Re: [olivia] Re: [digitalradio] How to choose Olivia tone/bandwidth parameters -- an idea

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2008
      And why not use a CW preamble (like OL8) instead of C/MT Hell Video-id
      which in most cases is far less readable than Olivia and a lot slower
      than CW @ 25 WPM.

      --
      73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis

      Jose A. Amador wrote:

      > Clever...simple and evident.
      >
      > There is a common russian phrase that applies "kratka sistra talanta",
      > conciseness is the sister of talent.
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Jose, CO2JA
      >
      > ---
      >
      > Simon Brown wrote:
      >
      > > You see the bandwidth already - so why not just OL + number of tones?
      > >
      > > I don't think users will like a lookup table.
      > >
      > > Simon Brown, HB9DRV
    • Simon Brown
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2008
        Because some / many ops don't have any audio from the radio when working
        digital modes (it's not needed) and also CW is no longer mandatory and also
        25 WPM is - 25 WPM!

        Simon Brown, HB9DRV

        From: "Waldis Jirgens" <waldis@...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
          Hi Simon,

          Well that's a bit hard to believe:

          1. It's very convenient to listen to your QSO partner's signal,
          particularly when asked for a critical report, also by listening and
          with some experience you can guess what mode a CQ is in (Olivia 8/500
          sounds different to 16/500 for instance). And especially in Olivia you
          sometimes hear a weak signal that does not show up in the waterfall.

          2. Even a non CW man will get the difference between 4 ....- 8 ---.. and
          16 .---- -.... even at a speed of 25WPM. If you don't believe me - try
          it! Nearly all programs have also a CW mode.

          --

          Simon Brown wrote:

          > Because some / many ops don't have any audio from the radio when working
          > digital modes (it's not needed) and also CW is no longer mandatory and also
          > 25 WPM is - 25 WPM!
          >
          > Simon Brown, HB9DRV

        • Jose A. Amador
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
            That might be an option too. I can copy that.

            Jose, CO2JA

            ---

            Waldis Jirgens wrote:

            > And why not use a CW preamble (like OL8) instead of C/MT Hell Video-id
            > which in most cases is far less readable than Olivia and a lot slower
            > than CW @ 25 WPM.
          • Jose A. Amador
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
              Then I am another weird one who listens for the noises that show up in
              the waterfall.

              I only shut up the speaker on packet, and not always, either. Sometimes
              it helps to detect a collision condition or the appearance of another
              alligator on frequency (too much deviation and shameful antena, usually).

              Jose, CO2JA

              ---