Olivia

  • erica.wade
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 28, 2007
      I am new to Olivia. I use HRD with Dm780. Looks easy to use, but I
      never hear or see a signal. I suspect, from reading other posts, that
      there is not a lot of activity in this mode. Can anyone give me some
      tips on where & when I am most likely to raise or encounter a qso on
      20 meters?

      Any help to get me started would be most appreciated.

      Yooper, ai4pf
    • Andrew O'Brien
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 28, 2007
        14105 to 14108 and also 14073 t0 14077

        --
        Andy K3UK
        www.obriensweb.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 28, 2007
          Also, don't forget to visit some of the digital activity reflector
          websites, like W3UK's at
          <www.obriensweb.com/drsked/drsked.php>
          where you can meet others and maybe establish a connection.

          Also, a rule of thumb for the frequencies;

          14073 t0 14077 - park your dial on the .65's (14073.65, 14074.65, etc)
          and set DM780 to 500/16 and your Audio Center Frequency (or offset, the
          center of your waterfall marker) to about 750hz

          14105 to 14108 - Park your dial on the .50's (14105.50. 14106.50, etc)
          and set DM780 to 1000/32 and your ACF (marker center) to 1000hz

          Hope that helps!

          R/
          Glenn KD4ULB
          Olivia Club #026

          erica.wade wrote:
          > I am new to Olivia. I use HRD with Dm780. Looks easy to use, but I
          > never hear or see a signal. I suspect, from reading other posts, that
          > there is not a lot of activity in this mode. Can anyone give me some
          > tips on where & when I am most likely to raise or encounter a qso on
          > 20 meters?
          >
          > Any help to get me started would be most appreciated.
          >
          > Yooper, ai4pf

        • erica.wade
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 29, 2007
            Hi Andy: Thanks for the reply. Followed your advice. I can hear the
            signals very plainly, and I can see what I take to be the trace, but
            when I click on the trace----nothing is decoded. Puzzling. What am I
            doing wrong? Again, any help you can give to get me going is much
            appreciated. I am weary of PSK31 & would like very much to make some
            progress using Olivia.

            Yooper, ai4pf

            --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew O'Brien" <andrewobrie@...>
            wrote:

            > 14105 to 14108 and also 14073 t0 14077
            >

            > On 9/28/07, erica.wade <erica.wade@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am new to Olivia. I use HRD with Dm780. Looks easy to use, but I
            > > never hear or see a signal. I suspect, from reading other posts, that
            > > there is not a lot of activity in this mode. Can anyone give me some
            > > tips on where & when I am most likely to raise or encounter a qso on
            > > 20 meters?
            > >
            > > Any help to get me started would be most appreciated.
            > >
            > > Yooper, ai4pf
            > >

            > --
            > Andy K3UK
            > www.obriensweb.com
            > (QSL via N2RJ)

          • Andrew O'Brien
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 29, 2007
              Yooper, are you sure you are not hearing RTTY, there is a RTTY contest this weekend and RTTY all over the place.

              --
              Andy K3UK
              www.obriensweb.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 29, 2007
                Andy: I have no idea what RTTY sounds like. The sounds I do hear sound
                like a fluttering piccalo or maybe a loon.

                wrote:

                > Yooper, are you sure you are not hearing RTTY, there is a RTTY
                contest this
                > weekend and RTTY all over the place.
                >
                > On 9/29/07, erica.wade <erica.wade@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Andy: Thanks for the reply. Followed your advice. I can hear the
                > > signals very plainly, and I can see what I take to be the trace, but
                > > when I click on the trace----nothing is decoded. Puzzling. What am I
                > > doing wrong? Again, any help you can give to get me going is much
                > > appreciated. I am weary of PSK31 & would like very much to make some
                > > progress using Olivia.
                > >
                > > Yooper, ai4pf
                > >
                > > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com <oliviadata%40yahoogroups.com>,
                "Andrew
                > > O'Brien" <andrewobrie@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > 14105 to 14108 and also 14073 t0 14077

                > > > --
                > > > Andy K3UK
                > > > www.obriensweb.com
                > > > (QSL via N2RJ)
                > > >

                > --
                > Andy K3UK
                > www.obriensweb.com
                > (QSL via N2RJ)

              • Andrew O'Brien
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 29, 2007
                  The loon will be RTTY.  To find out what Olivia sounds like , you should be able to hear it if you transmit.

                  --
                  Andy K3UK
                  www.obriensweb.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 29, 2007
                    There is also quite a bit of MFSK16 around, too, since Simon added
                    several different modes to HRD. You should be able to tell which is
                    which by careful observation of the signals on your waterfall. Olivia
                    is considerably broader than MFSK16, taking up about 1kHz of
                    waterfall.

                    Graeme zl1gbb

                    wrote:

                    > The loon will be RTTY. To find out what Olivia sounds like , you
                    should be
                    > able to hear it if you transmit.
                    >
                    > On 9/29/07, erica.wade <erica.wade@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Andy: I have no idea what RTTY sounds like. The sounds I do
                    hear sound
                    > > like a fluttering piccalo or maybe a loon.
                    > >
                    > > Yooper, ai4pf
                    > >
                    > > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com <oliviadata%
                    40yahoogroups.com>, "Andrew
                    > > O'Brien" <andrewobrie@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Yooper, are you sure you are not hearing RTTY, there is a RTTY
                    > > contest this
                    > > > weekend and RTTY all over the place.

                    What am I

                    40yahoogroups.com><oliviadata%40yahoogroups.com>,

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 30, 2007
                      Hi All,

                      Simple solution if you want to hear how Olivia sounds: Plug in real
                      speakers into your soundcard and do a CQ in Olivia.

                      --
                      73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ -
                      http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis/index.html
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 30, 2007
                        and also just switch on a receiver during your cq test transmission in olivia on same usb frequency (i always use this system to verify that my olivia transmission is ok). ciao, massimo iz0gkz

                        --
                        73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ -
                        http://mywebpage. netscape. com/ilgonis/ index.html

                      • al2ok
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 8, 2010
                          I been just listening right now and find it hard to locate Olivia or for that matter any other mode ,other then plenty of PSK31 and RTTY.

                          The other modes I do come across seem to be "scrambled" ?

                          I am using MULTIPSK.

                          I've checked 20 / 40 and 80 meters as well as the frequencies listed for Olivia here in the yahoo group.
                          I've listened to these modes on various websites to try the learn what to listen for.
                          One day I thought I heard the sound of Olivia but again it came across "scrambled" it was close to one of the frequencies listed here in yahoo group ,I listened on 20 & 40 frequencies.

                          PSK31 and RTTY work great,even SCTV ?

                          Al
                        • Pete
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 8, 2010
                            Yes its hard to find ,just as hard to get anyone on psk31 to swop modes
                            hi hi 14107.5 14.106.5 at 32/1000 is a good start
                            at least you stand a chance at using the same mode configurtion I was
                            watching a SV talking to a Russian station last night at about 0800z
                            2100 here in zl I could not hear the warble but saw a very faint trace
                            copy was 90% print de Pete zl2aub

                            al2ok wrote:
                            > I been just listening right now and find it hard to locate Olivia or for that matter any other mode ,other then plenty of PSK31 and RTTY.
                            >
                            > The other modes I do come across seem to be "scrambled" ?
                            >
                            > I am using MULTIPSK.
                            >
                            > I've checked 20 / 40 and 80 meters as well as the frequencies listed for Olivia here in the yahoo group.
                            > I've listened to these modes on various websites to try the learn what to listen for.
                            > One day I thought I heard the sound of Olivia but again it came across "scrambled" it was close to one of the frequencies listed here in yahoo group ,I listened on 20 & 40 frequencies.
                            >
                            > PSK31 and RTTY work great,even SCTV ?
                            >
                            > Al

                          • Chris Gerber
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 9, 2010
                              Hi All

                              There is still a some activity on +/- 1 Khz on 14106.500 Khz with 1000/32 Olivia
                              there are at  around 15:00 to 17:00 Utc several US station on stby or working to europe
                              or inside the us, what lacking are JA and ZL stations which where around until the
                              activity dropped due the sun activity low, but now I am able to hear the ZL and JA beacon
                              on 141000 Khz almost ever day at around 8:00 - 9:00 UTC.
                              So give it a try !!

                              Chris HB9BDM

                              al2ok wrote:
                              > I been just listening right now and find it hard to locate Olivia or for that matter any other mode ,other then plenty of PSK31 and RTTY.

                            • Jonathan Helis KB5IAV
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 9, 2010
                                It can be hard to identify modes by sound and/or waterfall appearance,
                                especially the ones you don't see much of.

                                I've found several samples of digital modes sounds and video posted on
                                YouTube. Just search the name of the mode and a video might be there.

                                Another source of this information is the website for Fldigi. There are
                                pictures of the waterfall and recordings of the sound there too. That
                                has really helped me in learning to identify digital modes. Another
                                thing I've done is just try modes at random and sometimes I find one
                                that works.

                                Jonathan Helis, KB5IAV
                                Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA