Olivia Activity

  • digitalw3oq
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 12, 2005
      I am new to Olivia, using the Linux disc - Somewhat awkward, but
      doable - However, I can find almost no activity on 14,107.5 - I have
      had better luck in the evenings on 3585 (USB, 1000 Hz - as that is all
      the Linux disc supports) - I would encourage Olivia Ops to watch for
      evening activity on 3585.
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 12, 2005
        Hey W3OQ.

        I've been hearing Olivia activity around 0600z on 14.108.5 MHz from VK
        and several diff. EU countries. I agreed with you on the 80 meter
        activity in the evening. Out here on the West Coast (US) 3585 kc
        there are some W7, VE7 and VE6, usually around 0400z.

        Hope to hear you on sometime. 73, Dave - K7CCC

        --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "digitalw3oq" <w3oq@e...> wrote:
        > I am new to Olivia, using the Linux disc - Somewhat awkward, but
        > doable - However, I can find almost no activity on 14,107.5 - I have
        > had better luck in the evenings on 3585 (USB, 1000 Hz - as that is all
        > the Linux disc supports) - I would encourage Olivia Ops to watch for
        > evening activity on 3585.
      • David Michael Gaytko // WD4KPD
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 12, 2005
          if you are using GMFSK all the various speeds are doable...
          after you select olivia, got to the menu of modem settings. its all there.

          david/wd4kpd

          digitalw3oq wrote:

          >I am new to Olivia, using the Linux disc - Somewhat awkward, but
          >doable - However, I can find almost no activity on 14,107.5 - I have
          >had better luck in the evenings on 3585 (USB, 1000 Hz - as that is all
          >the Linux disc supports) - I would encourage Olivia Ops to watch for
          >evening activity on 3585.
          >

          >The ARRL now lists Olivia as a "valid" digital mode for
          >US hams. Go to the ARRL site for more information.
          >http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/techchar/
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ron Walters
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 13, 2005
            Would love to join you up on 80 meters but the QRN here in the South
            (Florida) is very high in the evening. What I would like to see is some
            activity on 30 and 40 meters in the evening. Suggest 500hz and not 1000Hz

            Ron W4LDE

            digitalw3oq wrote:

            > I am new to Olivia, using the Linux disc - Somewhat awkward, but
            > doable - However, I can find almost no activity on 14,107.5 - I have
            > had better luck in the evenings on 3585 (USB, 1000 Hz - as that is all
            > the Linux disc supports) - I would encourage Olivia Ops to watch for
            > evening activity on 3585.
            >

            > The ARRL now lists Olivia as a "valid" digital mode for
            > US hams. Go to the ARRL site for more information.
            > http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/techchar/

          • Jerry
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 13, 2005
              --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Ron Walters <w4lde@c...> wrote:
              Would love to join you up on 80 meters but the QRN here in the South
              (Florida) is very high in the evening. What I would like to see is
              some
              activity on 30 and 40 meters in the evening. Suggest 500hz and not
              1000Hz

              Ron W4LDE

              Ron, Agree on 30 meter Olivia, 500hz mode. Where would be a good
              place to try, 10.138.5 center? Lets make 30 meters more active! No
              room here for 80 meter antenna and on 40 meters I have local QRM in
              the "digital" part of the band.

              73,

              Jerry K0HZI
            • dl8le
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 5, 2009
                During the last days with my friends not available for our daily skeds on 80 m (3581.5 + 1500 Hz) at night I tried 20 m, 30 m and 40 m. The results, however, were pretty bad:

                Still lot of activity around 2100 UTC or later on 20 m and lower, but nobody in Olivia. There was nobody on the frequencies announced here on the reflector on 20 m.

                The same on 40 m, with only one (EB5DET) anwsering one of the many CQ's there (just above the PSK activities).

                On 30 m more than 200 Hz bandwidth is not allowed in Region I below 10.140, therefore I called here above the PSK-frequencies as well to allow others to find the signal in the waterfall.

                I wonder where all the group members are ... In order to keep Olivia alive it would probably quite helpful if there are others which would be qrv in Olivia and enjoy the benefits of this excellent qrp-mode!

                73 and see you in Olivia again!

                Juergen, DL8LE
              • john
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 5, 2009
                  Calling on 7036.75 + 1500Hz
                  Time 2339UTC

                  John VE1CDD
                  Skype Name: ve1cdd-ve1hfx

                  dl8le wrote:
                  > During the last days with my friends not available for our daily skeds on 80 m (3581.5 + 1500 Hz) at night I tried 20 m, 30 m and 40 m. The results, however, were pretty bad:
                  >
                  > Still lot of activity around 2100 UTC or later on 20 m and lower, but nobody in Olivia. There was nobody on the frequencies announced here on the reflector on 20 m.
                  >
                  > The same on 40 m, with only one (EB5DET) anwsering one of the many CQ's there (just above the PSK activities).
                  >
                  > On 30 m more than 200 Hz bandwidth is not allowed in Region I below 10.140, therefore I called here above the PSK-frequencies as well to allow others to find the signal in the waterfall.
                  >
                  > I wonder where all the group members are ... In order to keep Olivia alive it would probably quite helpful if there are others which would be qrv in Olivia and enjoy the benefits of this excellent qrp-mode!
                  >
                  > 73 and see you in Olivia again!
                  >
                  > Juergen, DL8LE

                • Chris Gerber
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
                    Hello to All

                    There is always some activity on Olivia on all bands.
                    On 20m I have everyday my qso around 7:30 to 8:00 UTC
                    with Dick 3D2BA with Mode Olivia 1000/32
                    Or on 40m as well as very late on 80m
                    Seems due the fact that everyone thinks the condx are bad,
                    they have stopped to listen, or even calling cq..

                    73 Chris HB9BDM

                    john schrieb:

                    Calling on 7036.75 + 1500Hz
                    Time 2339UTC

                    John VE1CDD
                    Skype Name: ve1cdd-ve1hfx

                    dl8le wrote:
                    > During the last days with my friends not available for our daily skeds on 80 m (3581.5 + 1500 Hz) at night I tried 20 m, 30 m and 40 m. The results, however, were pretty bad:
                    >
                    > Still lot of activity around 2100 UTC or later on 20 m and lower, but nobody in Olivia. There was nobody on the frequencies announced here on the reflector on 20 m.
                    >
                    > The same on 40 m, with only one (EB5DET) anwsering one of the many CQ's there (just above the PSK activities).
                    >
                    > On 30 m more than 200 Hz bandwidth is not allowed in Region I below 10.140, therefore I called here above the PSK-frequencies as well to allow others to find the signal in the waterfall.
                    >
                    > I wonder where all the group members are ... In order to keep Olivia alive it would probably quite helpful if there are others which would be qrv in Olivia and enjoy the benefits of this excellent qrp-mode!
                    >
                    > 73 and see you in Olivia again!
                    >
                    > Juergen, DL8LE

                    > OliviaData Group web site http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/oliviadata
                    > Olivia Frequencies and Information web site http://hflink. com/olivia/
                    > To change message delivery: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/oliviadata /join
                    > To stop email, send an email to: oliviadata-nomail@ yahoogroups. com

                  • w6dtw
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
                      Maybe we need an OLIVIA contest to help get people interested?

                      ...dtw
                    • Andrew Thomas G8GNI / M5AEX
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
                        Great idea

                        Andrew G8GNI

                        Maybe we need an OLIVIA contest to help get people interested?

                        ...dtw

                      • jhaynesatalumni
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
                          --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "w6dtw" <w6dtw@...> wrote:

                          > Maybe we need an OLIVIA contest to help get people interested?

                          Somehow this makes me think of having a turtle race!
                        • Tom
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 7, 2009
                            --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "jhaynesatalumni" <jhhaynes@...> wrote:

                            > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "w6dtw" <w6dtw@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Maybe we need an OLIVIA contest to help get people interested?
                            > >
                            > Somehow this makes me think of having a turtle race!

                            I thought Turtle Racers preferred JT65A or some form of QRSS for communications. heehee

                            Best 73

                            Tom NU4G
                            Your Friendly yet Curmudgeonly ListKeeper
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 7, 2009
                              --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "w6dtw" <w6dtw@...> wrote:

                              > Maybe we need an OLIVIA contest to help get people interested?
                              >
                              > ...dtw

                              An Olivia contest might help increase activity but I'm not sure if personally I like the idea.

                              Of course, we could have the contest on 2000 hz mode and do like the RTTY guys and all run KW amps and swamp the entire data band for a whole weekend! That would get some attention. I guess if contests are accepted as being OK to jam entire bands (on other modes) for days at a time - why not Olivia?

                              Now, that last paragraph definitely is sarcastic and I admit it. Having got that out of my system .... an Olivia contest limited in time and space still might be worth the effort.
                            • dl8le
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 7, 2009
                                We had this PSK125/250 contest some weeks ago and I have seen a lot of activity, therefore a contest in 250/8 or 250/4 could be a good way to increase activity in Olivia as well. A year ago there was a DRCC contest even in JT65 (!), and might be an Olivia contest could be organised the same way (I will try to forward this e-mail to Andy, K3UK).

                                There is a lot of Olivia activity on 80m in the evening (3581.5 khz +), but as mentioned before, there is a lot of activity in PSK on 40 and up but - at least in the evenings when I can be qrv during the week - nearly nil in Olivia. This means on 80 m Olivia has been some how established already. If we would like to see Olivia on a similar path as PSK (not so much activity years before, only a little bit on 20 m, but now quite popular on all bands) than a certain level of activity is necessary to get others interested in trying this mode. This activity should continue for 24 hours (as long as bands are open) and not only be limited to skeds with friends we meet quite regularly.

                                Thanks for reading, and hope to meet you in Olivia!

                                --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "garylinnrobinson" <grobin1949@...> wrote:

                                > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "w6dtw" <w6dtw@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Maybe we need an OLIVIA contest to help get people interested?
                                > >
                                > > ...dtw
                                > >

                                > An Olivia contest might help increase activity but I'm not sure if personally I like the idea.
                                >
                                > Of course, we could have the contest on 2000 hz mode and do like the RTTY guys and all run KW amps and swamp the entire data band for a whole weekend! That would get some attention. I guess if contests are accepted as being OK to jam entire bands (on other modes) for days at a time - why not Olivia?
                                >
                                > Now, that last paragraph definitely is sarcastic and I admit it. Having got that out of my system .... an Olivia contest limited in time and space still might be worth the effort.

                              • Laurie, VK3AMA
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 7, 2009
                                  One way to increase Olivia activity and improve your Olivia QSO count is
                                  to let people know what mode you are operating and on what band.

                                  Head over to the HamSpots.net pages. There is a page setup for Olivia
                                  modes. The Hellschreiber ,30M and Pactor groups are very active with
                                  their own pages and use the site to schedule contacts, spot interesting
                                  activity, experiment with different modes, etc.

                                  Selfspotting is allowed and encouraged. It is an easy way to let people
                                  know what you are doing or who you are seeing on the bands.

                                  There are no real restrictions on what you post. Use it to help make
                                  those Olivia contacts.

                                  The Olivia page is at this link... http://www.hamspots.net/spotit.php?g=o

                                  de Laurie, VK3AMA

                                  dl8le wrote:
                                  > During the last days with my friends not available for our daily skeds on 80 m (3581.5 + 1500 Hz) at night I tried 20 m, 30 m and 40 m. The results, however, were pretty bad:
                                  >
                                  > Still lot of activity around 2100 UTC or later on 20 m and lower, but nobody in Olivia. There was nobody on the frequencies announced here on the reflector on 20 m.
                                  >
                                  > The same on 40 m, with only one (EB5DET) anwsering one of the many CQ's there (just above the PSK activities).
                                  >
                                  > On 30 m more than 200 Hz bandwidth is not allowed in Region I below 10.140, therefore I called here above the PSK-frequencies as well to allow others to find the signal in the waterfall.
                                  >
                                  > I wonder where all the group members are ... In order to keep Olivia alive it would probably quite helpful if there are others which would be qrv in Olivia and enjoy the benefits of this excellent qrp-mode!
                                  >
                                  > 73 and see you in Olivia again!
                                  >
                                  > Juergen, DL8LE

                                • Gerry Lawlor
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 7, 2009
                                    HI Juergen - in relation to your comments I would note that I can
                                    often find 1000/32 Olivia on around 3596.5 dial USB in the evenings (SSB
                                    permitting) and also lower down in 500/16 around 3583 USB. 7 MHz has
                                    been less successful at present. What will happen on 7 MHz after 29th
                                    March under the new band plan will be interesting to observe. I am not
                                    keeping my breath held though!.

                                    We now have permission in EI for data modes operation on 10 MHz above
                                    10140 from 29th March provided the bandwidth is a max of 500 Hz - that
                                    will allow a little more activity from EI when the higher bands are
                                    dead. I will be looking hopefully for Olivia activity there.

                                    As a general comment it would help greatly if there was some agreement
                                    on a channelised approach to operating Olivia. Its very convenient to
                                    be able to scan rapidly through fixed channels without tuning around. A
                                    channelised approach would also help in reducing adjacent channel
                                    interference.

                                    73
                                    Gerry/EI9FV
                                  • dl8le
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 7, 2009
                                      Hi Gerry,

                                      500 Hz are the max. allowed below 3600 according to Region I bandplan, therefore I use 500 Hz and lower, mainly around 3581.5 khz dialing frequency and around +1500 Hz. This is just above the frequencies where you normally find the PSK users. There is a lot of activity (by the way: we met there as well on Jan 13), and therefore I don't see to do something special to increase the Olivia activity. Regardind 7 and 10 Mhz we have to see if activity will really increase to the same level as PSK has now. I personally don't believe, however, that this will work despite of all the benefits such an approach would have. If there will be some convention then people might follow at the end (on 80 m, for example it seems to work, because many users try to pay attention to frequencies which are in use already and set their audio frequencies close to the other user, but it depends on the first one who shows up ...).

                                      --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Gerry Lawlor <ei9fv@...> wrote:

                                      > HI Juergen - in relation to your comments I would note that I can
                                      > often find 1000/32 Olivia on around 3596.5 dial USB in the evenings (SSB
                                      > permitting) and also lower down in 500/16 around 3583 USB. 7 MHz has
                                      > been less successful at present. What will happen on 7 MHz after 29th
                                      > March under the new band plan will be interesting to observe. I am not
                                      > keeping my breath held though!.
                                      >
                                      > We now have permission in EI for data modes operation on 10 MHz above
                                      > 10140 from 29th March provided the bandwidth is a max of 500 Hz - that
                                      > will allow a little more activity from EI when the higher bands are
                                      > dead. I will be looking hopefully for Olivia activity there.
                                      >
                                      > As a general comment it would help greatly if there was some agreement
                                      > on a channelised approach to operating Olivia. Its very convenient to
                                      > be able to scan rapidly through fixed channels without tuning around. A
                                      > channelised approach would also help in reducing adjacent channel
                                      > interference.
                                      >
                                      > 73
                                      > Gerry/EI9FV

                                    • dl8le
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 7, 2009
                                        Thanks for the link, Laurie. I will give it a try. The only problem with specialized web sites is the fact that the spots are not distributed via the other DX-Clusters. This happened with Andy's K3UK digital cluster as well, and at the end it was no success. The best is to spot somebody in a standard cluster if you see somebody and then activity will increase at least for some time after the spot.

                                        To give you an example: I called on 30 m for about an hour until YV5KAJ showed up at the end. I sent a spot, and after some time others did show up and called him.

                                        By the way: my intention is not to have more qso's for myself (this is a side effect) but to increase the activity in Olivia because I strongly believe it is an excellent qrp mode and should deserve much more attention as it has right now.

                                        Another information: Andy, K3UK, is presently reviewing how he could set up a contest in Olivia. I suggested him to look for a Saturday and a time between 1200z and 2400z. If there are other proposals please send an e-mail to him yourself (or to me and I would forward the comment to him). You find his e-mail address in qrz.com

                                        --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Laurie, VK3AMA" <groups4@...> wrote:

                                        > One way to increase Olivia activity and improve your Olivia QSO count is
                                        > to let people know what mode you are operating and on what band.
                                        >
                                        > Head over to the HamSpots.net pages. There is a page setup for Olivia
                                        > modes. The Hellschreiber ,30M and Pactor groups are very active with
                                        > their own pages and use the site to schedule contacts, spot interesting
                                        > activity, experiment with different modes, etc.
                                        >
                                        > Selfspotting is allowed and encouraged. It is an easy way to let people
                                        > know what you are doing or who you are seeing on the bands.
                                        >
                                        > There are no real restrictions on what you post. Use it to help make
                                        > those Olivia contacts.
                                        >
                                        > The Olivia page is at this link... http://www.hamspots.net/spotit.php?g=o
                                        >
                                        > de Laurie, VK3AMA
                                        >
                                        > dl8le wrote:
                                        > > During the last days with my friends not available for our daily skeds on 80 m (3581.5 + 1500 Hz) at night I tried 20 m, 30 m and 40 m. The results, however, were pretty bad:
                                        > >
                                        > > Still lot of activity around 2100 UTC or later on 20 m and lower, but nobody in Olivia. There was nobody on the frequencies announced here on the reflector on 20 m.
                                        > >
                                        > > The same on 40 m, with only one (EB5DET) anwsering one of the many CQ's there (just above the PSK activities).
                                        > >
                                        > > On 30 m more than 200 Hz bandwidth is not allowed in Region I below 10.140, therefore I called here above the PSK-frequencies as well to allow others to find the signal in the waterfall.
                                        > >
                                        > > I wonder where all the group members are ... In order to keep Olivia alive it would probably quite helpful if there are others which would be qrv in Olivia and enjoy the benefits of this excellent qrp-mode!
                                        > >
                                        > > 73 and see you in Olivia again!
                                        > >
                                        > > Juergen, DL8LE

                                      • Pasquale Casale
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 7, 2009
                                          Hello all ham
                                          I have verry activiti in 20, 30 and 40 the olivia mode in 16/500 i will havw test in 8/250 tomorro at 20 utc pse help for tes
                                          Tnx 73
                                          Enviado desde mi BlackBerry de Movistar

> [...]

                                          > > During the last days with my friends not available for our daily skeds on 80 m (3581.5 + 1500 Hz) at night I tried 20 m, 30 m and 40 m. The results, however, were pretty bad:
                                          > >
                                          > > Still lot of activity around 2100 UTC or later on 20 m and lower, but nobody in Olivia. There was nobody on the frequencies announced here on the reflector on 20 m.
                                          > >
                                          > > The same on 40 m, with only one (EB5DET) anwsering one of the many CQ's there (just above the PSK activities).
                                          > >
                                          > > On 30 m more than 200 Hz bandwidth is not allowed in Region I below 10.140, therefore I called here above the PSK-frequencies as well to allow others to find the signal in the waterfall.
                                          > >
                                          > > I wonder where all the group members are ... In order to keep Olivia alive it would probably quite helpful if there are others which would be qrv in Olivia and enjoy the benefits of this excellent qrp-mode!

                                          .

                                          Yahoo! Groups Links