New Olivia question

  • pete3240
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
      When looking for Olivia stations on the water fall, most of the
      stations will not decode. It's possible they are not even Olivia
      stations, although they do look and sound Olivia. Does anyone have a
      suggestion or procedure for looking for Olivia that you could pass on.
      Thanks,
      de
      K4boi Lewis
    • Rick Kunath
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
        pete3240 wrote:
        > When looking for Olivia stations on the water fall, most of the
        > stations will not decode. It's possible they are not even Olivia
        > stations, although they do look and sound Olivia.

        Yes, have a few.

        First off, you didn't say what software you were using. We can offer
        specific help if we know that.

        Calibrate your sound card if you haven't done that already. That will
        help a lot (if it's off cal.)

        Then set your client for the various Olivia variants and transmit so you
        will know what they sound like. You'll get better at recognizing them by
        sight and sound in a bit.

        8/500 and 16/500 are two of the popular variants.

        See if that helps.

        Rick Kunath, k9ao
      • w6dtw
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
          Rick's comments not withstanding; you'll find that MFSK and OLIVIA can
          look much alike. The difference will be that MFSK is slightly
          narrower bandwidth.

          ...dtw
        • calsage@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
            A couple of related questions, please:

            Is there any "cluster server" online that shows Olivia activity at any
            given time?

            Also, I'm a bit confused by the Center Freq kHz vs. VFO Freq vs. USB
            Audio Center (respectively, 14076.4, 14075.65, 750 @ 500/16 per the
            chart) when using Digimaster. Should the VFO frequency read 14076.4 or
            14075.65? And in Digimaster, will the "Center" as shown on the
            waterfall display be correct, when set to said frequency?

            73, John KG6S

            --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "w6dtw" <w6dtw@...> wrote:

            > Rick's comments not withstanding; you'll find that MFSK and OLIVIA can
            > look much alike. The difference will be that MFSK is slightly
            > narrower bandwidth.
            >
            > ...dtw

          • ve1cdd
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
              --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "pete3240" <pete3240@...> wrote:

              > When looking for Olivia stations on the water fall, most of the
              > stations will not decode. It's possible they are not even Olivia
              > stations, although they do look and sound Olivia. Does anyone have a
              > suggestion or procedure for looking for Olivia that you could pass on.
              > Thanks,
              > de
              > K4boi Lewis

              Hi

              Olivia operators do use various tone configurations. HRD default
              setting for 500hz is 16 tones. It is not uncommon to see 500hz with 8
              tones in use.
              As W6DTW said MFSK looks like Olivia.

              John VE1CDD
            • Rick Kunath
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                ve1cdd wrote:

                > As W6DTW said MFSK looks like Olivia.

                Well, sort of.

                Any of the 500 Hz wide Olivia modes are about twice as wide as MFSK16.

                And they look a little different.

                This might help you in the waterfall:

                http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/Modes/index.htm

                Rick Kunath, k9ao
              • jerry allen
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                  Is there any program that automatically detects Olivia MFSK settings.  The reason I ask is I teach engineering part time - a automatic Olivia MFSK settings detection program would make a good senior project.

                  wa0avs

                • Vojtěch Bubník
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                    There is no such software able to detect Olivia mode.
                    There is a special feature implemented in MultiPSK and PocketDigi called RSID, which was designed by Patrick Lindecker. A special diddle is sent before actual data, which carries mode indentifier.

                    It would be certainly useful to have the Olivia mode detected automatically.

                    73, Vojtech OK1IAK

                    > Od: jerry allen <usdprof2002@...>
                    > Předmět: [olivia] Olivia MFSK question
                    > Datum: 14.1.2009 22:07:16
                    > Is there any program that automatically detects Olivia MFSK settings.  The
                    > reason I ask is I teach engineering part time - a automatic Olivia MFSK settings
                    > detection program would make a good senior project.
                    >
                    > wa0avs

                  • Gunner
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                      John,

                      You've asked some great questions! Here's is my .2c on it:

                      Decoding - It helps to know what bandwidth they are using, especially if
                      the signal is weak. About the only place you will find a 1000Hz signal
                      is in the 14105.5-14108.5 sub band. 14073-14078 is most often 500Hz,
                      sometimes 250. On 40M, between 7071 and 7074 500Hz is the most likely.
                      For a great visual example of what each of these looks like on your
                      waterfall, check out <http://hflink.com/olivia/olivia.html>. There is a
                      ton of other great Olivia info there too.

                      If you can determine the correct bandwidth, the next guess would be the
                      number of tones, which gets me up on my soapbox concerning simple
                      voluntary standardization. By that I mean, if everyone who called CQ
                      Olivia volunteered to use a standard BW/tone pair, (ie 500/16 or
                      1000/32) then switch to a "non-standard" pair after establishing contact
                      (based on propagation and personal preference), there would be no
                      guessing required. The same goes for standardized Audio Center Frequency
                      (ACF) settings, based on BW/tone used. For example; what ever band you
                      are using, if you call CQ in 500/16 mode, then your ACF should be set to
                      750Hz. For 250/8 it is 500Hz, and for 1000/32 it is 1000Hz. This becomes
                      critical to making it easier to find the center of a signal, especially
                      when the signal is very weak (which is one of Olivia's strengths). It is
                      all voluntary of course, but is easy to do and simplifies the process.

                      To quote from the HF Link page on the subject, "...voluntary
                      channelization" of Olivia digital frequencies enhances the amateurs'
                      ability to synchronize and communicate with Olivia using extremely weak
                      signals that would otherwise be missed through searching via VFO tuning."

                      Which brings me to your other excellent question on the ACF:

                      On 40M, a very popular frequency for a mix of digital modes is 7072.5
                      USB. Set your VFO to this freq, USB. If you are using Digital Master
                      780, set the waterfall display to show Hz instead of frequency (click on
                      Display and make sure "RF Frequency" is grayed out). Set your mouse
                      pointer on the waterfall just under the 750Hz mark and click to set it.
                      The "M" should be directly over the 750 (the status bar directly above
                      the waterfall toward the right should also show what Hz your marker is
                      set to). That's it!

                      On 20M, set DM780 to 500/16, your VFO to 14075.65 (part of the
                      "voluntary channelization", 14074.65. 075.65. 077.65) and the ACF to
                      750Hz. If you want to try 1000/32, set your VFO (USB, of course) to
                      14107.5 (105.5, 106.5, 107.5, 108.5) and the ACF to 1000Hz (here on the
                      East Coast in the mornings, 14108.5 - 1000/32 - 1KHz ACF can snag some
                      pretty good EU DX up out of the noise). Bottom line, regardless of freq,
                      a standardized ACF makes it easier for others to find the center of your
                      signal, critical to decoding

                      As I am typing this, my rig is tuned to 7072.5. I just thought I heard
                      an Olivia signal and although the waterfall trace was weak and barely
                      visible, I set my ACF to 750Hz. Sure enough, after a second or two, a CQ
                      from a VE station started decoding withing -4 Hz. If he hadn't
                      volunteered to use a standardized ACF, I would have had a hard time
                      finding him. It works!

                      As several other correctly mentioned, it can be easy to confuse an MFSK
                      signal for Olivia simply by sound. To hear the difference and for audio
                      samples of many other digital modes, visit some of these sites:
                      http://www.qsl.net/g4hbt/sounds.htm
                      http://www.bartg.org.uk/Sound%20Files/soundlibrary.htm
                      http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/

                      Hope this helped! See you down the waterfall...

                      Glenn KD4ULB
                      Olivia Club #028
                      kd4ulb@...

                      calsage@... wrote:
                      > A couple of related questions, please:
                      >
                      > Is there any "cluster server" online that shows Olivia activity at any
                      > given time?
                      >
                      > Also, I'm a bit confused by the Center Freq kHz vs. VFO Freq vs. USB
                      > Audio Center (respectively, 14076.4, 14075.65, 750 @ 500/16 per the
                      > chart) when using Digimaster. Should the VFO frequency read 14076.4 or
                      > 14075.65? And in Digimaster, will the "Center" as shown on the
                      > waterfall display be correct, when set to said frequency?
                      >
                      > 73, John KG6S
                      >
                      > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "w6dtw" <w6dtw@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Rick's comments not withstanding; you'll find that MFSK and OLIVIA can
                      >> look much alike. The difference will be that MFSK is slightly
                      >> narrower bandwidth.
                      >>
                      >> ...dtw

                    • Rick Kunath
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                        Vojtěch Bubník wrote:
                        > There is no such software able to detect Olivia mode. There is a
                        > special feature implemented in MultiPSK and PocketDigi called RSID,
                        > which was designed by Patrick Lindecker. A special diddle is sent
                        > before actual data, which carries mode indentifier.

                        Fldigi also supports RSID, available in Linux and Windows versions.

                        You still have to have the sending station use it.

                        Rick Kunath, k9ao
                      • Vojtěch Bubník
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 14, 2009
                          > If you can determine the correct bandwidth, the next guess would be the
                          > number of tones

                          ok, you will most probably be able to detect bandwidth and number of tones. But is it Olivia, Contestia or RTTYM? You need to try all of them and wait couple of seconds whether it will decode. This is a very unfortunate situation.

                          73, Vojtech OK1IAK