WHERE ARE ALL THE OLIVIA OPS?

  • VE3FMC
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009
      The past couple of weeks I have not heard many Olivia signals on 40 meters from 01:00 UTC on.

      Is it just that time of the season that people are busy? Or band conditions?

      Olivia has become my favorite digital mode, but we need to use th emode more often.

      Look for me on 7.072.

      73, Rick VE3FMC
    • r_lwesterfield
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009

        Hello Rick,

          Yes, I miss them, too.   All of the hard core Olivia fans are also interested in the new WINMOR mode. It is having some new mode teething problems and we might get a few of the Olivia folks back after things settle down for a while.

            But yes, I miss Olivia.

        Another Rick – KH2DF

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009
          Thats why we dont meet I am on 14073 Olivia 16/500 de Pete zl2aub

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2009
            Hi Rick!

            I don't know anyone other Olivia ops interested in WinMor but the real question you should be asking is where is ALL the digital activity gone. Most of it evaporates in late summer and early fall every year and with the higher bands just as poor as ever some of it may have left forever hi hi

            For that matter I don't hear all that much of any SSB or CW on 40mtrs most of the time any more. Early evenings and in the day it is like a ghost town ....

            I work all bands here so I don't have any problems making Olivia contacts but if I stayed on 40mtrs most of the time it would be slim pickings. A lot of the 40mtrs Olivia guys have migrated to 80mtrs too - been hearing a lot of activity there lately.

            And in the next few months there should be some nice DX available on 80mtrs too. Last year I worked europe 3 times on 80mtrs Olivia and my 115ft long dipole is only 15ft hight at the center.

            If you can load something on 80mtrs look around 3.583 plus and minus 3 khz in the late evenings.

            --Gary WB8ROL
            --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "VE3FMC" <ve3fmc@...> wrote:

            > The past couple of weeks I have not heard many Olivia signals on 40 meters from 01:00 UTC on.
            >
            > Is it just that time of the season that people are busy? Or band conditions?
            >
            > Olivia has become my favorite digital mode, but we need to use th emode more often.
            >
            > Look for me on 7.072.
            >
            > 73, Rick VE3FMC

          • chrisandtanyamegaw
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2009
              Not ideally set up for 40M and its very quiet at this QTH but more than willing to come up on 20 and 17 if anybody is about looking for 4W on Olivia.
              PM or Skype me

              Chris
              VK4FR/4W6FR

              --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "garylinnrobinson" <grobin1949@...> wrote:

              > Hi Rick!
              >
              > I don't know anyone other Olivia ops interested in WinMor but the real question you should be asking is where is ALL the digital activity gone. Most of it evaporates in late summer and early fall every year and with the higher bands just as poor as ever some of it may have left forever hi hi
              >
              > For that matter I don't hear all that much of any SSB or CW on 40mtrs most of the time any more. Early evenings and in the day it is like a ghost town ....
              >
              > I work all bands here so I don't have any problems making Olivia contacts but if I stayed on 40mtrs most of the time it would be slim pickings. A lot of the 40mtrs Olivia guys have migrated to 80mtrs too - been hearing a lot of activity there lately.
              >
              > And in the next few months there should be some nice DX available on 80mtrs too. Last year I worked europe 3 times on 80mtrs Olivia and my 115ft long dipole is only 15ft hight at the center.
              >
              > If you can load something on 80mtrs look around 3.583 plus and minus 3 khz in the late evenings.
              >
              > --Gary WB8ROL
              > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "VE3FMC" <ve3fmc@> wrote:
              > >
              > > The past couple of weeks I have not heard many Olivia signals on 40 meters from 01:00 UTC on.
              > >
              > > Is it just that time of the season that people are busy? Or band conditions?
              > >
              > > Olivia has become my favorite digital mode, but we need to use th emode more often.
              > >
              > > Look for me on 7.072.
              > >
              > > 73, Rick VE3FMC

            • af6it
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2009
                This west coast op- when I can actually get on- is mostly running 8W on Olivia at or above 10142.250. Last couple weeks I haven't seen as much activity, tis true. Winmor? Never heard of it until someone brought it up in this thread. Please tell me it won't become another Pactor robot mess!

                Stu AF6IT

                > > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "VE3FMC" <ve3fmc@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > The past couple of weeks I have not heard many Olivia signals on 40 meters from 01:00 UTC on.
                > > >
                > > > Is it just that time of the season that people are busy? Or band conditions?
                > > >
                > > > Olivia has become my favorite digital mode, but we need to use th emode more often.
                > > >
                > > > Look for me on 7.072.
                > > >
                > > > 73, Rick VE3FMC

              • W1XT
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2009
                  Gary and others...

                  One problem many of us have is available time. I've found that if I
                  don't have at least 30 or 45 or more minutes to sit in front of the
                  station, I don't have enough time for a polite Olivia QSO. Many Olivia
                  ops seem to be, for lack of a better word, "insulted" by a short QSO.

                  While I may watch a lot of Olivia QSOs going on, I rarely call anyone
                  because I'm not ready to sit here for the better part of an hour (in
                  some cases). And I rarely answer a CQ for the same reason.

                  A suggestion: We need a way to indicate time available. For instance,
                  it would be easy to add a line to your CQ Macro that signals "Looking
                  for a short(er) QSO."

                  I know many ops object to the 599 73 type of CW, SSB and RTTY QSOs
                  that go on, but a QSO that exchanged name, QTH, station setup and one
                  or two short items that may be of interest followed by 73, etc. might
                  allow me more on-the-air time. Something on the order of two
                  transmissions for each station would probably get me transmitting on
                  Olivia much more.

                  Often I go to CW or JT65A just because I only have a short amount of
                  time available. We all know Olivia is slow. And it does get bogged
                  down by long winded QSOs -- which are fine if both ends of the QSO
                  have plenty of time to sit in front of the transceiver.

                  --Bob W1XT/7, Surprise, Arizona
                • Phil Williams
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2009
                    Bob,

                    You bring up a good point about wanting to limit the length of a QSO when working digital modes with very low throughput.  Long QSOs via these more robust modes can be very long and not every operator wants to be in a single QSO for one hour.

                    This is what I have experiened with using modes like Olivia and Thor at very low throughput rates.  Nothing new here - just sharing my eperiences.

                    - I try to use a shorthand and format like one would with CW.  I try to stick to this format as it tends to set the expectations for the other stations.  I stick this this short format for all my QSOs when I am using one of the low throughput digital modes.

                    - Other stations listening in to my QSO will see the format and shortness of my xmission, so they see by example what kind of QSO they are going to have.  This does not aways work.  Some stations will insist on using macro that are for the higher throughput modes.  That's OK. This happens more often with someone new to these lower thoughput modes and just need to get the experience under their belt that what worked in PSK31, may not apply to these slower modes.

                    - It seems that about 75 percent of the stations I work via these lowthroughut modes will "get it" and adjust the format of their xmission accordingly. Most are fine with a short QSO as like all of us, we have very limited shack time.

                    - The key is that you must set the stage to show what you are expecting in a QSO.

                    I like your idea about adding something to the QSO that says, "I am really just in to name, QTH, and RST - that's all thank you.".  What would you suggest?  I think we would find that we would make more contacts in our limited time if we added some sort of "expectations tag" to our CQ xmissions.

                    philw de ka1gmn

                    On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 10:08 AM, W1XT <w1xt@...> wrote:

[...]

                  • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 4, 2009
                      I was wondering the same thing. A few months go, QST published an
                      article about Olivia and it seems like activity increased, but now it's
                      back down again.

                      I did attempt an OLIVIA QSO on 30 yesterday, but the QSB was so bad,
                      along with the noise, we weren't successful.

                      For a while it seemed I could call on any of the designated OLIVIA
                      frequencies and after a few calls, someone would respond. Doesn't seem
                      to be that way now.

                      We need to get the OLIVIA activity back up.

                      Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                      Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 8, 2009
                        Bob,
                        If some Olivia operator gets mad at you for just wanting a short QSO just ignore it. I have been disappointed when stations don't want to talk longer BUT never mad. Feel free to call me any time you hear me if just to say hello and get a report or whatever. Just say Gotta go - 73 and I will get it.

                        And if others don't get it they will at least learn to live with it hi hi

                        I am a windy guy with a lot of time but I don't expect everyone to be like that. A lot of Olivia users adopted this mode cuz they want to ragchew. Others just because it gets thru when others modes can't. Others prefer different modes cuz they like shorter QSO's for time reasons - or whatever.

                        ---Gary WB8ROL