Re: [olivia] Re: MultiPSK 4.8 doesn't decode all that great on Olivia

  • Karl Larsen
    Message 1 of 23 , May 14, 2008
      Jose A. Amador wrote:
      > garylinnrobinson wrote:
      >

      >> I didn't start out to prove anything but my results were clear and
      >> quantitative. On all 4 of my computers with settings optimized and
      >> sound cards aligned properly MultiPSK did not perform as well as DM780
      >> or FLDigi on Olivia modes.
      >>

      >> It is easy and convenient to pass it off as "operator" error or
      >> inexperience. Easy to come up with other reasons too - many of which
      >> may be valid - but the bottom line - if users have to jump through too
      >> many hoops just to get even - they won't. Unfortunately many may not
      >> even be aware they are using a program that is under performing on
      >> their computer and instead blame the MODE.
      >>

      > Well, one difficulty that has been pointed out is that it is not easy to
      > identify the many possible parameter variants, and a sub-standard setup
      > will make it certainly harder to identify. I am a believer that Olivia
      > deserves more popularity than MFSK, but it seems to be happening the
      > other way around.
      >

      >> I strongly urge ANYONE and EVERYONE to perform tests themselves for
      >> their OWN hardware and use what works best. Don't take it for granted
      >> that all programs work as well as others on all modes. And in the end
      >> excuses and/or opinions won't matter.
      >>

      > I think it is fair. I have not engaged in doing it myself, but will try
      > to make some comparative captures and rate them later when time allows.
      >
      > Patrick, F6CTE ran a series of tests sampling at 48 kHz, but there was
      > not any clear adventage among the responses he received regarding 48 kHz
      > to be "the magic solution".
      >

      > 73,
      >
      > Jose, CO2JA
      >
      > My problem is I do not have 5 computers and even if I did I would not know how to conduct a test. I would have to multiplex the antenna to the 5 computers and would do it at the box that interfaces to the radio.

      I have Linux and Gmfsk which is the Linux MixW and I would like to
      run tests with others that keep the hardware constant and try the
      various modes with real conditions. This takes a lot of time.

      Karl

      --

      Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
      Linux User
      Message 2 of 23 , May 14, 2008
        Hi All,

        Testing is no big deal. Capture a few minutes of Olivia audio from your
        RX on tape or an mp3 player, then play it back to the various programs
        sequentially at your leisure!

        <snip>

        --
        73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis
        Message 3 of 23 , May 19, 2008
          Hi All,

          If you have high noise level on the DX bands, check if your ADSL Router
          might be the problem. By switching it off I reduced my noise level on
          30m from S9 to S3!

          As a permanent solution I put it in an emptied out PC case, just feeding
          the ethernet cables, phone line and power through a slit. Same result as
          switching it off!

          --
          73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis