How to Check Your VFO Calibration

  • expeditionradio
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2009
      Good calibration of your transceiver can
      help you with DX and weak signal Olivia QSOs.

      It is easy to calibrate accurately to 1 Hz,
      test equipment is not needed.

      Here is a website with 2 easy methods for
      VFO Calibration check:.

      http://hflink.com/calibration

      73 Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA
    • donroden@hiwaay.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22, 2009
        To set the transceiver with your soundcard, set the waterfall width to
        a low limit of 400 cycles and a high limit of 700 cycles.

        Tune WWV using the AM mode and see how close the alternating 500 / 600
        cycle tones are on your computer monitor's 400-700 cycle scale. With
        most soundcards, it will be right on. If you use HRD or other
        computer interface with your rig, set the vfo freq to "all zeros"
        after the Mhz decimal. HRD gets you down to a single hertz ( cycle for
        us old guys ).

        Then switch to USB and observe where the 500 or 600 tones fall on the
        waterfall.

        The lines should be at the same place as when watching using the AM Mode.

        If not, adjust the master oscillator in your rig to make the USB tones
        match the AM tones.

        My TS-2000 was off by four cycles ( excuse me... four hertz ), but
        after setting the oscillator several months ago, I am amazed at the
        stability .. even from cold starts.

        Don WA4NPL

        Quoting expeditionradio <expeditionradio@...>:

        > Good calibration of your transceiver can
        > help you with DX and weak signal Olivia QSOs.
        >
        > It is easy to calibrate accurately to 1 Hz,
        > test equipment is not needed.
        >
        > Here is a website with 2 easy methods for
        > VFO Calibration check:.
        >
        > http://hflink.com/calibration
        >
        > 73 Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA

      • Jose A. Amador
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 22, 2009
          Don, your procedure looks interesting indeed...

          I have used Spectran, tuning 1 kHz offset and looking for a 1 kHz audio
          offset in Spectran. You can dig into fractions of hertz, but that
          becomes ridiculous when ionospheric Doppler can creep in (I have
          measured relative ionospheric Doppler that way too, as my radio is more
          stable after warmup in the long term).

          Maybe the AM/SSB switching is a good and new point with respect to my
          procedure I had not taken into consideration before, because on AM you
          can check your soundcard calibration at first against an atomic standard
          to proceed afterwards 8-)

          Another good software tool to use may be Visual Analyzer
          (http://www.sillanumsoft.org or www.simplify.it)

          73,

          Jose, CO2JA

          ---

          donroden@... wrote:

          > To set the transceiver with your soundcard, set the waterfall width to
          > a low limit of 400 cycles and a high limit of 700 cycles.
          >
          > Tune WWV using the AM mode and see how close the alternating 500 / 600
          > cycle tones are on your computer monitor's 400-700 cycle scale. With
          > most soundcards, it will be right on. If you use HRD or other
          > computer interface with your rig, set the vfo freq to "all zeros"
          > after the Mhz decimal. HRD gets you down to a single hertz ( cycle for
          > us old guys ).
          >
          > Then switch to USB and observe where the 500 or 600 tones fall on the
          > waterfall.
          >
          > The lines should be at the same place as when watching using the AM Mode.
          >
          > If not, adjust the master oscillator in your rig to make the USB tones
          > match the AM tones.
          >
          > My TS-2000 was off by four cycles ( excuse me... four hertz ), but
          > after setting the oscillator several months ago, I am amazed at the
          > stability .. even from cold starts.
          >

          > Don WA4NPL

          VI Conferencia Internacional de Energía Renovable, Ahorro de Energía y Educación Energética
          9 - 12 de Junio 2009, Palacio de las Convenciones
          ...Por una cultura energética sustentable
          www.ciercuba.com