Acoustic link

  • jaakhohensee
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 28, 2007
      Hello

      Does anybody use acoustic link for decoding olivia signals? If yes,
      what is experience?

      The problem:
      I use PDA N560 with PocketDigi for digital. In this PDA there are no
      mic input plug.

      72, Jaak
      es1hj/qrp
    • Dale Blanchard
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 28, 2007
        --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "jaakhohensee" <jaak@...> wrote:

        > Hello
        >
        > Does anybody use acoustic link for decoding olivia signals? If yes,
        > what is experience?
        >
        > The problem:
        > I use PDA N560 with PocketDigi for digital. In this PDA there are no
        > mic input plug.
        >
        > 72, Jaak
        > es1hj/qrp

        I can decode PSK 31 using the built in mike on my lap top from the
        sound from the radio speaker.
        Dale
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 28, 2007

          ciao to all.

          i started making long distance calls on 160 mt olivia 500/16 at around 4-5.00 am utc, giving info also on the low band chat http://www.on4kst.info/chat/index.php (does anybody know other low band on line chats ?).

          so far i did not receive any answer, probably the season is not yet ready for 160 mt long distance calls and also solar activity is at minimum now. anyhow i keep on trying and i hope some of you will see me on waterfall and answer or send the report by email on this forum.

          73 to all and let's not forget the wonderful top band.

          massimo iz0gkz

        • Chris Gerber
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 29, 2007

            Hello Olivia users.

            The conditions ar down, but on the 20m PSK31 is always traffic. What I cant say from the
            Olivia bandsegement, between 14101.5 to 14110.5 Khz
            There is a saying: Use it or loose it !!!
            If we dont the Pactor III automates and Winlink systems will take over and the very best
            DX Transmission mode Olivia 1000/32 is gone.
            The band is open from Europe during 6:00 to 9:00 UTC to ZL, 3D2 and JA
            So I am asking Olivia operators from that, or other part of the world to listen or even call CQ.

            73 Chris HB9BDM
          • Claudio Ruben

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 29, 2007
                Hi Chris,

                I just sent cq three times in the past 15 minutes on 14.107.0
                (center) but no answers.

                Neil, w0yse, near Salt Lake City, UT

                --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Claudio Ruben" <toalje@...> wrote:

                > I `m usually qrv about 1900 z, beam Europa in 14105 but nobody call.
                > In psk always there were a lot of stations calling but in Olivia
                not happen
                > the same.
                >

                > 2007/10/29, Chris Gerber <chris.gerber@...>:
                > >

                > > Hello Olivia users.
                > >
                > > The conditions ar down, but on the 20m PSK31 is always traffic.
                What I
                > > cant say from the
                > > Olivia bandsegement, between 14101.5 to 14110.5 Khz
                > > There is a saying: Use it or loose it !!!
                > > If we dont the Pactor III automates and Winlink systems will take
                over and
                > > the very best
                > > DX Transmission mode Olivia 1000/32 is gone.
                > > The band is open from Europe during 6:00 to 9:00 UTC to ZL, 3D2
                and JA
                > > So I am asking Olivia operators from that, or other part of the
                world to
                > > listen or even call CQ.
                > >
                > > 73 Chris HB9BDM

              • "John Becker, WØJAB"
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 29, 2007
                  At 10:58 AM 10/29/2007, you wrote:

                  >Hello Olivia users.
                  >
                  >The conditions ar down, but on the 20m PSK31 is always traffic. What I cant say from the
                  >Olivia bandsegement, between 14101.5 to 14110.5 Khz
                  >There is a saying: Use it or loose it !!!

                  Effective January 1 2008 all automatically controlled unattended stations
                  up to 2.7Khz wide *MUST* be within 14,101 to 14,112.

                  If you are going to be keyboarding why not let them have that part since you
                  can move and they can not?

                  Just seems to me some are looking for trouble.
                • Chris Gerber
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 29, 2007
                    John

                    Tell me where to go with a 1Khz wide signal, below 14100 Khz its not allowed.
                    So we have been here for the last 10 years with MT63 then Olvia, but seems rules are made by a lobby
                    and not by listening IARU ofiicials

                    Chris

                    John Becker, WØJAB schrieb:

                    At 10:58 AM 10/29/2007, you wrote:

                    >Hello Olivia users.
                    >
                    >The conditions ar down, but on the 20m PSK31 is always traffic. What I cant say from the
                    >Olivia bandsegement, between 14101.5 to 14110.5 Khz
                    >There is a saying: Use it or loose it !!!

                    Effective January 1 2008 all automatically controlled unattended stations
                    up to 2.7Khz wide *MUST* be within 14,101 to 14,112.

                    If you are going to be keyboarding why not let them have that part since you
                    can move and they can not?

                    Just seems to me some are looking for trouble.

                  • Gunner
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 29, 2007
                      I monitor 14106.5 (1000/32) each day around 0730Z and just about every
                      morning I hear EU DX. May I suggest that this frequency be used as a
                      calling "channel", with possibly a move to 14105.5 or 14107.5 after
                      making contact? Or keep the QSO's short, to allow more DX contacts?

                      I do the same in the evening until the band closes here on the East
                      coast, then I switch to 7072.5 where I have worked DX on Olivia and MFSK.

                      If the band is quiet from 14105-14107, try a DX QSO in 2000/128 mode. I
                      have had contacts go from RST 546 in 1000/32 mode to RST 599 in 2000/128
                      mode. Takes up a lot of bandwidth but works great for weak signals.

                      Also, I highly recommend checking in to the K3UK Digital Reflector to
                      announce your call and maybe set up skeds with others ops. The URL is
                      <http://www.obriensweb.com/drsked/drsked.php> Its free and a great place
                      to meet other digital ops.

                      There is enough room for us and the automated stations to co-exist.

                      73 C u dn the wtrfal,
                      Glenn - KD4ULB
                      Olivia Modes Club #028

                      Chris Gerber wrote:

                      > Hello Olivia users.
                      >
                      > The conditions ar down, but on the 20m PSK31 is always traffic. What I
                      > cant say from the
                      > Olivia bandsegement, between 14101.5 to 14110.5 Khz
                      > There is a saying: Use it or loose it !!!
                      > If we dont the Pactor III automates and Winlink systems will take over
                      > and the very best
                      > DX Transmission mode Olivia 1000/32 is gone.
                      > The band is open from Europe during 6:00 to 9:00 UTC to ZL, 3D2 and JA
                      > So I am asking Olivia operators from that, or other part of the world
                      > to listen or even call CQ.
                      >
                      > 73 Chris HB9BDM

                    • "John Becker, WØJAB"
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 29, 2007
                        Ok what would have done?
                        Since Packet and Pactor has been in that part of the band for
                        over 20 years I can't buy your MT63 and olivia story.
                        They will just have 3 KC on 40 meters here. 7040 to 7043.

                        At 12:07 PM 10/29/2007, you wrote:
                        >Tell me where to go with a 1Khz wide signal, below 14100 Khz its not allowed.
                        >So we have been here for the last 10 years with MT63 then Olvia, but seems rules are made by a lobby
                        >and not by listening IARU ofiicials
                      • Carol & Fred Darrah
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 29, 2007
                          Hello All,
                          Why all the talk over Olivia? 14.103 to 14.110 Has been used for Olivia 1000/32 since it began. 2000 should never be used on crowded bands. 500/16 is wide enough and very readable under bad conditions. 250/8 is slow but under some conditions is as readable .If you want to save band width use the narrower modes. If on 20 meters you could use 500/16 in each 1000hz. Two conversations can take place. HB9TPL and I have had many QSOs on both 80 and 40 meters our private joke is are we the only ones on in the US and Europe? People thought JT65A was great and used the heck out of it for a while. We are a fad driven group. Olivia has proved out by many of us in Europe ,Australia and the USA to be the best readable mode under trying conditions. Daniel HB9TPL has an excellent article in QEX November issue. It is Signal Resilience to Ionospheric Distortion of HF Digital Chat Modes.
                          If you read the article I think it will put to rest what is the best mode under trying conditions.
                          What you use is up to you. I try to use Olivia as much as possible as I know it is the difference of having a good ,readable DX QSO or none at all. Waldis  VK1WJ posted an email that he would be on 20 meters in 250/8. He listed the center frequency and we connected and had a very readable QSO of some length.Even after posting there was no one there to contact him.Good DX to all.. Listen patiently and try harder.DX is alive and well.     73 Fred  N9GUE
                        • Patricia (Elaine) Gibbons
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 29, 2007
                            I think ..... that the old novice bands should have been redefined as DATA and not simply more space for voice operations ...

                            Elaine

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 30, 2007
                              Seems calenders and history are different in the USA
                              As we started MT63 in the late 90 when is was written ba Pawel Jalocha
                              at 14063 Khz and got chased off by pactor station every 0.5 Khz, then later
                              at 2002/2003 came Olivia and we stayed on above 14100 Khz
                              By the way Pactor III came around the same time as MT63 at around
                              1997. Thats just for the facts.
                              To state Pawel Jalocha the father of PSK31, Mt63 and Olivia which is
                              living almost next door to me, Olivia 1000/32 is the best setting of all
                              Olivia modes, regardless whats written on some Homepages
                              For me this subject is now closed !!!!

                              73 Chris

                              John Becker, WØJAB schrieb:

                              Ok what would have done?
                              Since Packet and Pactor has been in that part of the band for
                              over 20 years I can't buy your MT63 and olivia story.
                              They will just have 3 KC on 40 meters here. 7040 to 7043.

                              At 12:07 PM 10/29/2007, you wrote:
                              >Tell me where to go with a 1Khz wide signal, below 14100 Khz its not allowed.
                              >So we have been here for the last 10 years with MT63 then Olvia, but seems rules are made by a lobby
                              >and not by listening IARU ofiicials

                            • Les Keppie
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 30, 2007
                                Just to keep the record straight the following is the first
                                decoded message in Olivia on 05 Dec 2004 from OH/DK4ZC to
                                VK2DSG 0N 14105.5 KHZ
                                MFSK log on 05dec2004_213317
                                210/0/-6: 'FO', S/N = 94.8/11.8 = 8.0
                                217/1/-4: ' URz6', S/N = 99.2/12.4 = 8.0
                                220/0/-1: 'F zp', S/N = 95.3/11.6 = 8.2
                                338/1/+6: '|i*IF', S/N = 76.5/ 9.4 = 8.1
                                454/1/-6: ')E H', S/N = 67.0/ 7.7 = 8.7
                                945/0/-8: '| Rz\', S/N = 92.4/11.5 = 8.0
                                1007/0/+0: 'pq st', S/N = 122.9/11.7 = 10.5
                                1007/0/+1: 'pqrst', S/N = 114.1/11.1 = 10.3
                                1007/1/+0: 'pqrst', S/N = 163.7/11.5 = 14.2
                                1007/1/+1: 'pqrst', S/N = 148.5/10.9 = 13.7
                                1014/0/+0: 'O ] p', S/N = 100.9/12.4 = 8.2
                                1071/0/+0: 'uvwxy', S/N = 114.6/ 9.2 = 12.4
                                1071/0/+1: 'uvwxy', S/N = 111.0/ 8.7 = 12.7
                                1071/1/-1: 'uvwxy', S/N = 91.3/10.0 = 9.1
                                1071/1/+0: 'uvwxy', S/N = 162.0/ 7.9 = 20.4
                                1071/1/+1: 'uvwxy', S/N = 150.3/ 7.7 = 19.4
                                1071/1/+2: 'uGwxy', S/N = 92.4/10.9 = 8.5
                                1114/0/+0: 'E & R', S/N = 85.4/10.5 = 8.1
                                1116/1/+0: ']4U<p', S/N = 92.1/11.2 = 8.3
                                1116/1/+1: ' 4U<p', S/N = 85.2/10.3 = 8.3
                                1135/0/-1: 'z12\4', S/N = 85.5/10.5 = 8.2
                                1135/0/+0: 'z1234', S/N = 140.3/ 8.9 = 15.8
                                1135/0/+1: 'z1234', S/N = 119.1/ 9.7 = 12.3
                                1135/1/-1: 'z1234', S/N = 94.1/10.5 = 9.0
                                1135/1/+0: 'z1234', S/N = 172.7/ 8.6 = 20.1
                                1135/1/+1: 'z1234', S/N = 147.2/ 8.5 = 17.2
                                1174/1/+5: 'F 1A6', S/N = 99.2/11.9 = 8.3
                                1327/0/-1: 'defrh', S/N = 98.9/11.3 = 8.7
                                1327/0/+0: 'defgh', S/N = 160.7/10.0 = 16.0
                                1327/0/+1: 'defgh', S/N = 145.1/ 9.6 = 15.2
                                1327/0/+2: 'def> ', S/N = 102.6/12.2 = 8.4
                                1327/1/+0: 'defgh', S/N = 132.8/10.2 = 13.0
                                1327/1/+1: 'defgh', S/N = 122.8/ 9.6 = 12.8
                                1455/0/+0: 'nopqr', S/N = 135.4/ 9.0 = 15.1
                                1455/0/+1: 'nopqr', S/N = 128.9/ 8.1 = 15.9
                                1455/1/+0: 'nop]r', S/N = 82.2/ 9.6 = 8.6
                                1455/1/+1: 'nopqr', S/N = 80.3/ 9.5 = 8.4
                                1518/1/+0: 'sUu=w', S/N = 75.6/ 9.4 = 8.0
                                1519/0/-1: 'stuvw', S/N = 79.1/ 9.6 = 8.2
                                1519/0/+0: 'stuvw', S/N = 148.4/ 7.7 = 19.3
                                1519/0/+1: 'stuvw', S/N = 119.4/ 8.1 = 14.7
                                1519/0/+2: 'stuQw', S/N = 84.3/10.4 = 8.1
                                1519/1/+0: 'sSuvw', S/N = 79.0/ 9.3 = 8.5
                                1565/0/-6: 'tAj6Q', S/N = 90.7/11.0 = 8.2
                                1582/1/-1: ' yz1 ', S/N = 81.4/ 9.3 = 8.7
                                1582/1/+0: 'xyz12', S/N = 114.1/ 9.1 = 12.5
                                1582/1/+1: 'xyz12', S/N = 104.3/ 8.6 = 12.1
                                1583/0/-2: 'F z1%', S/N = 92.5/11.4 = 8.1
                                1583/0/-1: 'F z12', S/N = 98.4/10.1 = 9.8
                                1583/0/+0: 'xyz12', S/N = 171.0/ 8.0 = 21.4
                                1583/0/+1: 'xyz12', S/N = 153.5/ 7.5 = 20.5
                                1611/1/+4: ' 8 p ', S/N = 92.1/10.7 = 8.6
                                1646/1/-2: 'F4567', S/N = 93.2/11.5 = 8.1
                                1646/1/-1: 'F4567', S/N = 100.1/10.7 = 9.4
                                1646/1/+0: '34567', S/N = 160.4/ 9.1 = 17.6
                                1646/1/+1: '34567', S/N = 146.9/ 8.8 = 16.7
                                1647/0/-2: 'F4569', S/N = 116.6/12.5 = 9.3
                                1647/0/-1: 'F4567', S/N = 119.4/11.6 = 10.2
                                1647/0/+0: '34567', S/N = 216.3/ 7.3 = 29.6
                                1647/0/+1: '34567', S/N = 201.9/ 7.4 = 27.4
                                1647/0/+2: '345\7', S/N = 114.1/12.5 = 9.2
                                1647/0/+3: '3h5\7', S/N = 107.6/11.8 = 9.1
                                1673/0/+7: ' ~Z ', S/N = 98.9/11.8 = 8.4
                                1684/0/-6: 'Pt s', S/N = 109.7/12.4 = 8.8
                                1684/0/-5: '4Z s', S/N = 95.0/11.9 = 8.0
                                1704/1/+4: ' faW|', S/N = 97.0/11.8 = 8.2
                                1710/1/-1: '8 0 a', S/N = 91.4/10.4 = 8.8
                                1710/1/+0: '890 a', S/N = 166.7/ 8.9 = 18.8
                                1710/1/+1: '890 a', S/N = 142.2/ 8.8 = 16.1
                                1711/0/-2: '890 a', S/N = 110.7/12.2 = 9.0
                                1711/0/-1: '890 a', S/N = 113.8/11.0 = 10.4
                                1711/0/+0: '890 a', S/N = 193.0/ 8.6 = 22.4
                                1711/0/+1: '890 a', S/N = 167.5/ 8.6 = 19.5
                                1755/1/+5: '%PDl ', S/N = 76.8/ 9.6 = 8.0
                                1774/1/+0: 'bcdef', S/N = 121.0/ 8.6 = 14.1
                                1774/1/+1: 'bcdef', S/N = 111.3/ 7.9 = 14.1
                                1775/0/+0: 'bcdef', S/N = 121.7/ 8.7 = 14.0
                                1775/0/+1: 'bcdef', S/N = 106.2/ 8.2 = 12.9
                                1838/1/-1: 'ghijk', S/N = 104.2/10.6 = 9.8
                                1838/1/+0: 'ghijk', S/N = 184.6/ 7.9 = 23.4
                                1838/1/+1: 'ghijk', S/N = 172.7/ 7.6 = 22.6
                                1838/1/+2: 'ghi k', S/N = 99.1/11.8 = 8.4
                                1838/1/+3: 'ghi k', S/N = 91.0/11.2 = 8.1
                                1839/0/+0: 'ghijk', S/N = 154.9/ 8.8 = 17.6
                                1839/0/+1: 'ghijk', S/N = 144.0/ 9.0 = 15.9
                                1839/0/+2: '?hi k', S/N = 97.0/11.2 = 8.7
                                1895/1/+5: ' #g7 ', S/N = 89.2/11.0 = 8.1
                                1902/1/-2: '2mnop', S/N = 105.3/12.2 = 8.6
                                1902/1/-1: 'lmnop', S/N = 111.2/11.0 = 10.1
                                1902/1/+0: 'lmnop', S/N = 194.1/ 8.0 = 24.1
                                1902/1/+1: 'lmnop', S/N = 177.5/ 7.9 = 22.4
                                1903/0/+0: 'lmnop', S/N = 152.8/ 9.6 = 15.8
                                1903/0/+1: 'lmnop', S/N = 136.1/ 9.2 = 14.8
                                1903/0/+2: 'lmno#', S/N = 96.7/11.8 = 8.2
                                1924/1/+4: 'pQs7u', S/N = 103.0/12.5 = 8.3
                                1941/1/+3: '("-)i', S/N = 95.8/11.8 = 8.1
                                1966/1/-1: 'qrstu', S/N = 86.1/ 9.9 = 8.7
                                1966/1/+0: 'qrstu', S/N = 180.8/ 7.2 = 25.1
                                1966/1/+1: 'qrstu', S/N = 147.9/ 7.5 = 19.7
                                1966/1/+2: 'qrstu', S/N = 102.5/11.2 = 9.1
                                1967/0/-1: ' Cstu', S/N = 75.2/ 9.3 = 8.1
                                1967/0/+0: 'qrstu', S/N = 115.5/ 9.2 = 12.6
                                1967/0/+1: 'qrstu', S/N = 105.9/ 8.4 = 12.6
                                2030/0/+0: 'vwxrz', S/N = 80.2/ 9.1 = 8.8
                                2030/1/+0: 'vwxyz', S/N = 129.7/ 8.4 = 15.4
                                2030/1/+1: 'vwxyz', S/N = 105.5/ 8.5 = 12.5
                                2094/0/+1: '12p45', S/N = 81.4/10.1 = 8.0
                                2094/1/-1: '12345', S/N = 91.0/10.4 = 8.8
                                2094/1/+0: '12345', S/N = 174.5/ 8.1 = 21.6
                                2094/1/+1: '12345', S/N = 156.6/ 7.8 = 20.0
                                2094/1/+2: '12Y45', S/N = 94.2/11.4 = 8.3
                                2095/0/+0: '12345', S/N = 100.8/ 9.9 = 10.2
                                2095/0/+1: '12345', S/N = 91.1/10.0 = 9.1
                                2158/0/+0: '67890', S/N = 128.4/ 9.1 = 14.1
                                2158/0/+1: '67890', S/N = 119.2/ 8.7 = 13.7
                                2158/1/-2: 'C7890', S/N = 102.2/11.8 = 8.7
                                2158/1/-1: '67890', S/N = 109.0/10.4 = 10.5
                                2158/1/+0: '67890', S/N = 192.2/ 7.5 = 25.7
                                2158/1/+1: '67890', S/N = 168.2/ 7.6 = 22.2
                                2158/1/+2: 'M7890', S/N = 100.6/11.8 = 8.5
                                2159/0/+0: '67890', S/N = 85.0/10.5 = 8.1
                                2159/0/+1: ' 7890', S/N = 90.1/ 9.7 = 9.3
                                2222/1/+0: ' abcd', S/N = 79.4/ 7.6 = 10.4
                                2281/1/+3: ' jI ', S/N = 69.1/ 8.0 = 8.7
                                2286/0/+0: 'efghi', S/N = 74.6/ 8.4 = 8.9
                                2286/0/+1: 'efghi', S/N = 65.6/ 8.1 = 8.1
                                2286/1/+0: 'efghi', S/N = 92.0/ 7.9 = 11.6
                                2286/1/+1: 'efghi', S/N = 80.8/ 7.7 = 10.4
                                2350/0/-2: 'jklmn', S/N = 97.4/11.2 = 8.7
                                2350/0/-1: 'jklmn', S/N = 109.0/10.5 = 10.3
                                2350/0/+0: 'jklmn', S/N = 179.7/ 7.5 = 23.9
                                2350/0/+1: 'jklmn', S/N = 165.6/ 8.2 = 20.2
                                2350/0/+2: 'jklmn', S/N = 91.4/11.1 = 8.2
                                2350/1/-1: 'jklmn', S/N = 105.0/11.0 = 9.6
                                2350/1/+0: 'jklmn', S/N = 188.5/ 8.0 = 23.7
                                2350/1/+1: 'jklmn', S/N = 160.1/ 8.8 = 18.2
                                2350/1/+2: 'jklmn', S/N = 97.6/11.9 = 8.2
                                2369/1/-8: 'O[Pgl', S/N = 82.6/10.1 = 8.2
                                2414/0/+0: 'opqrs', S/N = 118.9/ 7.8 = 15.3
                                2414/0/+1: 'opqrs', S/N = 97.9/ 8.3 = 11.8
                                2414/1/+0: 'opqrs', S/N = 101.3/ 8.6 = 11.8
                                2414/1/+1: 'opqrs', S/N = 90.3/ 7.9 = 11.4
                                2478/0/-1: 'tuvwx', S/N = 100.1/10.2 = 9.8
                                2478/0/+0: 'tuvwx', S/N = 175.9/ 7.8 = 22.5
                                2478/0/+1: 'tuvwx', S/N = 157.3/ 8.0 = 19.6
                                2478/0/+2: 'tuvwB', S/N = 96.9/11.4 = 8.5
                                2478/1/-1: 'tuvwx', S/N = 84.9/10.5 = 8.1
                                2478/1/+0: 'tuvwx', S/N = 156.0/ 8.7 = 17.9
                                2478/1/+1: 'tuvwx', S/N = 141.3/ 8.4 = 16.8
                                2542/0/+0: 'yz123', S/N = 142.8/ 8.6 = 16.5
                                2542/0/+1: 'yz123', S/N = 120.7/ 8.1 = 14.8
                                2542/1/+0: 'yz123', S/N = 104.6/ 8.3 = 12.5
                                2542/1/+1: 'yz123', S/N = 98.5/ 8.9 = 11.1
                                2599/1/+2: '(TV1B', S/N = 85.7/10.7 = 8.0
                                2606/0/-1: '4 678', S/N = 90.2/10.5 = 8.6
                                2606/0/+0: '45678', S/N = 156.8/ 9.3 = 16.9
                                2606/0/+1: '45678', S/N = 130.6/ 9.4 = 13.9
                                2606/1/+1: '4567<', S/N = 82.5/10.1 = 8.1
                                2670/0/+0: '90 ab', S/N = 145.4/ 7.8 = 18.7
                                2670/0/+1: '90 ab', S/N = 104.9/10.3 = 10.1
                                2733/1/+5: ' e a ', S/N = 65.4/ 8.1 = 8.0
                                I have in fact kept copies of the first two transmissions
                                from Fred
                                Les VK2DSG

                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 30, 2007
                                  Chris Gerber wrote:
                                  <snip>
                                  > To state Pawel Jalocha the father of PSK31, Mt63 and Olivia which is
                                  > living almost next door to me, Olivia 1000/32 is the best setting of all
                                  > Olivia modes, regardless whats written on some Homepages
                                  > For me this subject is now closed !!!!
                                  >
                                  > 73 Chris

                                  Hi all,

                                  If only it were that simple. Somebody ought to define the term "best"
                                  before we get carried away; and dare I say what's best in one person's
                                  view is not always best in another's.

                                  On crowded bands one can certainly have more QSOs if everybody uses
                                  8/250. If there is no crowd to contend with 32/1000 is much faster and
                                  allows more chatting. And that's only one of many potential conflicts.
                                  So who's to say what submode is better? The beauty of the mode is, that
                                  there ARE so many submodes, so people can adapt to various scenarios. It
                                  is counterproductive to crown one submode as "best".

                                  --
                                  73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://ilgonis.gigacities.net
                                • Chris Gerber
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 30, 2007

                                    Sorry Les,

                                    Did not remember anymore, that the Girl (Olivia) was that young, we are getting older, are we not?

                                    73 Chris__,_.
                                  • MICHELE DOLCI
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 30, 2007
                                      Massimo,
                                      do you want to try tonight after 20.00 UTC on 1838.5?
                                      Regards.
                                      Miche IW2AAW

                                      massimo sessa <iz0gkzdiodo@...> ha scritto:

                                      ciao to all.

                                      i started making long distance calls on 160 mt olivia 500/16 at around 4-5.00 am utc, giving info also on the low band chat http://www.on4kst. info/chat/ index.php (does anybody know other low band on line chats ?).

                                      so far i did not receive any answer, probably the season is not yet ready for 160 mt long distance calls and also solar activity is at minimum now. anyhow i keep on trying and i hope some of you will see me on waterfall and answer or send the report by email on this forum.

                                      73 to all and let's not forget the wonderful top band.

                                      massimo iz0gkz

                                      Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi, antispam, antivirus, POP3