Olivia Activity

  • dl8le
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 5, 2009
      During the last days with my friends not available for our daily skeds on 80 m (3581.5 + 1500 Hz) at night I tried 20 m, 30 m and 40 m. The results, however, were pretty bad:

      Still lot of activity around 2100 UTC or later on 20 m and lower, but nobody in Olivia. There was nobody on the frequencies announced here on the reflector on 20 m.

      The same on 40 m, with only one (EB5DET) anwsering one of the many CQ's there (just above the PSK activities).

      On 30 m more than 200 Hz bandwidth is not allowed in Region I below 10.140, therefore I called here above the PSK-frequencies as well to allow others to find the signal in the waterfall.

      I wonder where all the group members are ... In order to keep Olivia alive it would probably quite helpful if there are others which would be qrv in Olivia and enjoy the benefits of this excellent qrp-mode!

      73 and see you in Olivia again!

      Juergen, DL8LE
    • john
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 5, 2009
        Calling on 7036.75 + 1500Hz
        Time 2339UTC

        John VE1CDD
        Skype Name: ve1cdd-ve1hfx

        dl8le wrote:
        > During the last days with my friends not available for our daily skeds on 80 m (3581.5 + 1500 Hz) at night I tried 20 m, 30 m and 40 m. The results, however, were pretty bad:
        >
        > Still lot of activity around 2100 UTC or later on 20 m and lower, but nobody in Olivia. There was nobody on the frequencies announced here on the reflector on 20 m.
        >
        > The same on 40 m, with only one (EB5DET) anwsering one of the many CQ's there (just above the PSK activities).
        >
        > On 30 m more than 200 Hz bandwidth is not allowed in Region I below 10.140, therefore I called here above the PSK-frequencies as well to allow others to find the signal in the waterfall.
        >
        > I wonder where all the group members are ... In order to keep Olivia alive it would probably quite helpful if there are others which would be qrv in Olivia and enjoy the benefits of this excellent qrp-mode!
        >
        > 73 and see you in Olivia again!
        >
        > Juergen, DL8LE

      • Chris Gerber
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
          Hello to All

          There is always some activity on Olivia on all bands.
          On 20m I have everyday my qso around 7:30 to 8:00 UTC
          with Dick 3D2BA with Mode Olivia 1000/32
          Or on 40m as well as very late on 80m
          Seems due the fact that everyone thinks the condx are bad,
          they have stopped to listen, or even calling cq..

          73 Chris HB9BDM

          john schrieb:

          Calling on 7036.75 + 1500Hz
          Time 2339UTC

          John VE1CDD
          Skype Name: ve1cdd-ve1hfx

          dl8le wrote:
          > During the last days with my friends not available for our daily skeds on 80 m (3581.5 + 1500 Hz) at night I tried 20 m, 30 m and 40 m. The results, however, were pretty bad:
          >
          > Still lot of activity around 2100 UTC or later on 20 m and lower, but nobody in Olivia. There was nobody on the frequencies announced here on the reflector on 20 m.
          >
          > The same on 40 m, with only one (EB5DET) anwsering one of the many CQ's there (just above the PSK activities).
          >
          > On 30 m more than 200 Hz bandwidth is not allowed in Region I below 10.140, therefore I called here above the PSK-frequencies as well to allow others to find the signal in the waterfall.
          >
          > I wonder where all the group members are ... In order to keep Olivia alive it would probably quite helpful if there are others which would be qrv in Olivia and enjoy the benefits of this excellent qrp-mode!
          >
          > 73 and see you in Olivia again!
          >
          > Juergen, DL8LE

          > OliviaData Group web site http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/oliviadata
          > Olivia Frequencies and Information web site http://hflink. com/olivia/
          > To change message delivery: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/oliviadata /join
          > To stop email, send an email to: oliviadata-nomail@ yahoogroups. com

        • w6dtw
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
            Maybe we need an OLIVIA contest to help get people interested?

            ...dtw
          • Andrew Thomas G8GNI / M5AEX
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
              Great idea

              Andrew G8GNI

              Maybe we need an OLIVIA contest to help get people interested?

              ...dtw

            • jhaynesatalumni
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 6, 2009
                --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "w6dtw" <w6dtw@...> wrote:

                > Maybe we need an OLIVIA contest to help get people interested?

                Somehow this makes me think of having a turtle race!
              • Tom
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 7, 2009
                  --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "jhaynesatalumni" <jhhaynes@...> wrote:

                  > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "w6dtw" <w6dtw@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Maybe we need an OLIVIA contest to help get people interested?
                  > >
                  > Somehow this makes me think of having a turtle race!

                  I thought Turtle Racers preferred JT65A or some form of QRSS for communications. heehee

                  Best 73

                  Tom NU4G
                  Your Friendly yet Curmudgeonly ListKeeper
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 7, 2009
                    --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "w6dtw" <w6dtw@...> wrote:

                    > Maybe we need an OLIVIA contest to help get people interested?
                    >
                    > ...dtw

                    An Olivia contest might help increase activity but I'm not sure if personally I like the idea.

                    Of course, we could have the contest on 2000 hz mode and do like the RTTY guys and all run KW amps and swamp the entire data band for a whole weekend! That would get some attention. I guess if contests are accepted as being OK to jam entire bands (on other modes) for days at a time - why not Olivia?

                    Now, that last paragraph definitely is sarcastic and I admit it. Having got that out of my system .... an Olivia contest limited in time and space still might be worth the effort.
                  • dl8le
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 7, 2009
                      We had this PSK125/250 contest some weeks ago and I have seen a lot of activity, therefore a contest in 250/8 or 250/4 could be a good way to increase activity in Olivia as well. A year ago there was a DRCC contest even in JT65 (!), and might be an Olivia contest could be organised the same way (I will try to forward this e-mail to Andy, K3UK).

                      There is a lot of Olivia activity on 80m in the evening (3581.5 khz +), but as mentioned before, there is a lot of activity in PSK on 40 and up but - at least in the evenings when I can be qrv during the week - nearly nil in Olivia. This means on 80 m Olivia has been some how established already. If we would like to see Olivia on a similar path as PSK (not so much activity years before, only a little bit on 20 m, but now quite popular on all bands) than a certain level of activity is necessary to get others interested in trying this mode. This activity should continue for 24 hours (as long as bands are open) and not only be limited to skeds with friends we meet quite regularly.

                      Thanks for reading, and hope to meet you in Olivia!

                      --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "garylinnrobinson" <grobin1949@...> wrote:

                      > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "w6dtw" <w6dtw@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Maybe we need an OLIVIA contest to help get people interested?
                      > >
                      > > ...dtw
                      > >

                      > An Olivia contest might help increase activity but I'm not sure if personally I like the idea.
                      >
                      > Of course, we could have the contest on 2000 hz mode and do like the RTTY guys and all run KW amps and swamp the entire data band for a whole weekend! That would get some attention. I guess if contests are accepted as being OK to jam entire bands (on other modes) for days at a time - why not Olivia?
                      >
                      > Now, that last paragraph definitely is sarcastic and I admit it. Having got that out of my system .... an Olivia contest limited in time and space still might be worth the effort.

                    • Laurie, VK3AMA
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 7, 2009
                        One way to increase Olivia activity and improve your Olivia QSO count is
                        to let people know what mode you are operating and on what band.

                        Head over to the HamSpots.net pages. There is a page setup for Olivia
                        modes. The Hellschreiber ,30M and Pactor groups are very active with
                        their own pages and use the site to schedule contacts, spot interesting
                        activity, experiment with different modes, etc.

                        Selfspotting is allowed and encouraged. It is an easy way to let people
                        know what you are doing or who you are seeing on the bands.

                        There are no real restrictions on what you post. Use it to help make
                        those Olivia contacts.

                        The Olivia page is at this link... http://www.hamspots.net/spotit.php?g=o

                        de Laurie, VK3AMA

                        dl8le wrote:
                        > During the last days with my friends not available for our daily skeds on 80 m (3581.5 + 1500 Hz) at night I tried 20 m, 30 m and 40 m. The results, however, were pretty bad:
                        >
                        > Still lot of activity around 2100 UTC or later on 20 m and lower, but nobody in Olivia. There was nobody on the frequencies announced here on the reflector on 20 m.
                        >
                        > The same on 40 m, with only one (EB5DET) anwsering one of the many CQ's there (just above the PSK activities).
                        >
                        > On 30 m more than 200 Hz bandwidth is not allowed in Region I below 10.140, therefore I called here above the PSK-frequencies as well to allow others to find the signal in the waterfall.
                        >
                        > I wonder where all the group members are ... In order to keep Olivia alive it would probably quite helpful if there are others which would be qrv in Olivia and enjoy the benefits of this excellent qrp-mode!
                        >
                        > 73 and see you in Olivia again!
                        >
                        > Juergen, DL8LE

                      • Gerry Lawlor
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 7, 2009
                          HI Juergen - in relation to your comments I would note that I can
                          often find 1000/32 Olivia on around 3596.5 dial USB in the evenings (SSB
                          permitting) and also lower down in 500/16 around 3583 USB. 7 MHz has
                          been less successful at present. What will happen on 7 MHz after 29th
                          March under the new band plan will be interesting to observe. I am not
                          keeping my breath held though!.

                          We now have permission in EI for data modes operation on 10 MHz above
                          10140 from 29th March provided the bandwidth is a max of 500 Hz - that
                          will allow a little more activity from EI when the higher bands are
                          dead. I will be looking hopefully for Olivia activity there.

                          As a general comment it would help greatly if there was some agreement
                          on a channelised approach to operating Olivia. Its very convenient to
                          be able to scan rapidly through fixed channels without tuning around. A
                          channelised approach would also help in reducing adjacent channel
                          interference.

                          73
                          Gerry/EI9FV
                        • dl8le
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 7, 2009
                            Hi Gerry,

                            500 Hz are the max. allowed below 3600 according to Region I bandplan, therefore I use 500 Hz and lower, mainly around 3581.5 khz dialing frequency and around +1500 Hz. This is just above the frequencies where you normally find the PSK users. There is a lot of activity (by the way: we met there as well on Jan 13), and therefore I don't see to do something special to increase the Olivia activity. Regardind 7 and 10 Mhz we have to see if activity will really increase to the same level as PSK has now. I personally don't believe, however, that this will work despite of all the benefits such an approach would have. If there will be some convention then people might follow at the end (on 80 m, for example it seems to work, because many users try to pay attention to frequencies which are in use already and set their audio frequencies close to the other user, but it depends on the first one who shows up ...).

                            --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Gerry Lawlor <ei9fv@...> wrote:

                            > HI Juergen - in relation to your comments I would note that I can
                            > often find 1000/32 Olivia on around 3596.5 dial USB in the evenings (SSB
                            > permitting) and also lower down in 500/16 around 3583 USB. 7 MHz has
                            > been less successful at present. What will happen on 7 MHz after 29th
                            > March under the new band plan will be interesting to observe. I am not
                            > keeping my breath held though!.
                            >
                            > We now have permission in EI for data modes operation on 10 MHz above
                            > 10140 from 29th March provided the bandwidth is a max of 500 Hz - that
                            > will allow a little more activity from EI when the higher bands are
                            > dead. I will be looking hopefully for Olivia activity there.
                            >
                            > As a general comment it would help greatly if there was some agreement
                            > on a channelised approach to operating Olivia. Its very convenient to
                            > be able to scan rapidly through fixed channels without tuning around. A
                            > channelised approach would also help in reducing adjacent channel
                            > interference.
                            >
                            > 73
                            > Gerry/EI9FV

                          • dl8le
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 7, 2009
                              Thanks for the link, Laurie. I will give it a try. The only problem with specialized web sites is the fact that the spots are not distributed via the other DX-Clusters. This happened with Andy's K3UK digital cluster as well, and at the end it was no success. The best is to spot somebody in a standard cluster if you see somebody and then activity will increase at least for some time after the spot.

                              To give you an example: I called on 30 m for about an hour until YV5KAJ showed up at the end. I sent a spot, and after some time others did show up and called him.

                              By the way: my intention is not to have more qso's for myself (this is a side effect) but to increase the activity in Olivia because I strongly believe it is an excellent qrp mode and should deserve much more attention as it has right now.

                              Another information: Andy, K3UK, is presently reviewing how he could set up a contest in Olivia. I suggested him to look for a Saturday and a time between 1200z and 2400z. If there are other proposals please send an e-mail to him yourself (or to me and I would forward the comment to him). You find his e-mail address in qrz.com

                              --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Laurie, VK3AMA" <groups4@...> wrote:

                              > One way to increase Olivia activity and improve your Olivia QSO count is
                              > to let people know what mode you are operating and on what band.
                              >
                              > Head over to the HamSpots.net pages. There is a page setup for Olivia
                              > modes. The Hellschreiber ,30M and Pactor groups are very active with
                              > their own pages and use the site to schedule contacts, spot interesting
                              > activity, experiment with different modes, etc.
                              >
                              > Selfspotting is allowed and encouraged. It is an easy way to let people
                              > know what you are doing or who you are seeing on the bands.
                              >
                              > There are no real restrictions on what you post. Use it to help make
                              > those Olivia contacts.
                              >
                              > The Olivia page is at this link... http://www.hamspots.net/spotit.php?g=o
                              >
                              > de Laurie, VK3AMA
                              >
                              > dl8le wrote:
                              > > During the last days with my friends not available for our daily skeds on 80 m (3581.5 + 1500 Hz) at night I tried 20 m, 30 m and 40 m. The results, however, were pretty bad:
                              > >
                              > > Still lot of activity around 2100 UTC or later on 20 m and lower, but nobody in Olivia. There was nobody on the frequencies announced here on the reflector on 20 m.
                              > >
                              > > The same on 40 m, with only one (EB5DET) anwsering one of the many CQ's there (just above the PSK activities).
                              > >
                              > > On 30 m more than 200 Hz bandwidth is not allowed in Region I below 10.140, therefore I called here above the PSK-frequencies as well to allow others to find the signal in the waterfall.
                              > >
                              > > I wonder where all the group members are ... In order to keep Olivia alive it would probably quite helpful if there are others which would be qrv in Olivia and enjoy the benefits of this excellent qrp-mode!
                              > >
                              > > 73 and see you in Olivia again!
                              > >
                              > > Juergen, DL8LE

                            • Pasquale Casale
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 7, 2009
                                Hello all ham
                                I have verry activiti in 20, 30 and 40 the olivia mode in 16/500 i will havw test in 8/250 tomorro at 20 utc pse help for tes
                                Tnx 73
                                Enviado desde mi BlackBerry de Movistar

> [...]

                                > > During the last days with my friends not available for our daily skeds on 80 m (3581.5 + 1500 Hz) at night I tried 20 m, 30 m and 40 m. The results, however, were pretty bad:
                                > >
                                > > Still lot of activity around 2100 UTC or later on 20 m and lower, but nobody in Olivia. There was nobody on the frequencies announced here on the reflector on 20 m.
                                > >
                                > > The same on 40 m, with only one (EB5DET) anwsering one of the many CQ's there (just above the PSK activities).
                                > >
                                > > On 30 m more than 200 Hz bandwidth is not allowed in Region I below 10.140, therefore I called here above the PSK-frequencies as well to allow others to find the signal in the waterfall.
                                > >
                                > > I wonder where all the group members are ... In order to keep Olivia alive it would probably quite helpful if there are others which would be qrv in Olivia and enjoy the benefits of this excellent qrp-mode!

                                .

                                Yahoo! Groups Links