Re: JT65A and Olivia 16/500 are OK on 14076-14078 kHz

  • lazysenior
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 11, 2007
      --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "expeditionradio"
      <expeditionradio@...> wrote:

      > This has been the Olivia 16/500 frequency before JT65A
      > started on 20 meters.
      > 14076.4kHz is the signal center frequency for Olivia 16/500,
      > (not VFO freq).
      >

      > Olivia does not interfere with JT65A on 14076 VFO frequency.
      > Normal Olivia signal is 14076.15 to 14076.65 kHz.
      > Normal JT65A signal is at 14077.27 to 14077.8 kHz.
      >
      > Bonnie KQ6XA

      HUH? having been an Op who has used Olivia since it first came out,
      this is news to me. I also have been using JT65a for a month. NEVER
      have I heard Olivia on these freqs. RTTY yes. Hellscriber yes. MFSK
      yes. CW yes. OLIVIA NEVER.

      Also not everyone uses 14.076 as a JT65a freq. Many JT65a are up or
      down 300-500hz from 14076 vfo freq.

      All the many contacts I have ever made on 20 mtr Olivia were on
      14.105 to 14.110.

      Stan K9IUQ
    • lazysenior
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 11, 2007
        --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "lazysenior" <lazysenior@...> wrote:

        > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "expeditionradio"
        > <expeditionradio@> wrote:
        >
        > > This has been the Olivia 16/500 frequency before JT65A
        > > started on 20 meters.
        > > 14076.4kHz is the signal center frequency for Olivia 16/500,
        > > (not VFO freq).
        > >

        > > Olivia does not interfere with JT65A on 14076 VFO frequency.
        > > Normal Olivia signal is 14076.15 to 14076.65 kHz.
        > > Normal JT65A signal is at 14077.27 to 14077.8 kHz.
        > >
        > > Bonnie KQ6XA

        > OLIVIA NEVER

        And no sooner do I write that I check out (2115Z) 14076 mhz. And find
        a 500hz Olivia station which has his gain so high he is actually
        1200hz wide. Even a properly setup 500hz Olivia on 14076 will not make
        the JT65a fellows happy.

        Olivia does not interfere with Jt65a on 14076? NOT.

        No wonder the JT65a guys were upset.....

        Personally I have seen a fall off of Olivia activity the last year or
        so. I suspect it is going to go the way of Amtor. The chances of
        actually making a contact on Olivia are better on 14105 -14110 where
        both 500hz and 1000hz are used.

        Stan K9IUQ
      • John Becker
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 11, 2007
          Stan
          Amtor is a long way from being dead.
          I only use RTTY Pactor and Amtor and have never gone
          QRT for the evening without a amtor or pactor QSO

          John

          >Personally I have seen a fall off of Olivia activity the last year or
          >so. I suspect it is going to go the way of Amtor. The chances of
          >actually making a contact on Olivia are better on 14105 -14110 where
          >both 500hz and 1000hz are used.
          >
          >Stan K9IUQ

          >--
          >CQ Frequency Olivia 500/16 = 14076.4kHz (center)

          >.
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jon Maguire
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 11, 2007

            Stan,

            To what do you attribute the decline of Olivia and the rise of JT65a? Thanks.

            73... Jon W1MNK
            And no sooner do I write that I check out (2115Z) 14076 mhz. And find
            a 500hz Olivia station which has his gain so high he is actually
            1200hz wide. Even a properly setup 500hz Olivia on 14076 will not make
            the JT65a fellows happy.

            Olivia does not interfere with Jt65a on 14076? NOT.

            No wonder the JT65a guys were upset.....

            Personally I have seen a fall off of Olivia activity the last year or
            so. I suspect it is going to go the way of Amtor. The chances of
            actually making a contact on Olivia are better on 14105 -14110 where
            both 500hz and 1000hz are used.

            Stan K9IUQ

          • expeditionradio
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 11, 2007
              > HUH? having been an Op who has used Olivia since it first came out,
              > this is news to me.
              > All the many contacts I have ever made on 20 mtr Olivia were on
              > 14.105 to 14.110.
              >
              > Stan K9IUQ

              Hi Stan,

              You have obviously missed a lot of Olivia QSOs around 14075-14079.
              Perhaps that is why you think it is going away.
              I assure you, it is alive and well, there isn't anything else out
              there that does what it does.

              Bonnie KQ6XA
            • expeditionradio
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 11, 2007
                > Stan K9IUQ wrote:
                > Olivia does not interfere with Jt65a on 14076? NOT.
                > The chances of actually making a contact on Olivia are
                > better on 14105 -14110 where both 500hz and 1000hz are used.

                It is mainly 32 tone 1000Hz BW at 14106.5-14108.5 VFO freq.
                It is mainly 16 tone 500Hz BW at 14075-14078 VFO freq.

                JT65A users started camping on the Olivia 14076 freq a few months ago,
                and now you act like they own it :)

                Anyway, Olivia and JT65A fit together very well in the same area of
                the band, since they are both excellent weak signal modes. You can
                open a "QSO in a can" with JT65A, then switch to a "real QSO" with
                Olivia 16/500 on the same VFO frequency.

                The biggest problem with Olivia operation at 14106-14108 is that it is
                the middle of the International automatic sub-band (14101-14112).
                There is no need for Olivia ops to fight with automatic stations
                there. The auto stations have only a little 11kHz subband to operate in.

                I enjoy all digital modes, and I work both JT65A and Olivia. But
                personally, I must say that I don't find as much enjoyment with JT65A
                as I do with Olivia. Perhaps, there isn't quite so much excitement for
                me in just a signal report any more... I get hundreds of signal
                reports every day on ALE...

                73 Bonnie KQ6XA
              • lazysenior
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 12, 2007
                  <expeditionradio@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Stan,
                  >
                  > You have obviously missed a lot of Olivia QSOs around 14075-14079.
                  > Perhaps that is why you think it is going away.
                  > I assure you, it is alive and well, there isn't anything else out
                  > there that does what it does.
                  >
                  > Bonnie KQ6XA

                  Bonnie, I think you may be right, I have never listened for Olivia in
                  that portion of the band.However operating in 14.075 to 14076 will not
                  win one friends with the JT65a group.Since I operate both Jt65a and
                  Olivia I dont think I would be comfortable messing up the JT65a QSO's
                  with Olivia.

                  And I will agree with your last remark. Olivia may be a tad S L O W
                  but when the gettin gets tough Olivia will succeed where other modes
                  will not. JT65a will do similar BUT JT65a is not for ragchewing.

                  Stan K9IUQ
                • lazysenior
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 12, 2007
                    <expeditionradio@...> wrote:

                    > JT65A users started camping on the Olivia 14076 freq a few months ago,
                    > and now you act like they own it :)

                    As every ham knows,(or should know) NO ham or group owns any
                    frequency. We all must try to cooperate and get along. Which can be
                    hard to do sometimes....

                    Stan K9IUQ
                  • lazysenior
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 12, 2007
                      --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Jon Maguire <w1mnk@...> wrote:

                      > Stan,
                      >
                      > To what do you attribute the decline of Olivia and the rise of JT65a?
                      > Thanks.
                      >
                      > 73... Jon W1MNK

                      I am not sure why Olivia activity seems to be falling off but there is
                      not as much activity as there was 1-2 years ago.

                      JT65a is popular right now on HF because it is the new mode of the
                      month on HF. It got written up in QST recently and people want to try
                      it. For me the allure was trying to figure out the WSJT software and
                      getting everything to work. After a while JT65a activity will fade. It
                      is NOT a ragchew mode. And as Bonnie said in a different post, one
                      gets tired of just signal reports after a while.

                      Stan K9IUQ
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 13, 2007
                        Hi All,

                        What's all the fuss about operating in channels on HF? For courtesy
                        purposes 14.070 to 14.072 is used for B(Q)PSK31. Above that up to 14.099
                        (leave a bit free for the beacons) should be a free for all digimides
                        with < 500 Hz bandwidth. If you hear a QSO in progress QSY a bit up or
                        down, just as you would for phone. And there are websites to arrange
                        skeds. The lower bandwidth Olivia modes are way underutilized. For
                        instance with Olivia 8/250 you can use a 250 Hz CW filter, cutting a lot
                        of rubbish out! And it can happily go wherever MFSK16 is used in the
                        bands (but of course not on top of it!). It should also convince the
                        MFSK16 fans of its superiority! And I dare say there is not much
                        difference (if any) in sensitivity between 8/250 and 16/500.

                        --
                        73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis
                      • Vilnis Vosekalns
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 13, 2007
                          Sveiks Valdi ,

                          labi pateikts, yenkies mazliet pardigitalizejusies.... ;-)
                          Starp citu , eiropiesi nodibinajusi Olivia clubu , varbut palaidi
                          garam Arnolda /YL2CA e-mailu viena no reflektoriem.
                          http://www.oliviamodesclub.net/index.php
                          Nezin, nezin, bet varbut vienu bridi tas pacels aktivitati.

                          73

                          Vilnis / YL2KF
                        • Vilnis Vosekalns
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 13, 2007
                            Hell to all ,

                            it was planed to Valdis direct :
                            no secrets :
                            briefly - a little but overdigitalized point of view by Americans but
                            bdw is a new Olivia club started by Europeans, if You missed e-mail
                            from Arnolds / YL2CA http://www.oliviamodesclub.net/index.php
                            Well, well, maybe for some short time pick up activity too.

                            Sorry , but it happens if using a lot of e-mail accounts... ;-0)