Re: [digitalradio] How to choose Olivia tone/bandwidth parameters -- an idea

  • Jose A. Amador
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2008
      Clever...simple and evident.

      There is a common russian phrase that applies "kratka sistra talanta",
      conciseness is the sister of talent.

      73,

      Jose, CO2JA

      ---

      Simon Brown wrote:

      > You see the bandwidth already - so why not just OL + number of tones?
      >
      > I don't think users will like a lookup table.
      >
      > Simon Brown, HB9DRV

      > From: "Ian Wade" <g3nrw@...>
      >
      >> Here is an idea that Olivia developers might care to consider.

      MSc. Ing. Jose Angel Amador Fundora
      Profesor Auxiliar
      Departamento de Telecomunicaciones
      Facultad de Ingenieria Electrica, CUJAE
      Calle 114 #11901 e/ 119 y 127
      Marianao 19390, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
      Tel: (53 7) 266-3445
      Email: amador at electrica.cujae.edu.cu
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2008
        And why not use a CW preamble (like OL8) instead of C/MT Hell Video-id
        which in most cases is far less readable than Olivia and a lot slower
        than CW @ 25 WPM.

        --
        73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis

        Jose A. Amador wrote:

        > Clever...simple and evident.
        >
        > There is a common russian phrase that applies "kratka sistra talanta",
        > conciseness is the sister of talent.
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > Jose, CO2JA
        >
        > ---
        >
        > Simon Brown wrote:
        >
        > > You see the bandwidth already - so why not just OL + number of tones?
        > >
        > > I don't think users will like a lookup table.
        > >
        > > Simon Brown, HB9DRV
      • Simon Brown
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2008
          Because some / many ops don't have any audio from the radio when working
          digital modes (it's not needed) and also CW is no longer mandatory and also
          25 WPM is - 25 WPM!

          Simon Brown, HB9DRV

          From: "Waldis Jirgens" <waldis@...>

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
            Hi Simon,

            Well that's a bit hard to believe:

            1. It's very convenient to listen to your QSO partner's signal,
            particularly when asked for a critical report, also by listening and
            with some experience you can guess what mode a CQ is in (Olivia 8/500
            sounds different to 16/500 for instance). And especially in Olivia you
            sometimes hear a weak signal that does not show up in the waterfall.

            2. Even a non CW man will get the difference between 4 ....- 8 ---.. and
            16 .---- -.... even at a speed of 25WPM. If you don't believe me - try
            it! Nearly all programs have also a CW mode.

            --

            Simon Brown wrote:

            > Because some / many ops don't have any audio from the radio when working
            > digital modes (it's not needed) and also CW is no longer mandatory and also
            > 25 WPM is - 25 WPM!
            >
            > Simon Brown, HB9DRV

          • Jose A. Amador
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
              That might be an option too. I can copy that.

              Jose, CO2JA

              ---

              Waldis Jirgens wrote:

              > And why not use a CW preamble (like OL8) instead of C/MT Hell Video-id
              > which in most cases is far less readable than Olivia and a lot slower
              > than CW @ 25 WPM.
            • Jose A. Amador
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
                Then I am another weird one who listens for the noises that show up in
                the waterfall.

                I only shut up the speaker on packet, and not always, either. Sometimes
                it helps to detect a collision condition or the appearance of another
                alligator on frequency (too much deviation and shameful antena, usually).

                Jose, CO2JA

                ---