Activity

  • Simon Brown
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2007
      Is there much activity? I'm adding Olivia to a software program today / tomorrow - the aim of the exercise is self-education.

      I see Olivia users also making use of JT65 - any comments about this mode compared to Olivia? What about the WSJT software - good, user friendly etc.?

      Simon Brown, HB9DRV
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9, 2007
        Hi Simon,

        Unfortunately there is not much activity now. The best chance for DX is
        30m, I sporadically came up, but chances are much better to make CW,
        PSK31 or MFSK contacts there.

        WSJT is OK, it consists of FSK441, JT65 (submodes A,B,C) and JT6m
        (especially for 6m propagation; a mixture of JT65 and FSK441). All modes
        allow you only to exchange the very basics of a QSO (callsigns, reports
        and acknowledgment of receipt). FSK441 is good for Meteorscatter, JT65
        for EME. Of course JT65 can be used on HF as well, especially at the low
        of the solar cycle now. Therefore it allows QSOs on 20m when everything
        else fails. But you can't have a ragchew. Whenever you can HEAR JT65,
        Olivia could be used for REAL QSOs. JT65's strength lies with signals
        below the required strength for Olivia.

        --
        73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ -
        http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis/index.html

        Simon Brown wrote:

        > Is there much activity? I'm adding Olivia to a software program today /
        > tomorrow - the aim of the exercise is self-education.
        >
        > I see Olivia users also making use of JT65 - any comments about this
        > mode compared to Olivia? What about the WSJT software - good, user
        > friendly etc.?
        >
        > Simon Brown, HB9DRV
      • Claudio Ruben
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9, 2007
          Hi: Every day there are some stations near 14105 usb.

          73's

          Claudio-LU2VCD

          Simon Brown wrote:

          > Is there much activity? I'm adding Olivia to a software program today /
          > tomorrow - the aim of the exercise is self-education.
          >
          > I see Olivia users also making use of JT65 - any comments about this
          > mode compared to Olivia? What about the WSJT software - good, user
          > friendly etc.?
          >
          > Simon Brown, HB9DRV

        • Jim Orcheson
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 9, 2007
            Simon,

            See http://www.oliviamodesclub.net/modules.php?name=Olivia_frq for a
            list of suggested Olivia frequencies.

            I can't comment on how much activity there is at the moment since I have
            been off the air for several months, but the was daily activity around
            the start of this year in the 14105 kHz range. Also, with the formation
            of the Olivia Modes Club, there should be increasing activity.

            73, Jim VA3JNO