

                            And also 14103 - 14107 for the 1000hz mode Olivia QSO's - sometimes there is a lot of activity up there too!

                            So don't get too worried about having to use exact frequencies BUT just be aware that they were suggested for good reasons.

                            ---Gary WB8ROL

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 11, 2009
                              I forgot to comment on RSID. I seldom use RSID if I am using a popular or standard Olivia mode - like 500/16, 500/8, or 1000/32 - but if I am using one that is NOT very popular or non-standard like 500/4, 250/4, 500/32, etc. I often use the RSID on transmit.

                              Personally RSID has not been all that helpful for me most of the time and I think it is minimally effective. On very weak signals it is mostly useless. That is my opinion and not necessarily shared by others.

                              After 1,300 Olivia QSO's I have only had a few handful of people tell me they used RSID to identify my mode ... BUT that may improve in the future if MORE digi programs start using RSID.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 11, 2009
                                Hi Don I use 14073 dial freq and waterfall freq 750 on most
                                afternoons here 16/500 FLDIGI with RSID 73 de Pete zl2aub

                              • donroden@hiwaay.net
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 12, 2009
                                  Listning 14.073 + 750 16/500 and reporting to PSKREPORTER from EM64
                                  if anyone wants to give it a try. ( unattended so no reply on
                                  frequency )

                                  Don WA4NPL

                                  Quoting Pete <zl2aub@...>:

                                  > Hi Don I use 14073 dial freq and waterfall freq 750 on most
                                  > afternoons here 16/500 FLDIGI with RSID 73 de Pete zl2aub
                                  >
                                  > donroden@... wrote:
                                  >> What Olvia frequencies do you use on 20 ?
                                  >>
                                  >> when someone says 14.0764, is that the readout on the radio or the
                                  >> center of the olivia signal ?
                                  >>
                                  >> If you use HRD/DM780, do you use RSID ? If not, Why ?
                                  >>

                                  >> Thanks
                                  >>
                                  >> Don WA4NPL

                                  >> .
                                  >>
                                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  >> 10/11/09 18:34:00

                                • jose geraldo galdino
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 12, 2009
                                    greetings my noble friends
                                    also taking the opportunity
                                    This was the first to write a list
                                    I've been asking for help amateur radio clace c pu5atx opero bands 10 12 15 40 80 160 50mhz vhf 144 mhz
                                    if people like me spend pudece the frequencies of olivia I bands are allowed.
                                    grateful vy 73 PU5ATX JOSE GG51PR

                                    To: oliviadata@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: donroden@...
                                    Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:07:02 -0500
                                    Subject: Re: [olivia] 20 meter frequencies

                                    Quoting Pete <zl2aub@inspire. net.nz>:

                                    > Hi Don I use 14073 dial freq and waterfall freq 750 on most
                                    > afternoons here 16/500 FLDIGI with RSID 73 de Pete zl2aub
                                    >
                                    > donroden@hiwaay. net wrote:
                                    >> What Olvia frequencies do you use on 20 ?
                                    >>
                                    >> when someone says 14.0764, is that the readout on the radio or the
                                    >> center of the olivia signal ?
                                    >>
                                    >> If you use HRD/DM780, do you use RSID ? If not, Why ?
                                    >>

                                    >> Thanks
                                    >>
                                    >> Don WA4NPL
                                    >>

                                    >> ------------ --------- --------- ------
                                    >>
                                    >> --
                                    >> CQ Frequency Olivia 500/16 = 14076.4kHz (center)
                                    >> OliviaData Group web site http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/oliviadata
                                    >> Olivia Frequencies and Information web site http://hflink. com/olivia/
                                    >> To change message delivery: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/oliviadata /join
                                    >> To stop email, send an email to: oliviadata-nomail@ yahoogroups. com
                                    >> --

                                    >> .
                                    >>
                                    >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    >> 10/11/09 18:34:00

                                    Navegue com segurança com o Novo Internet Explorer 8. Baixe agora, é gratis!