What is better for QRP-DX?

  • jaakhohensee
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2007
      Hello!

      I am new in digital. I use PDA (with stylus) and PocketDigi. More
      listen than transmit. As QRPer I sometimes in field without any
      connection to internet and with paper log.

      When I read papers/notes about different digimodes then I come trouble.
      BPSK31 is something like standard. This is OK.
      I understand that RTTY is bad. Sometimes I read, that new mode good for
      QRP and for change RTTY.

      I read, that Contestia better than Olivia in some conditions. And RTTYM
      is better than Contestia.
      I read, that DominoEX is better than Olivia...

      What is truth? What is better for digital QRP-DX?

      Jaak, ES1HJ/QRP
    • Steve Friis
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2007
        jaakhohensee wrote:
        > Hello!
        >
        > I am new in digital. I use PDA (with stylus) and PocketDigi. More
        > listen than transmit. As QRPer I sometimes in field without any
        > connection to internet and with paper log.
        >
        > When I read papers/notes about different digimodes then I come trouble.
        > BPSK31 is something like standard. This is OK.
        > I understand that RTTY is bad. Sometimes I read, that new mode good for
        > QRP and for change RTTY.
        >
        > I read, that Contestia better than Olivia in some conditions. And RTTYM
        > is better than Contestia.
        > I read, that DominoEX is better than Olivia...
        >
        > What is truth? What is better for digital QRP-DX?
        >
        > Jaak, ES1HJ/QRP

        The one that you hear the DX station operating with. Sounds simplistic,
        I know, but think about it. Each operator has a favorite mode. If you
        only use mode blahxxx ant the other station is using ooohzzz then if you
        want him in the log, you should change to ooohzzz.

        --
        Steve/WM5Z
        DM62oh

        No-one can change the past, but we all influence the future!
      • Carol & Fred Darrah
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2007
          Hello.
          There is a good article in last months issue of QEX magzine. It is about the real world test of the modes. Olivia as far as many who have tested the modes comes out with the greater reabability in trying conditions for DX. BPSK31 is the standard for many because they do not do a lot of DX contacts. There is no area of the USA that I can not do a decent BPSK contact with as I am in the center of the country.  QPSK31 is better but no one uses it.FEC31 is better than both but alas no one uses it. BPSK63 is at many times more readable than BPSK31.. How many times do you see this mode?
          .We are creatures of habit using only what is popular at the moment. WSJT is a good mode for call, grid, report and 73 no chat mode for sure. Olivia is a chat mode . I have had many QSO's with HB9TPL, my friend Daniel on 80 and 40 meters. Some as long as 1 and 1/2 hours. Many nights I have had QSO's with ZS6BUN on 40 meters when no one was doing DX. The truth is you must be in the right place at the right time. I do not use QRP because I am looking for the chat so I use about 75 to 100 watts as I owe it to my partner to provide him with a signal that is readable. I like the DX QSO's but it is all about communication with each other and learning from the experiences you both have had.
          Good luck on the QRP DX 73  Fred  N9GUE
        • Andrew O'Brien
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2007
            Most serious digital mode operators agree than under "average"
            conditions you will get better copy of weak signals as follows, in
            order.

            PACTOR III
            JT65A
            Olivia (1000/32 is usually best)
            ALE 400 ARQ
            DominoEX
            PSKAM10
            ThrobX
            MFSK16
            HELL
            QPSK31
            BPSK31
            QPSK63
            BPSK63
            RTTY 45
            PACKET

            On Dec 2, 2007 7:53 PM, Carol & Fred Darrah <cfdarrah@...> wrote:

            > Hello.
            > There is a good article in last months issue of QEX magzine. It is about the
            > real world test of the modes. Olivia as far as many who have tested the
            > modes comes out with the greater reabability in trying conditions for DX.
            > BPSK31 is the standard for many because they do not do a lot of DX contacts.
            > There is no area of the USA that I can not do a decent BPSK contact with as
            > I am in the center of the country. QPSK31 is better but no one uses
            > it.FEC31 is better than both but alas no one uses it. BPSK63 is at many
            > times more readable than BPSK31.. How many times do you see this mode?
            > .We are creatures of habit using only what is popular at the moment. WSJT is
            > a good mode for call, grid, report and 73 no chat mode for sure. Olivia is a
            > chat mode . I have had many QSO's with HB9TPL, my friend Daniel on 80 and 40
            > meters. Some as long as 1 and 1/2 hours. Many nights I have had QSO's with
            > ZS6BUN on 40 meters when no one was doing DX. The truth is you must be in
            > the right place at the right time. I do not use QRP because I am looking for
            > the chat so I use about 75 to 100 watts as I owe it to my partner to provide
            > him with a signal that is readable. I like the DX QSO's but it is all about
            > communication with each other and learning from the experiences you both
            > have had.
            > Good luck on the QRP DX 73 Fred N9GUE

            --
            Andy K3UK
            www.obriensweb.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2007
              Hi Jaak.

              One cannot say that one mode is better than the other. Different modes are good for different purposes.

              PSK31 will perform great, when there is no multipath and no polar flutter.
              RTTY is fast and easy to tune and synchronizes fast. This is important for contests.
              PSK63 is 2x wider and 2x faster than PSK31, needs 3dB stronger signal than PSK31. Is more immune to polar flutter than PSK31.
              MFSK16 is relatively fast, good in NVIS and immune to polar flutter, but is 250Hz wide, FEC dealys decoding and it is harder to tune.
              Olivia is easy to tune, but is wide and slow (there are different Olivia submodes though)
              Contestia could transmit only half of the Olivia symbols, is 2x faster than Olivia, but has lower S/N than Olivia.
              RTTYM is to Contestia as Contestia is to Olivia.

              I just gave couple of examples. But the point is, that there is no best mode.

              73, Vojtech OK1IAK
            • Jaak Hohensee
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
                Thanks to everybody who answerd to question about better mode for QRP-DX.
                As I understand, the digital word divided into special interest groups (in abstract):
                * digibird creators
                *digibird watchers
                *BPSK31 QSOers
                *all others

                Is there place for digiQRPers as special interest group?

                DigiQRP need more strong "standard" for modes and channels.
                1. BPSK31 seems to be one mode. But I dont see pros against CW.
                2. Olivia (Contestia?) 250/8 seems to be other mode. 250/8 format seems more suitable for content-short QRP-DX QSO, for km/W or DXCC hunting.

                Any comments?

                72, Jaak
                ES1HJ/QRP

                Vojtěch Bubník wrote:

[...]

                Kirjutas ja tervitab
                Jaak Hohensee
                gsm +37256 560172
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
                  Hi Jaak and other QRPers,

                  As a "little pistol" with QRP you won't have much choice of modes. Just
                  listen whoever is calling CQ and answer in the mode they are using. Only
                  if you arrange skeds with somebody willing to try different modes, you
                  will get good comparisons.

                  Most stations use BPSK31, not because it's the best mode but because
                  there are more chances to make QSOs. Other "randomly" heard modes: RTTY,
                  BPSK63, BPSK125, MFSK16, Throb, Feld-Hell, JT65A, Olivia (32/1000,
                  8/500. 16/500 and 8/250), MT63, PSKFEC31 and Domino EX.

                  Convincing the digital community of the advantages of Olivia will take a
                  lot of time. If you want to do that, it's best to mount a QRO
                  DX-pedition to a rare spot and use only Olivia ;-)

                  --
                  73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://ilgonis.gigacities.net