Re: Olivia activity in G-land ?

  • ve1cdd
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 9, 2008
      Hi everyone

      I listen on 10.132.9Mhz + 1500Hz usually from 1100z to 1300Z. Work a
      few European stations. I try to check the frequency through the
      day/night as time permits.
      I visited PEI [VY2] this summer and called many hours getting only a
      few contacts.
      For such a great mode there is certainly a lack of activity.

      John VE1CDD

      --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "yaginzdb" <solen@...> wrote:

      > Hello all ................... Have not heard any G stations
      > on Olivia at all during past 2 years but work HB9 almost daily
      > condx permitting. Also OH and DL.
      >
      > Usually on around 0730 to 0830 Z on 14.106.5 or 14.107.5
      > beaming long path.
      >
      > 3D2BA

    • tremont245
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 10, 2008
        Hi John and all

        I think you will find us Europeans are not allowed that low on the 30m
        band. I have from the RSGB Band Plan 10.100 to 10140 is cw 200 Hz max
        bandwidth and 10.140 to 10.150 All narrow band modes 500 Hz max
        bandwidth. So I have a look at about 10.142 +, which is were I try
        calling CQ.
        Your right about a great mode, hope to see you on there.

        Trevor G8IIN

        --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "ve1cdd" <ve1cdd@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone
        >
        > I listen on 10.132.9Mhz + 1500Hz usually from 1100z to 1300Z. Work a
        > few European stations. I try to check the frequency through the
        > day/night as time permits.
        > I visited PEI [VY2] this summer and called many hours getting only a
        > few contacts.
        > For such a great mode there is certainly a lack of activity.
        >
        > John VE1CDD
        >
        > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "yaginzdb" <solen@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello all ................... Have not heard any G stations
        > > on Olivia at all during past 2 years but work HB9 almost daily
        > > condx permitting. Also OH and DL.
        > >
        > > Usually on around 0730 to 0830 Z on 14.106.5 or 14.107.5
        > > beaming long path.
        > >
        > > 3D2BA

      • Graeme Caselton
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 10, 2008
          I'm QRV most weekday mornings between 0900-1100UTC, either PSK or Olivia, on 20/40m. Please call if you want to try a QSO [eQSL and LoTW available].

          I'm happy to QSY modes to other exotica [MFSK, Hell, Throb - MultiPSK installed].

          Graeme
          G6CSY
        • Jim Evans
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 14, 2008
            Hi Dick,

            Just noticed this message, went on 20m and copied your QSO with OH2HN,
            unfortunately only the local end of it. I have an S3 noise level here
            at the moment and an antenna that probably does you no favours!

            I have had a couple of QSOs with Europe on Olivia in the last six
            months. I am awaiting a new audio interface box that will give me
            better results than the home-brew one. Then some work on the antenna,
            a few sunspots and who knows!

            Will certainly look out for you when I get properly QRV.

            Jim
            G3VDB

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 14, 2008
              Hi Jim,

              Just out of curiosity: What DO you expect from a commercially built
              interface box, that a home-brew one could not deliver? After all AF
              impedance matching and PTT are pretty basic tasks, well within the
              capabilities of below average talent home-brewers.

              I have heard of many complaints about commercial interfaces that try
              hard to make a simple task look difficult...

              --
              73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://ilgonis.orgfree.com

              Jim Evans wrote:

              > Hi Dick,
              >
              > Just noticed this message, went on 20m and copied your QSO with OH2HN,
              > unfortunately only the local end of it. I have an S3 noise level here
              > at the moment and an antenna that probably does you no favours!
              >
              > I have had a couple of QSOs with Europe on Olivia in the last six
              > months. I am awaiting a new audio interface box that will give me
              > better results than the home-brew one. Then some work on the antenna,
              > a few sunspots and who knows!
              >
              > Will certainly look out for you when I get properly QRV.
              >
              > Jim
              > G3VDB
            • Jim Evans
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 17, 2008
                > What DO you expect from a commercially built
                > interface box,

                Some free time!

                I agree totally with your thinking.

                I lashed one up an interface with
                a couple of transformers out of the junk box on strip board. It works
                fine. But found I never quite got round to putting it in a box, nor to
                breaking into the CAT RS232 cable to do the PTT. Twisting the ends of
                the TX wire together or toggling the dangling switch is not ideal
                (though perhaps the slow change over of Olivia means it is not
                unreasonable on this mode!) So I have done a lot of listening and had
                very few (data) qsos.

                Since I have Scots ancestry (frugle, not mean), I did design my own
                pcb with the required opto isolator, a couple of transformers and
                audio and 9 pin D type connectors on it. Somehow never found the time
                to etch and drill it what with other commitments (mostly re-building
                XP systems for customers). So I decided to place an order with a local
                firm who had made up all the cables.

                Now I just need to find time to get the new I/F out of its cardboard
                box and connect it. And then that better antenna so I can hear the
                antipodes!

                Hope to see you on the screen!

                73's

                Jim
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 17, 2008
                  Hi Jim,

                  Yes I know the feeling if one wants to make it all too perfect in
                  homebrewing... A friend of mine has been working on his super-duper
                  homebrew interface for more than 6 months now, and he is still not QRV.
                  I cobbled mine together using construction techniques of the 60s - no
                  PCB, some soldering lugs, a small metal case and it took me less than 2
                  days. That was around 6 years ago, and all my digital QSOs have been
                  done with this one. In case somebody is interested - schematics and
                  descriptions on: http://ilgonis.orgfree.com/digiar.htm

                  --
                  73 es CUL: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://ilgonis.orgfree.com

                  Jim Evans wrote:

                  > > What DO you expect from a commercially built
                  > > interface box,
                  >
                  > Some free time!
                  >
                  > I agree totally with your thinking.
                  >
                  > I lashed one up an interface with
                  > a couple of transformers out of the junk box on strip board. It works
                  > fine. But found I never quite got round to putting it in a box, nor to
                  > breaking into the CAT RS232 cable to do the PTT. Twisting the ends of
                  > the TX wire together or toggling the dangling switch is not ideal
                  > (though perhaps the slow change over of Olivia means it is not
                  > unreasonable on this mode!) So I have done a lot of listening and had
                  > very few (data) qsos.
                  >
                  > Since I have Scots ancestry (frugle, not mean), I did design my own
                  > pcb with the required opto isolator, a couple of transformers and
                  > audio and 9 pin D type connectors on it. Somehow never found the time
                  > to etch and drill it what with other commitments (mostly re-building
                  > XP systems for customers). So I decided to place an order with a local
                  > firm who had made up all the cables.
                  >
                  > Now I just need to find time to get the new I/F out of its cardboard
                  > box and connect it. And then that better antenna so I can hear the
                  > antipodes!
                  >
                  > Hope to see you on the screen!
                  >
                  > 73's
                  >
                  > Jim
                • g0lgb
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 26, 2008
                    --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "yaginzdb" <solen@...> wrote:

                    > Hello all ................... Have not heard any G stations
                    > on Olivia at all during past 2 years but work HB9 almost daily
                    > condx permitting. Also OH and DL.
                    >
                    > Usually on around 0730 to 0830 Z on 14.106.5 or 14.107.5
                    > beaming long path.
                    >
                    > 3D2BA

                    Hi there, well i'm normally to be found on 20m, i'll listen out for
                    you, but the way the bands are lately its a mode i am using more & more.
                    Hope to work you
                    73
                    de Gavin G0LGB