Problem with decoding MultiPSK 4.7 Olivia signals

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23, 2008
      Recently I have talked to several other Olivia stations that had very
      strong signals that decoded very poorly - less than 50% accuracy. It
      didn' make sense since Olivia does such a great job most of the
      time.

      I use the HRD DM780 software for Olivia and 2 days ago after calling
      a CQ on 30mtrs I got a reply from a station that I could hardly
      decode - not even enough to get a complete call sign and he was s9+
      10db. I went back to the station and said I couldn't copy and that IF
      he was copying me to go to PSK31. He did and we copied each other
      pretty good then and it was a guy I have talked to MANY times before
      on Olivia and he said he had just upgraded from MultiPSK 4.2 to 4.7.
      He still had BOTH on the system so he went back to 4.2 and called me
      on Olivia and the decoding was 100% perfect - just like I would
      expect. I experienced the same with another station with MultiPSK 4.7
      and he switched to DM780 and again we had perfect print.

      There apparently seems to be a problem between MultiPSK 4.7 and DM780
      (I'm running latest beta on DM780). I suspect it may be a problem
      with MultiPSK and perhaps ANY other Olivia software - though maybe
      NOT with other MultiPSK 4.7 itself.

      This post was for 3 reasons - informational in case others experience
      strong Olivia sigs that don't decode well and to see if anyone would
      like to do some tests on the air IF they have MultiPSK, MixW, DM780
      or other software with Olivia to see exactly just where the problem
      lays.

      And lastly to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing.
    • Chris Gerber
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24, 2008
        Hi

        I was lust running some S/N test here. Comparing Mixw 2.18, Olivia Aid
        (The original most sens. Olivia version), together with all Multipsk modes
        up to the latest. With absolut lowest possible signals.
        I did find no differences between any Multipsk Versions.
        The original Olivia Aid is still about 1 - 2 db better.

        Chris HB9BDM

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24, 2008
          Just as a follow up on my original post -

          There was NO confusion as to what configuration of Olivia the station
          I mentioned and I were using since we had talked to the same station
          MANY times before AND we QSY'd to PSK31 and confirmed what we were
          using.

          And we could recreate the BAD copy each time we HE went back to 4.7.

          I ran a TEST yesterday with a local station - with ME using MultiPSK
          4.7 and the other local using FLDigi - on 2mtrs where we could use
          extremely strong AND weak signals and MultiPSK worked perfectly.

          So ... I am NOT sure what my friends (with the MultiPSK 4.7 problem)
          computer config is BUT I have a 3ghz CPU. Perhaps the memory
          requirements of MultiPSK 4.7 have increased? That would explain why
          my station had no problem sending perfect Olivia with 4.7 - OR as I
          read in another a post - maybe a missing soundcard calibration file -
          that sounds very likely.

          I also know that I have ran into this at least twice before with
          other stations answering my CQ but can't confirm that MultiPSK was
          involved (because at the time I thought I was having a problem). But
          I would bet my last dollar it was MultiPSK 4.7 or something similar
          because when they were NOT decoding correctly they had similar
          characteristics.

          I would get 2-3 words decoding properly and then miss a whole bunch
          then another word or 2, miss a bunch and so forth. Almost like QSB
          except there would be NO QSB and sigs were strong.

          So, I think the soundcard calibration file being missing could
          explain everything. I just wanted to get to the bottom of it because
          there are already so many people that dismiss Olivia and I don't want
          to give them any more ammo.

          BTW - I just recently recieved a letter from the A.R.R.L that they
          will be publishing an informational article by me about Olivia in QST
          magazine later this year and I hope that can boost awareness of the
          mode and get some more people interested in it.

          --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "garylinnrobinson" <grobinson@...>