Re: [olivia] Olivia 250/4 mode ...

  • Simon (HB9DRV)
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 4, 2009
      I've just seen PD2RPS on ~ 14.074 - and don't forget to engage RSID in both
      TX and RX!

      I may hear you - band is nicely opening up at the moment but there's a big
      lump of rock between myself and NA.

      Simon Brown, HB9DRV
      www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 4, 2009
        I usually run about 8 on the Sync Integration when I run the "faster" non standard modes like 250/4, 500/4, 500/8, 1000/8, and 1000/16. It results in significantly better cpy on a very weak signal that you are missing some of the text on with a lower reading.

        On standard modes (125/4, 250/8, 500/16, 1000/32) I usually set mine at about 4

        With a setting of 4 on standard modes and 8 on the "faster" non standard modes the DELAY is about the same. I would NOT leave Sync Integration on 8 while using the standard modes, though, because the delay is too long and there is little benefit in my opinion.

        But increasing it on the faster non standard modes does help copy a lot going from 4 to 8.

        That may or may not be different in other programs but seems to be the case with FLDigi from my operating experience.

        --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Warren Moxley <k5wgm@...> wrote:

        > Not having modified the Sync Integration Period I did not know what it does.. I noticed that it is set to 4. What is the effect of changing it to 8? That is what is the advantages(pros) and what are the disadvantages(cons)?
        >
        > Warren - K5WGM

      • Stu Bryant
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 6, 2009
          So do these changes require that both stations in a QSO have the same settings- or will changing my end affect the other? Curious about compatibility issues being induced.

          Stu AF6IT

          --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "garylinnrobinson" <grobin1949@...> wrote:

          > I usually run about 8 on the Sync Integration when I run the "faster" non standard modes like 250/4, 500/4, 500/8, 1000/8, and 1000/16. It results in significantly better cpy on a very weak signal that you are missing some of the text on with a lower reading.
          >
          > On standard modes (125/4, 250/8, 500/16, 1000/32) I usually set mine at about 4
          >
          > With a setting of 4 on standard modes and 8 on the "faster" non standard modes the DELAY is about the same. I would NOT leave Sync Integration on 8 while using the standard modes, though, because the delay is too long and there is little benefit in my opinion.
          >
          > But increasing it on the faster non standard modes does help copy a lot going from 4 to 8.
          >
          > That may or may not be different in other programs but seems to be the case with FLDigi from my operating experience.

        • Rick Westerfield
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 7, 2009
            Both stations must have identical link parameters or all is lost. Stick with the common settings and you will usually be Ok but there will always be a few signals you will not be able to decode.

            Rick - KH2DF

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 7, 2009
              ABSOLUTELY NOT! Both Stations do NOT have to have the Same Sync Integration Settings. If course, BOTH must have 250hz bandwith and 4 tones to talk to each other in 250/4 mode BUT DO NOT have to have the same Sync Integration Period and Search Tune Margin settings.

              Yes, there will always be Olivia signals that are so weak you won't be able to decode BUT THERE WILL BE MANY MORE if you just pick one settings and leave it there.

              Do that if you want to BUT you will be under utilizing the mode. And short changing yourself.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 7, 2009
                This proliferation of mode parameters that are "different" from "standard" may not be worth the aggravation to the rest of us when you call CQ. Please understand, I absolutely love the Olivia mode!! I guess this is why so many hams cling to PSK31 and RTTY . . . simple, easy, no muss, no fuss.

                Rick - KH2DF

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 7, 2009
                  Patrick (MultiPSK) has designed something called RSID which is in current fldigi releases and will be in the HRD/DM780 5.0 betas (July 2009).

                  When enabled a ~2 second ID is sent before the transmission, this identifies the mode being used, making it much easier to use 'exotic' modes such as Olivia.

                  So I expect this to be widely used by fldigi / MultiPSK / DM780 by the end of 2009. Sadly MixW doesn't seem to be actively developed any longer (I could be - and probably am wrong).

                  Add this to cheap and cheerful SDR receivers and we'll all be rocking.

                  Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                  www.ham-radio-deluxe.com