New member

  • John
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
      I have used Olivia once and liked it and would like more QSO's using
      it on different bands, etc.

      Anyone needing US or Kentucky just shoot me an email and we can set up
      a sked.

      John
      K4OP
    • Andrew O'Brien

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 4, 2007
          --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnmccarthy@...> wrote:

          > I have used Olivia once and liked it and would like more QSO's using
          > it on different bands, etc.
          >
          > Anyone needing US or Kentucky just shoot me an email and we can set up
          > a sked.
          >
          > John
          > K4OP

          Hi John:
          I was chased away from the 14076,4 Olivia frequency by guys using JT65a
          ..have been listening very ofte but seldom hear an Olivia QSO.
          On 14106.5, I have contacted EU and SA during the evneing hours on
          Olivia 1000/32.
          Have a fine weekend
          José PJ2MI
        • Jon Maguire
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 5, 2007
            This is from the Multipsk help page http://f1ult.free.fr/DIGIMODES/MULTIPSK/olivia_en.htm Let's use Andy's K3UK digital sked page http://www.obriensweb.com/drsked/drsked.php to get some Olivia action going. I've never made a contact on that mode and would like to very much.

            Recommanded frequencies for OLIVIA (USB)
            With an AF frequency of 1000 Hz, frequency displayed on the transceiver:

            7038,5, 14104,5, 14105,5, 14106,5, 14107,5, 14108,5 (call frequency), 18102,5, 18103,5, 18104,5, 21129,5 KHz

            See DK4ZC text : Commands and use of the Olivia modes in Help file of MULTIPSK

            Hi John:
            I was chased away from the 14076,4 Olivia frequency by guys using JT65a
            ..have been listening very ofte but seldom hear an Olivia QSO.
            On 14106.5, I have contacted EU and SA during the evneing hours on
            Olivia 1000/32.
            Have a fine weekend
            José PJ2MI

          • expeditionradio
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 7, 2007
              Hi José,

              Do not let them chase you away!
              JT65A and Olivia 16/500 are happy together!

              This has been the Olivia 16/500 frequency before JT65A
              started on 20 meters.
              14076.4kHz is the signal center frequency for Olivia 16/500,
              (not VFO freq).

              See the image, click here:
              http://hflink.com/olivia/olivia500_16_20meters.jpg

              Olivia does not interfere with JT65A on 14076 VFO frequency.
              Normal Olivia signal is 14076.15 to 14076.65 kHz.
              Normal JT65A signal is at 14077.27 to 14077.8 kHz.

              Bonnie KQ6XA

              > I was chased away from the 14076,4 Olivia frequency by guys using JT65a
              > ..have been listening very ofte but seldom hear an Olivia QSO.
              > On 14106.5, I have contacted EU and SA during the evneing hours on
              > Olivia 1000/32.
              > Have a fine weekend
              > José PJ2MI

            • Jossy
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 7, 2007

                Hi Bonnie:

                Thanks will be there again…for the first time in months 14106.5 has been busy..but due the propagation only EU stations not a single USA. Time from 2000 to 2300UTC

                73’s

                José

                Peace be with you!

                José [Jossy]

                JT65A and Olivia 16/500 are happy together!

                This has been the Olivia 16/500 frequency before JT65A
                started on 20 meters.
                14076.4kHz is the signal center frequency for Olivia 16/500,
                (not VFO freq).

                See the image, click here:
                http://hflink.com/olivia/olivia500_16_20meters.jpg

                Olivia does not interfere with JT65A on 14076 VFO frequency.
                Normal Olivia signal is 14076.15 to 14076.65 kHz.
                Normal JT65A signal is at 14077.27 to 14077.8 kHz.

                Bonnie KQ6XA

                > I was chased away from the 14076,4 Olivia frequency by guys using JT65a
                > ..have been listening very ofte but seldom hear an Olivia QSO.
                > On 14106.5, I have contacted EU and SA during the evneing hours on
                > Olivia 1000/32.
                > Have a fine weekend
                > José PJ2MI

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.

              • lazysenior
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 11, 2007
                  --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "expeditionradio"
                  <expeditionradio@...> wrote:

                  > This has been the Olivia 16/500 frequency before JT65A
                  > started on 20 meters.
                  > 14076.4kHz is the signal center frequency for Olivia 16/500,
                  > (not VFO freq).
                  >

                  > Olivia does not interfere with JT65A on 14076 VFO frequency.
                  > Normal Olivia signal is 14076.15 to 14076.65 kHz.
                  > Normal JT65A signal is at 14077.27 to 14077.8 kHz.
                  >
                  > Bonnie KQ6XA

                  HUH? having been an Op who has used Olivia since it first came out,
                  this is news to me. I also have been using JT65a for a month. NEVER
                  have I heard Olivia on these freqs. RTTY yes. Hellscriber yes. MFSK
                  yes. CW yes. OLIVIA NEVER.

                  Also not everyone uses 14.076 as a JT65a freq. Many JT65a are up or
                  down 300-500hz from 14076 vfo freq.

                  All the many contacts I have ever made on 20 mtr Olivia were on
                  14.105 to 14.110.

                  Stan K9IUQ
                • lazysenior
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 11, 2007
                    --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "lazysenior" <lazysenior@...> wrote:

                    > --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, "expeditionradio"
                    > <expeditionradio@> wrote:
                    >
                    > > This has been the Olivia 16/500 frequency before JT65A
                    > > started on 20 meters.
                    > > 14076.4kHz is the signal center frequency for Olivia 16/500,
                    > > (not VFO freq).
                    > >

                    > > Olivia does not interfere with JT65A on 14076 VFO frequency.
                    > > Normal Olivia signal is 14076.15 to 14076.65 kHz.
                    > > Normal JT65A signal is at 14077.27 to 14077.8 kHz.
                    > >
                    > > Bonnie KQ6XA

                    > OLIVIA NEVER

                    And no sooner do I write that I check out (2115Z) 14076 mhz. And find
                    a 500hz Olivia station which has his gain so high he is actually
                    1200hz wide. Even a properly setup 500hz Olivia on 14076 will not make
                    the JT65a fellows happy.

                    Olivia does not interfere with Jt65a on 14076? NOT.

                    No wonder the JT65a guys were upset.....

                    Personally I have seen a fall off of Olivia activity the last year or
                    so. I suspect it is going to go the way of Amtor. The chances of
                    actually making a contact on Olivia are better on 14105 -14110 where
                    both 500hz and 1000hz are used.

                    Stan K9IUQ
                  • John Becker
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 11, 2007
                      Stan
                      Amtor is a long way from being dead.
                      I only use RTTY Pactor and Amtor and have never gone
                      QRT for the evening without a amtor or pactor QSO

                      John

                      >Personally I have seen a fall off of Olivia activity the last year or
                      >so. I suspect it is going to go the way of Amtor. The chances of
                      >actually making a contact on Olivia are better on 14105 -14110 where
                      >both 500hz and 1000hz are used.
                      >
                      >Stan K9IUQ

                      >--
                      >CQ Frequency Olivia 500/16 = 14076.4kHz (center)

                      >.
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Jon Maguire

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 11, 2007
                          > HUH? having been an Op who has used Olivia since it first came out,
                          > this is news to me.
                          > All the many contacts I have ever made on 20 mtr Olivia were on
                          > 14.105 to 14.110.
                          >
                          > Stan K9IUQ

                          Hi Stan,

                          You have obviously missed a lot of Olivia QSOs around 14075-14079.
                          Perhaps that is why you think it is going away.
                          I assure you, it is alive and well, there isn't anything else out
                          there that does what it does.

                          Bonnie KQ6XA
                        • expeditionradio
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 11, 2007
                            > Stan K9IUQ wrote:
                            > Olivia does not interfere with Jt65a on 14076? NOT.
                            > The chances of actually making a contact on Olivia are
                            > better on 14105 -14110 where both 500hz and 1000hz are used.

                            It is mainly 32 tone 1000Hz BW at 14106.5-14108.5 VFO freq.
                            It is mainly 16 tone 500Hz BW at 14075-14078 VFO freq.

                            JT65A users started camping on the Olivia 14076 freq a few months ago,
                            and now you act like they own it :)

                            Anyway, Olivia and JT65A fit together very well in the same area of
                            the band, since they are both excellent weak signal modes. You can
                            open a "QSO in a can" with JT65A, then switch to a "real QSO" with
                            Olivia 16/500 on the same VFO frequency.

                            The biggest problem with Olivia operation at 14106-14108 is that it is
                            the middle of the International automatic sub-band (14101-14112).
                            There is no need for Olivia ops to fight with automatic stations
                            there. The auto stations have only a little 11kHz subband to operate in.

                            I enjoy all digital modes, and I work both JT65A and Olivia. But
                            personally, I must say that I don't find as much enjoyment with JT65A
                            as I do with Olivia. Perhaps, there isn't quite so much excitement for
                            me in just a signal report any more... I get hundreds of signal
                            reports every day on ALE...

                            73 Bonnie KQ6XA
                          • lazysenior
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 12, 2007
                              <expeditionradio@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Stan,
                              >
                              > You have obviously missed a lot of Olivia QSOs around 14075-14079.
                              > Perhaps that is why you think it is going away.
                              > I assure you, it is alive and well, there isn't anything else out
                              > there that does what it does.
                              >
                              > Bonnie KQ6XA

                              Bonnie, I think you may be right, I have never listened for Olivia in
                              that portion of the band.However operating in 14.075 to 14076 will not
                              win one friends with the JT65a group.Since I operate both Jt65a and
                              Olivia I dont think I would be comfortable messing up the JT65a QSO's
                              with Olivia.

                              And I will agree with your last remark. Olivia may be a tad S L O W
                              but when the gettin gets tough Olivia will succeed where other modes
                              will not. JT65a will do similar BUT JT65a is not for ragchewing.

                              Stan K9IUQ
                            • lazysenior
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 12, 2007
                                <expeditionradio@...> wrote:

                                > JT65A users started camping on the Olivia 14076 freq a few months ago,
                                > and now you act like they own it :)

                                As every ham knows,(or should know) NO ham or group owns any
                                frequency. We all must try to cooperate and get along. Which can be
                                hard to do sometimes....

                                Stan K9IUQ
                              • lazysenior
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 12, 2007
                                  --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Jon Maguire <w1mnk@...> wrote:

                                  > Stan,
                                  >
                                  > To what do you attribute the decline of Olivia and the rise of JT65a?
                                  > Thanks.
                                  >
                                  > 73... Jon W1MNK

                                  I am not sure why Olivia activity seems to be falling off but there is
                                  not as much activity as there was 1-2 years ago.

                                  JT65a is popular right now on HF because it is the new mode of the
                                  month on HF. It got written up in QST recently and people want to try
                                  it. For me the allure was trying to figure out the WSJT software and
                                  getting everything to work. After a while JT65a activity will fade. It
                                  is NOT a ragchew mode. And as Bonnie said in a different post, one
                                  gets tired of just signal reports after a while.

                                  Stan K9IUQ
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 13, 2007
                                    Hi All,

                                    What's all the fuss about operating in channels on HF? For courtesy
                                    purposes 14.070 to 14.072 is used for B(Q)PSK31. Above that up to 14.099
                                    (leave a bit free for the beacons) should be a free for all digimides
                                    with < 500 Hz bandwidth. If you hear a QSO in progress QSY a bit up or
                                    down, just as you would for phone. And there are websites to arrange
                                    skeds. The lower bandwidth Olivia modes are way underutilized. For
                                    instance with Olivia 8/250 you can use a 250 Hz CW filter, cutting a lot
                                    of rubbish out! And it can happily go wherever MFSK16 is used in the
                                    bands (but of course not on top of it!). It should also convince the
                                    MFSK16 fans of its superiority! And I dare say there is not much
                                    difference (if any) in sensitivity between 8/250 and 16/500.

                                    --
                                    73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis
                                  • Vilnis Vosekalns
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 13, 2007
                                      Sveiks Valdi ,

                                      labi pateikts, yenkies mazliet pardigitalizejusies.... ;-)
                                      Starp citu , eiropiesi nodibinajusi Olivia clubu , varbut palaidi
                                      garam Arnolda /YL2CA e-mailu viena no reflektoriem.
                                      http://www.oliviamodesclub.net/index.php
                                      Nezin, nezin, bet varbut vienu bridi tas pacels aktivitati.

                                      73

                                      Vilnis / YL2KF
                                    • Vilnis Vosekalns
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 13, 2007
                                        Hell to all ,

                                        it was planed to Valdis direct :
                                        no secrets :
                                        briefly - a little but overdigitalized point of view by Americans but
                                        bdw is a new Olivia club started by Europeans, if You missed e-mail
                                        from Arnolds / YL2CA http://www.oliviamodesclub.net/index.php
                                        Well, well, maybe for some short time pick up activity too.

                                        Sorry , but it happens if using a lot of e-mail accounts... ;-0)