Olivia, TS-2000, DM780 questions

  • aa0uu
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
      Hi I am a newbie to this mode. Well, not even that, because I have
      yet to hear a signal! I am confined to 20M but work out very well on
      other modes, so I suspect that either my settings are wrong or there
      is little activity.

      If anyone would be willing to share with me the best way to hear
      activity on this band I would be most appreciative. E.g. dial
      frequency, mode, filter settings, DM780 settings, day and time of day
      when there are signals.

      Thanks for any help.

      Tom, AA0UU, Minneapolis MN EN34HX
    • Jim Evans
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
        Hi Tom,

        Welcome from another new user, who also has DM780.

        If you are copying other modes like PSK31 with your set up then it is
        probably that activity is low. There are so many modes out there that
        it took me some time to recognise an Olivia sig. There are a lot of
        signals around 14075/76/77 that DM780 does not seem to decode - low
        baud rate MFSK or Domino as far as I can tell.

        I'll leave it for others to answer for your side of the pond, but as a
        new user in Eu, I have now seen perhaps six stations on Olivia 1000/32
        since my first contact on 01 May. I have previously seen some Central
        African dx on 500/16.

        I just worked my second Olivia 1000/32 IZ8 on 14099.5 USB 1675Hz
        centre audio as I write. My previous qso was on 14106.00 with 9H1. The
        African dx (swl mode!) was at about 14090.

        The IZ8 has worked SP7, EA8 and a DH6 while I have been copying him
        and I copied both sides except for the DH6 - the SP7 was invisible on
        the waterfall.

        Those with more experience tell me that qso's are often arranged and
        conducted with no audible / visible signals on the water fall. So you
        may find "Calling CQ Olivia [mode]" mentioned in dx spots if you search.

        That's my 2Cents worth. Good luck - it's an interesting mode, if a
        little slow.

        Jim G3VDB

        --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "aa0uu" <aa0uu@...> wrote:

        > Hi I am a newbie to this mode. Well, not even that, because I have
        > yet to hear a signal! I am confined to 20M but work out very well on
        > other modes, so I suspect that either my settings are wrong or there
        > is little activity.
        >
        > If anyone would be willing to share with me the best way to hear
        > activity on this band I would be most appreciative. E.g. dial
        > frequency, mode, filter settings, DM780 settings, day and time of day
        > when there are signals.
        >
        > Thanks for any help.
        >
        > Tom, AA0UU, Minneapolis MN EN34HX

      • Chris Danis
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
          On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Jim Evans
          <g3vdb@...> wrote:
          > If you are copying other modes like PSK31 with your set up then it is
          > probably that activity is low. There are so many modes out there that
          > it took me some time to recognise an Olivia sig. There are a lot of
          > signals around 14075/76/77 that DM780 does not seem to decode - low
          > baud rate MFSK or Domino as far as I can tell.

          These are likely JT65A:
          http://www.pe2pe.eu/images/WSJT%20on%20HF.htm

          -chris N2YYZ
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
            --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "aa0uu" <aa0uu@...> wrote:

            > Hi I am a newbie to this mode. Well, not even that, because I have
            > yet to hear a signal! I am confined to 20M but work out very well on
            > other modes, so I suspect that either my settings are wrong or there
            > is little activity.
            >
            > If anyone would be willing to share with me the best way to hear
            > activity on this band I would be most appreciative. E.g. dial
            > frequency, mode, filter settings, DM780 settings, day and time of day
            > when there are signals.
            >
            > Thanks for any help.
            >
            > Tom, AA0UU, Minneapolis MN EN34HX

            Tom,

            Navigate over to http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/ to set up a sked on
            Olivia.

            Steve W8AN
          • Jim Evans
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
              Thanks Chris,

              JT65 is on my list to investigate. That's most useful info.

              Jim g3vdb

              --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Danis" <cdanis@...> wrote:

              > On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Jim Evans
              <SNIPPED>

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
                --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "aa0uu" <aa0uu@...> wrote:

                > Hi I am a newbie to this mode. Well, not even that, because I have
                > yet to hear a signal! I am confined to 20M but work out very well on
                > other modes, so I suspect that either my settings are wrong or there
                > is little activity.
                >
                > If anyone would be willing to share with me the best way to hear
                > activity on this band I would be most appreciative. E.g. dial
                > frequency, mode, filter settings, DM780 settings, day and time of day
                > when there are signals.
                >
                > Thanks for any help.
                >
                > Tom, AA0UU, Minneapolis MN EN34HX

                Hi Tom,
                Over at : hflink.com/olivia/ is a lot of good info on Olivia and
                Freqs. The main 20mtr 500/16 (bandwidth/tones) freqs are 14.075.65,
                14.076.65, 14.077.65 - the main 1000/32 freqs are 14.105.5, 14.105.6,
                14.105.7, 14.105.8
                These are dial freqs - suggested to use 750hz waterfall on 500hz
                wide Olivia sigs and 1000hz waterfall for 1000hz wide waterfall.
                But these are all just suggested and many people don't know about
                them and many don't follow them.
                I have pretty good luck at 14.072.65 and 14.073.65 putting out a
                LOT of CQ's (2el yagi at 25ft + 30 watts) - just listening doesn't
                always yield a lot. I have had over 30 20mtr Olivia QSO's in the last
                20 days - mostly sporadic E but also some longer stuff and a few DX.
                Also worked 2 different guys in Minnesota hi hi - Most of my QSO's on
                20 have been in the evening between 22:00z and 02:00z (6-10pm local)
                but late late afternoon has yielded a few - morning not so good on ANY
                band on Olivia - for me at least.
                Lots of Olivia if you scare it up yourself AND the band cooperates
                with a little propagation.
                I would suggest running DM780 with "Search" setting at 25% most of
                the time and the "Sync Depth" at medium. Running Sync Depth at High
                will make a LONGER delay for decoding to start and finish - though it
                does help when decoding a very very weak signal.
                Hope this helps.
                ---Gary WB8ROL
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
                  My previous post SHOULD have said :

                  The main 1000/32 freqs are 14.105.5, 14.106.5,
                  14.107.5, 14.108.5

                  So much for my proof reading skills ...

                  --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "garylinnrobinson" <grobin1949@...>