Re: [olivia] Who set Olivia Modes frequencies

  • donroden@hiwaay.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 7, 2009
      I'm listning to 14.07640 right now, and I can't figure out the mode
      .... RSID would be Sooooo Nice.

      Don WA4NPL

      Quoting "Fred Darrah" <cfdarrah@...>:

      > Hello all,
      > I realize everyone has to be able to find a place to operate Olivia.
      > The places to find Olivia contacts were not placed by majority vote.
      > Many take the 14.075 area because it states it is there. The truth
      > is it does not help weak signal modes as JT65A. It produces much
      > degrading of the bandpass. There is no reason you can not put two
      > 500 hz signals in each 1000 hz at 14.103 up . If you desire narrow
      > modes put four 250 hz in each 1000 hz. The area at 14.103 and up is
      > under utilized. The areas were not set with any considerations as I
      > see it. I love Olivia and have made well over 1000 QSO's in the
      > mode. The narrow modes 250 hz are able to be conducted anywhere
      > Digital or RTTY modes presently are.There should be sending
      > standards Such as 250/8, 500/16, 1000/32. You can change after
      > contact to whatever mode you wish.Then you know for each width what
      > the tones are.
      >
      > The problem is Olivia operators have no real time web site devoted
      > to messages as JT65A does. I think the RSID may be a good idea but
      > considerate operation to standards seems to be better.
      >
      > 73 Fred N9GUE

    • Pete
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 7, 2009
        More than likely 16/500 32/1000 normally on 14.107.5 and dont forget
        RSID has to be activated by transmitting station de Pete zl2aub

      • donroden@hiwaay.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 7, 2009
          Too narrow for 16/500...... more like mfsk but wider than 4 / 125
          I don't hear enough of the other modes to be able to identify them by sound

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 8, 2009
            Hi Don,

            Probably 8/250 or 4/250. The bandwidth should be visible in the
            waterfall. It could however also be Domino EX 4, also quite popular. Not
            as robust but faster than comparable Olivia modes. I suggest you put a
            speaker in the PC audio out plug and listen to various modes, so you
            will get "an ear" for them.

            --
            73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://ilgonis.orgfree.com