Setting up Olivia/MixW question

  • David F. Reed
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21, 2008
      I am running MixW into a RigExpert Standard, in Olivia mode.
      I can print fine, but other stations have trouble printing my signal, complaining of loss of sync (even with a strong signal).

      This makes me wonder a couple of things...

      1. How do I set up the input level properly from the sound card to the rig?
        I currently have the gain set low enough that I am seeing no ALC action.  Is there anything else I should be looking at?

      2. The other question would be how to calibrate the sound card; is there a program out there that I can use for that?

      Thanks and 73 de W5SV

    • Mark Miller
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21, 2008
        At 08:53 PM 4/21/2008, David F. Reed wrote:
        > * The other question would be how to calibrate the sound card;
        > is there a program out there that I can use for that?
        I think calibration is your problem. There is a program in
        C:\Program Files\MixW called CheckSR.exe . First run your test with
        a sample rate of 11025 Let it run for a while and if you get big
        numbers in the difference ppm boxes, then this is your problem. Run
        it at 12000 and see if the difference ppm numbers are two digit.

        If 12000 didn't make a big difference, then take the TX and RX
        difference ppm numbers and enter those in MixW Configure Sound Device
        settings clock adjustment ppm for TX and RX respectively.

        If 12000 looks good change the sample rate in MixW Configure Sound
        Device settings to 12000 and enter the PPM numbers from CheckSR.exe .

        Good luck and 73,
        Mark N5RFX
      • David F. Reed
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 22, 2008

          Mark,

          thank you for the info; it was a big help; indeed, at the 11025 sample rate, I was off on the TX side by over 7000, but on the 12000 sample rate it was at 306, TX and RX; set that in and things are working fine, so you were correct in your troubleshooting advice.

          thanks and 73 de Dave, W5SV

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 22, 2008
            At 09:13 AM 4/22/2008, David F. Reed wrote:
            thank you for the info; it was a big help; indeed, at the 11025
            sample rate, I was off on the TX side by over 7000, but on the 12000
            sample rate it was at 306, TX and RX; set that in and things are
            working fine, so you were correct in your troubleshooting advice.

            Dave you are welcome. I have seen this so many times with
            soundcards. Many folks will chuck the soundcard, but if you do a
            little tweaking most of them can be made to work FB.

            73,
            Mark N5RFX