external soundcard ?

  • donroden@hiwaay.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 20 7:22 PM
      If permissible, could anyone with experience with the Tigertronics
      Signalink USB please give a review ? Does it work any better than the
      usual built-in
      computer soundcards ?

      Thanks

      Looking forward to trying Olivia on 160 meters.

      Don WA4NPL
    • William Shine
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 20 7:52 PM
        It works well, and it has a couple of  advantages -- the system sounds don't play through the tigertronics usb --
        they play through your regular sound card.  So you won't inaverdently transmit operating system sounds (like windows
        startup tones, etc) through your radio.  Plus, it electrically isolates your radio from your computer --
        no ground loops to worry about.  And, it has front panel input and output level adjustments, as well as a
        transmit hang time adjustment -- which your computer sound card doesn't have.
        Bill
        On Nov 20, 2008, at 8:22 PM, donroden@... wrote:

        If permissible, could anyone with experience with the Tigertronics
        Signalink USB please give a review ? Does it work any better than the
        usual built-in
        computer soundcards ?

        Thanks

        Looking forward to trying Olivia on 160 meters.

        Don WA4NPL

      • dwebst
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 22 11:21 PM
          --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, donroden@... wrote:

          > If permissible, could anyone with experience with the Tigertronics
          > Signalink USB please give a review ? Does it work any better than the
          > usual built-in
          > computer soundcards ?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Looking forward to trying Olivia on 160 meters.
          >
          > Don WA4NPL

          Another advantage is that you do not have to continually readjust the
          system volume sliders to proper levels when going from your digi
          software to other programs. Also, if you do adjust levels from one
          mode to another it is a lot easier to reach over and turn the knob on
          the SignaLink rather than having to open the Window$ sound mixer.
          Another advantage too, is adjustable delay in keying. I have found
          with Olivia the transmitter occasionally momentarily un-keys during
          the transmission if I don't turn up the delay a bit. I don't need the
          delay with PSK31.

          Dennis W7WJ
        • Paul Playford
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 23 9:00 AM
            I use QuickMix to automatically preset sound card levels (both record and
            play) for different programs.

            http://www.msaxon.com/quickmix/

            de Paul, W8AEF

            ZF2JL/ZF2TA FO8DX/FO8PLA 8Q7AA XZ0A VU7RG TX5C

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 23 9:49 AM
              I used a BuxComm Rascal for several years and a few weeks ago I
              started using the SignalLink USB. It is really nice, easy to set up,
              and easy to use.

              If I had known how nice it was I would have gotten one sooner. It's
              internal soundcard seems to work better than my computer soundcard and
              have had several great Olivia QSO's on 160 with it as well as many on
              other bands, too.

              It works easily on my Kubuntu Linux computer as well as Windows.

              I do a lot of other work on my computer too AND it really helps out to
              NOT have to use my computer sound card for my digital QSO's. Makes it
              easier to surf the web WHILE I am in QSO and NOT be afraid of
              broadcasting sounds from web pages. And I haven't had to touch any
              settings on the unit since I initially set the levels.

              Can't get much easier unless it did my typing for me hihi!

              --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, donroden@... wrote:

              > If permissible, could anyone with experience with the Tigertronics
              > Signalink USB please give a review ? Does it work any better than the
              > usual built-in
              > computer soundcards ?
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Looking forward to trying Olivia on 160 meters.
              >
              > Don WA4NPL

            • deadgoose38
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 23 7:41 PM
                I use a SignaLink USB for PSK-31 on my Yaesu FT-817ND. Made a couple
                of nice PSK-31 contacts on 40 meters this afternoon. Looking forward
                to trying my hand at Olivia, of course. Setup for the SignaLink took
                all of 10 minutes. I use Ham Radio Deluxe suite. Couldn't have been
                easier.

                73
                /paul W3FIS