Re: [olivia] Linux software for Olivia

  • Mike Miller
    Message 1 of 7 , May 27, 2009
      Hi Bob,

      Check out Fldigi.
      <http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html>

      Mike kc9doa

      On 27 May 2009 at 20:38, Robert Rabin wrote:

      > I am looking for software to use Olivia on a Linux computer with the Tigertronics SignalLink USB controler. Does anyone have any recommendations?
      >
      > Thanks! - Bob KA5MIZ

    • Stu Bryant
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
        Hello, gang! I'm new here (first post) & fairly new to Olivia, but
        loving its effectiveness!

        I am fully on board the FlDigi/Linux bandwagon myself. I mostly use
        Ubuntu 64 bit (have to compile the FlDigi for it but it is quite easy).
        But I have also played with the very lean & efficient Puppy Linux distro
        which comes with FlDigi included- also available at the W1HKJ website.
        It is perfect for that old laptop which is too slow for anything else.
        Really revives old hardware!

        There was an ARQ thread going recently- has anyone tried the FLARQ
        companion to FlDigi? I know almost nothing about anything ARQ- and doubt
        that it will ever be my cup of tea- but might be of interest to those
        who are into ARQ. Didn't see it mentioned... BTW- FlDigi & FLARQ are
        Windows friendly as well, so don't overlook either of them because of
        your favorite flavor of OS.

        Anyway, glad to see some fellow enthusiasts of Olivia. Having some duty
        cycle problems with my rig, but hoping to get back on soon. Amazing how
        an otherwise dead band will suddenly erupt with life once I send a CQ in
        Olivia! See you on the waterfall!

        73 de Stu AF6IT
      • Simon (HB9DRV)
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
          > Anyway, glad to see some fellow enthusiasts of Olivia. Having some duty
          > cycle problems with my rig, but hoping to get back on soon. Amazing how
          > an otherwise dead band will suddenly erupt with life once I send a CQ in
          > Olivia! See you on the waterfall!

          Don't forget to use fldigi's RSID option to alert others that you're using
          Olivia :)

          Simon Brown, HB9DRV
          www.ham-radio-deluxe.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
            --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Robert Rabin <r.rabin@...> wrote:

            > I am looking for software to use Olivia on a Linux computer with the Tigertronics SignalLink USB controler. Does anyone have any recommendations?
            >
            > Thanks! - Bob KA5MIZ

            Bob,
            Been using FLDigi on several Linux distributions for a year or 2 now - currently use Kubuntu 9.04. Got my SignalLink USB last year and just unplugged my old BuxxCom interface and plugged in my SignalLink USB (only one plug to the computer, a USB plug), went into FLDigi settings and selected the USB soundcard in the SignalLink, unchecked the serial port for keying since the SignalLink doesn't require it and I was in business again.
            I did have to adjust the input/output audio knobs on the SignalLink unit AND set the Delay knob up some also - but not too far.
            Really like my SignalLink USB in Linux. I can surf the web and go to pages that have sound AND not accidentally send the sound over the air now since I am using the SignalLink USB's internal soundcard instead of my computers built in one.
            No problem running SignalLink USB on Linux at all and really love it!
            The only other software on Linux I know that has Olivia is GMFSK which is an OK program but not as many features as FLDigi.
          • Stu Bryant
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
              Here we see the author of one of the world's finest free software applications freely coaching someone how to best use a 'rival' package! I have nothing but the highest regard for Simon's effort with HRD/DM780 - as well as the folks who put the FlDigi package together. Their talent & dedication alone is quite remarkable enough. Then to see just how much their focus remains service to the amateur community and not to build a monument to themselves... It is just so refreshing to see this degree of comradery & collaboration. We hams are beneficiaries of a very wonderful gift indeed! I for one am most grateful! (Thank you Simon!)

              Stu AF6IT

              --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Simon \(HB9DRV\)" <simon.brown@...> wrote:

              <snip>

              > Don't forget to use fldigi's RSID option to alert others that you're using
              > Olivia :)
              >
              > Simon Brown, HB9DRV
              > www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

            • Simon (HB9DRV)
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
                Hi Stu,

                You may well see more collaboration in the future, at least in agreeing
                standards. I'm hoping to write a 'bells and whistles' Windows SDR console
                which *must* support the use of digital modes over a 96kHz portion of a
                band.

                I'll make more information available later...

                Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                www.ham-radio-deluxe.com