Who set Olivia Modes frequencies

  • Fred Darrah
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 7, 2009
      Hello all,
      I realize everyone has to be able to find a place to operate Olivia. The places to find Olivia contacts were not placed by majority vote.
      Many take the 14.075 area because it states it is there. The truth is it does not help weak signal modes as JT65A. It produces much degrading of the bandpass. There is no reason you can not put two 500 hz signals in each 1000 hz at 14.103 up . If you desire narrow modes put four 250 hz in each 1000 hz. The area at 14.103 and up is under utilized. The areas were not set with any considerations as I see it. I love Olivia and have made well over 1000 QSO's in the mode. The narrow modes 250 hz are able to be conducted anywhere Digital or RTTY modes presently are.There should be sending standards Such as 250/8, 500/16, 1000/32. You can change after contact to whatever mode you wish.Then you know for each width what the tones are.

      The problem is Olivia operators have no real time web site devoted to messages as JT65A does. I think the RSID may be a good idea but considerate operation to standards seems to be better.

      73 Fred N9GUE
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 7, 2009
        I agree - I think we need band plan standards for all the digital modes. The problem is that there appears to be multiple "groups" and or individuals that take it upon themselves to pronounce what frequency is for what mode.

        I would like to see some leadership from the A.R.R.L. and other organizations of the same type in other parts of the world work on an come up with a set of voluntary digital band plans.

        Something akin to the voluntary repeater coordination we have in the U.S.A. - Not to imply that it would be as easy to set up a set of digital mode band plans.

        But we need one voice (even if it's a group of organizations) to bring leadership.

        And it shouldn't involve the F.C.C. either OR bad things will happen hi hi

        And it shouldn't just be 5 guys who use PSK or 2 guys who use Olivia either that make the decisions - it needs input from all digital users and world wide input since our digi modes get out all over the world.

        And btw, the problem is just not an Olivia problem. It seems every other mode has people who decided what freq they should use for that mode. If I go below 14.075 I get PSKers and Hellschreiber people telling me that is their freq. If I go above the RTTY and JT65A say go away.

        If I go up to 14.106 plus or minus I get ALE, Pactor, Amtor, RTTY, and lots of other fun stuff - including SSB.

        And the European Olivia users seem to be in LOVE with 1000/32 mode on or about the 14.105 area - plus and minus. I have pretty much stopped using 1000/32 mode - but I still think it should have it's place. If we all tried to utilize that area for 500 and 250 hz Olivia it would cause problems there too AND it wouldn't take long before some other NEW mode would decide it was theirs anyway ...

        And of course the endless RTTY contests use any and all freqs hi hi

        We need some leadership and coordination before the sun spot hits a peak (if that ever happens hi hi) or we will have bedlam on some bands.

        ---Gary WB8ROL

        --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Darrah" <cfdarrah@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > I realize everyone has to be able to find a place to operate Olivia. The places to find Olivia contacts were not placed by majority vote.
        > Many take the 14.075 area because it states it is there. The truth is it does not help weak signal modes as JT65A. It produces much degrading of the bandpass. There is no reason you can not put two 500 hz signals in each 1000 hz at 14.103 up . If you desire narrow modes put four 250 hz in each 1000 hz. The area at 14.103 and up is under utilized. The areas were not set with any considerations as I see it. I love Olivia and have made well over 1000 QSO's in the mode. The narrow modes 250 hz are able to be conducted anywhere Digital or RTTY modes presently are.There should be sending standards Such as 250/8, 500/16, 1000/32. You can change after contact to whatever mode you wish.Then you know for each width what the tones are.
        >
        > The problem is Olivia operators have no real time web site devoted to messages as JT65A does. I think the RSID may be a good idea but considerate operation to standards seems to be better.
        >
        > 73 Fred N9GUE

      • Mike Knell
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 7, 2009
          On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 1:54 AM, garylinnrobinson<grobin1949@...> wrote:
          > I agree - I think we need band plan standards for all the digital modes. The problem is that there appears to be multiple "groups" and or individuals that take it upon themselves to pronounce what frequency is for what mode.
          >
          > I would like to see some leadership from the A.R.R.L. and other organizations of the same type in other parts of the world work on an come up with a set of voluntary digital band plans.

          Band plans are already maintained by the three IARU regions for their
          respective parts of the world. I'm sure there are working groups
          looking at band planning all the time, and I'm sure that you could
          find the relevant contact details on the web if you want to find out
          how to get involved.

          m.
        • w6dtw
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 7, 2009
            It's perhaps ironic that this question got posted to a Yahoo Group which links on its to the HFLINK "band plan".

            HFLINK seems to be the most likely coordinating body for digital modes, simply because it's the group that's done the most comprehensive listings. That being said; I've always been suspicious of the HFLINK listings because they are confusing and in some cases downright contradictory. Don't believe me? Check out:

            http://hflink.com/olivia/

            http://hflink.com/jt65/

            Note that on each page 14076 is shown as the center for the mode in question. Thus an Olivian will say "14076 is for Olivia!" and a JT65A-um-ian? will claim the same.

            The reality I believe is that the HFLINK people are focused on maintaining a digital bandplan that serves their ALE deployment, and any accuracy in their non-ALE bandplan in incidental. So if the HFLINK "bandplan" dude starts a fight between Olivians and JT65A-er-ians they don't care; as long as both stay out of the ALE frequencies.

            I would be cautious about asking the ARRL to get involved. I agree that there needs to be some coordination. Just remember that the last time the ARRL got involved with digital coordination we almost wound up with a refarming where subbands would have been determined based on bandwidth. NOTE THAT THIS PLAN AS PROPOSED WOULD HAVE ELIMINATED OLIVIA 1000 AS AN OPTION.

            http://www.arrl.org/announce/bandwidth.html

            ...dtw

            http://www.arrl.org/announce/bandwidth.html
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 7, 2009
              The A.R.R.L. idea was NOT all bad - it had it's problems though AND it was being pushed towards the F.C.C. to make it part of Part 97.

              What we need is VOLUNTARY coordination with leadership and input from all interested parties.

              I don't trust HFLINK people and I certainly don't want the PSK31 digital club to do it.

              Who else is there organize us?

              Only the A.R.R.L. and other groups like it around the world can have a chance to get it off the ground.

              I don't think we need new rules or laws - we need some voluntary coordination. Voluntary coordination can be changed, modified, and tuned without having the F.C.C. getting involved or irritated.

              Unfortunately, I don't see it happening any time soon - maybe never.

              So get ready for a little chaos in a few years when Cycle 24 can muster up 3 or 4 sunspots hi hi

              I'll hang out on 15 and 10mtrs with a little more elbow room I guess.

              ---Gary WB8ROL

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 7, 2009
                Maybe the IARU is the way to go BUT their present plans lack the granularity to address the problems we are facing. I suspect they get a narrow range of input too.

                For example, the Region 2 plan says on 14.070 - 14.089 - recommended bandwidth 500hz or less - all narrowband modes and digimodes

                That means it's recommended that I can run Olivia 500/16 on 14.070 ... wonder if anyone will complain to me hi hi?

                We need more specific voluntary freq allocations for specific modes and bandwidths which I think they would never adopt.

                And even if the IARU band plans were useful enough we need organizations like the A.R.R.L. around the world that have local officers, etc. to nudge people to use those plans.

                How many people get a letter from the IARU lately saying - hey try our band plan?

                In any event - as I said elsewhere, I suspect very little useful will be done and when the next cycle peaks it will be bedlam as usual ....

                ---Gary WB8ROL

                --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Mike Knell <mpk@...> wrote:

                > Band plans are already maintained by the three IARU regions for their
                > respective parts of the world. I'm sure there are working groups
                > looking at band planning all the time, and I'm sure that you could
                > find the relevant contact details on the web if you want to find out
                > how to get involved.
                >
                > m.

              • Joe Vilardo
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 8, 2009
                  Gary

                  Why re-invent the wheel?  take a look at what is in place now:  http://hflink.com/olivia/ .  It is a rational approach for calling frequencies using Olivia and I find that I have the best luck for dx contacts when I use the suggestions.  Based on what I have expierenced I think the Region I DX ( Europe, Russia, Africa) follow these suggestions for calling frequencies.

                  Why not just support what is in place ?

                  Joe

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 9, 2009
                    I have looked at the HFLink site Olivia frequencies AND I don't have a real problem with the Olivia freqs they publish BUT a LOT of the rest of the digital ham world either does, or doesn't know about it, or doesn't care.

                    And who decides at HFLink what the Olivia freqs are? Who has input that counts? And what about all the other modes we have to live with.

                    The "wheel" might be nice BUT it ain't working all that well.

                    If I had a nickel every time I was on one of the Olivia frequencies AND been told that this WAS a JT65A freq, or Hellscreiber, or PSK freq, etc - I could take one heck of a vacation.

                    And it seems every time a new experimental mode is tested it often ends up on an Olivia freq.

                    I think we would be served better by something like a "repeater council" backed by numerous groups that are more transparent and actively canvas for input and represent ALL modes and experimental new ones. They need to be high profile enough that you don't have to hunt that hard to find them. Not all hams use the internet.

                    But ... as I've said several times before - I don't see things changing or improving any time soon - if ever. So, I'm just thinking out loud about why we can't do better.

                    ---Gary WB8ROL

                    --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Vilardo" <jvilardo@...> wrote:

                    > Gary
                    >
                    > Why re-invent the wheel? take a look at what is in place now: http://hflink.com/olivia/ . It is a rational approach for calling frequencies using Olivia and I find that I have the best luck for dx contacts when I use the suggestions. Based on what I have expierenced I think the Region I DX ( Europe, Russia, Africa) follow these suggestions for calling frequencies.
                    >
                    > Why not just support what is in place ?
                    >

                    > Joe

                  • Karl F. Larsen

                      Just a thought. You do not make a frequency an Olivia one like 14.075
                      MHz by talking about it here. You cause it to be an Olivia frequency by
                      USING IT!!!

                      73 Karl K5DI

                      garylinnrobinson wrote:
                      > I have looked at the HFLink site Olivia frequencies AND I don't have a real problem with the Olivia freqs they publish BUT a LOT of the rest of the digital ham world either does, or doesn't know about it, or doesn't care.
                      >
                      > And who decides at HFLink what the Olivia freqs are? Who has input that counts? And what about all the other modes we have to live with.
                      >
                      > The "wheel" might be nice BUT it ain't working all that well.
                      >
                      > If I had a nickel every time I was on one of the Olivia frequencies AND been told that this WAS a JT65A freq, or Hellscreiber, or PSK freq, etc - I could take one heck of a vacation.
                      >
                      > And it seems every time a new experimental mode is tested it often ends up on an Olivia freq.
                      >
                      > I think we would be served better by something like a "repeater council" backed by numerous groups that are more transparent and actively canvas for input and represent ALL modes and experimental new ones. They need to be high profile enough that you don't have to hunt that hard to find them. Not all hams use the internet.
                      >
                      > But ... as I've said several times before - I don't see things changing or improving any time soon - if ever. So, I'm just thinking out loud about why we can't do better.
                      >
                      > ---Gary WB8ROL
                      >

                      > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Vilardo" <jvilardo@...> wrote:
                      >> Gary
                      >>
                      >> Why re-invent the wheel? take a look at what is in place now: http://hflink.com/olivia/ . It is a rational approach for calling frequencies using Olivia and I find that I have the best luck for dx contacts when I use the suggestions. Based on what I have expierenced I think the Region I DX ( Europe, Russia, Africa) follow these suggestions for calling frequencies.
                      >>
                      >> Why not just support what is in place ?
                      >>

                      >> Joe

                      - --

                      Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
                      Linux User
                      #450462 http://counter.li.org
                      Key ID = 3951B48D

                    • donroden@hiwaay.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 7, 2009
                        I'm listning to 14.07640 right now, and I can't figure out the mode
                        .... RSID would be Sooooo Nice.

                        Don WA4NPL

                        Quoting "Fred Darrah" <cfdarrah@...>:

                        > Hello all,
                        > I realize everyone has to be able to find a place to operate Olivia.
                        > The places to find Olivia contacts were not placed by majority vote.
                        > Many take the 14.075 area because it states it is there. The truth
                        > is it does not help weak signal modes as JT65A. It produces much
                        > degrading of the bandpass. There is no reason you can not put two
                        > 500 hz signals in each 1000 hz at 14.103 up . If you desire narrow
                        > modes put four 250 hz in each 1000 hz. The area at 14.103 and up is
                        > under utilized. The areas were not set with any considerations as I
                        > see it. I love Olivia and have made well over 1000 QSO's in the
                        > mode. The narrow modes 250 hz are able to be conducted anywhere
                        > Digital or RTTY modes presently are.There should be sending
                        > standards Such as 250/8, 500/16, 1000/32. You can change after
                        > contact to whatever mode you wish.Then you know for each width what
                        > the tones are.
                        >
                        > The problem is Olivia operators have no real time web site devoted
                        > to messages as JT65A does. I think the RSID may be a good idea but
                        > considerate operation to standards seems to be better.
                        >
                        > 73 Fred N9GUE

                      • Pete
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 7, 2009
                          More than likely 16/500 32/1000 normally on 14.107.5 and dont forget
                          RSID has to be activated by transmitting station de Pete zl2aub

                        • donroden@hiwaay.net
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 7, 2009
                            Too narrow for 16/500...... more like mfsk but wider than 4 / 125
                            I don't hear enough of the other modes to be able to identify them by sound

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 8, 2009
                              Hi Don,

                              Probably 8/250 or 4/250. The bandwidth should be visible in the
                              waterfall. It could however also be Domino EX 4, also quite popular. Not
                              as robust but faster than comparable Olivia modes. I suggest you put a
                              speaker in the PC audio out plug and listen to various modes, so you
                              will get "an ear" for them.

                              --
                              73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://ilgonis.orgfree.com