Olivia vs JT65A first Impressions.

  • Kim
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 13, 2008
      I am relatively new to both of these modes and I'd like to give my
      initial impressions: Olivia: Great rag chew mode: can use high
      bandwidths and slower bauds when conditions become difficult, far more
      reliable that PSK-31. JT65A: Can be used when you absolutely,
      positively have to contact someone. Not good for rag chew, %100 copy
      %100 of the time, if the program isn't certain what it's decoding it
      prints nothing.

      The most impressive mode for me has been JT65A. Yesterday morning in
      the space of an hour I worked Portland, Las Cruces NM, Amarillo TX,
      Bordeau France, and Berlin Germany using 10 watts and a dipole hung
      east/west on 20 meters from EL87. I can't wait to see when happens
      when the sun improves.

      Kim (OM) AB7JK
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 13, 2008
        Yes, JT65A is definitely impressive if ALL you want to do is pass a
        signal report, a grid locator, and say Hi. It can get through better
        than any other ham mode period except perhaps WSPR (a relative?). It's
        basically because of it being redundant and repetitive - and sending
        data chunks with a type of built in check that insures you got the
        whole data chunk.

        If you want to have a QSO and actually chat - ragchew or otherwise
        than it's not all that useful.

        If you like to work as many DX countries, go for W.A.S., or something
        of that nature JT65A makes it possible for low power - low profile
        stations to do so with relative ease.

        Olivia can do much of the same and at the same time provide the
        ability to actually chat. It is also useful for emmcomm use under poor
        condx and is often used by MARS nets when other modes can't get their
        message traffic passed in any other RF based mode.

        Comparing it to Olivia though is like comparing a 3/16" nut driver to
        a socket set -- One being limited and useful for only specific use
        while the other is more versatile.

        Apples and oranges.

        --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <kimmed51@...> wrote:

        > I am relatively new to both of these modes and I'd like to give my
        > initial impressions: Olivia: Great rag chew mode: can use high
        > bandwidths and slower bauds when conditions become difficult, far more
        > reliable that PSK-31. JT65A: Can be used when you absolutely,
        > positively have to contact someone. Not good for rag chew, %100 copy
        > %100 of the time, if the program isn't certain what it's decoding it
        > prints nothing.
        >
        > The most impressive mode for me has been JT65A. Yesterday morning in
        > the space of an hour I worked Portland, Las Cruces NM, Amarillo TX,
        > Bordeau France, and Berlin Germany using 10 watts and a dipole hung
        > east/west on 20 meters from EL87. I can't wait to see when happens
        > when the sun improves.
        >
        > Kim (OM) AB7JK

      • Joe
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 13, 2008
          Uhh,, I have was with a heatkit qrp rig, regular ol'e CW,  at less than 5 watts  what the thing ran what 2.5 I think?

          Joe

          garylinnrobinson wrote:
[...]

          .

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:oliviadata-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:oliviadata-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 14, 2008

            Hi all, I'm using frequently Olivia especially on top band and 80 mt and I'm quite satisfied  comparing with RTTY and BPSK31. I'm curious about JT65A: does anybody know if I can use the Mixw 2.16 to detect also JT65A signals ?

            Thanks and hope to see many colleagues on the screen in Olivia on top band (1838.5 usb 500/16), ciao

            Massimo iz0gkz

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 14, 2008
              Hi Massimo,

              You can't use MixW to decode JT65A. The program to use is WSJT by K1JT.
              But you sure can hear and distinguish it by it's melodic whistling sound!

              --
              73 es merry Xmas: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://ilgonis.orgfree.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 14, 2008

                hi Waldis, nice to see you again and tnx for answer.
                I use Mixw 2.16 and  I had to add a  .dll file into Mixw directory to work with Olivia because the initial version of Mixw doesn't include Olivia.
                Similarly I was thinking that I could use Mixw for JT65A just adding another  .dll (or whatever) file.
                I will download WSJT.
                Ciao and Merry Christmas + wonderful 2009 with many dx to all group friends.
                Massimo iz0gkz

                --
                73 es merry Xmas: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://ilgonis. orgfree.com

              • Mike Miller
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 14, 2008
                  On 15 Dec 2008 at 17:59, Waldis Jirgens wrote:

                  > Hi Massimo,
                  >
                  > You can't use MixW to decode JT65A. The program to use is WSJT by
                  > K1JT. But you sure can hear and distinguish it by it's melodic
                  > whistling sound!

                  > --
                  > 73 es merry Xmas: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ -
                  > http://ilgonis.orgfree.com

                  MultiPSK also supports JT65A using code based on that of K1JT.

                  <http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm>

                  Mike kc9doa