Re: [olivia] Olivia QSO

  • k4cfs@knology.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 4, 2007
      On Wed Jul 4 11:39 , 'k4cfs@...' <k4cfs@...> sent:

      > If you know any software for Olivia that is free please tell me the name of it or the web page so i can download it, but i am at home and am going to call CQ on Olivia and see if i can get any responce, thanks Craig K9TEN
      >

      >On Wed Jul 4 6:31 , Waldis Jirgens <waldis@...> sent:

      >> Hi All,
      >

      >>Why pay money for software? There are great digital modes programs out
      >

      >>there that the authors provide for free! Just like Windows and Linux -
      >

      >>if you have to pay for something, it doesn't mean you get a better product!
      >

      >>Today I again was on 20m between 0400 and 0500 - all very quiet except
      >

      >>for some BPSK31 stns from the states.
      >

      >>Between 0500 and 0530 I had a long ragchew with DJ2UK on 30m in Olivia
      >

      >>8/250. Seems this band is better for DX these days.
      >

      >>k4cfs@... wrote:

      >>> I am in Harvest, AL just north of Huntsville AL, I have the software up
      >

      >>> and running but have not had a chance to see if everything is working
      >

      >>> ok, I am using the same interface that works great for Ham Radio Deluxe
      >

      >>> 780 (BPSK31) . I am off the whole day and night July 4th, would love to
      >

      >>> make any contact with someone to first see the trial software work
      >

      >>> before I lay down cash for the software. Anyone wanting to try it out
      >

      >>> email me at my qrz.com email address and we can hook up, thanks Craig
      >

      >>> K9TEN k9ten@... <mailto:k9ten%40arrl.net>
      >

      >>--
      >

      >>73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis

    • Claudio Ruben
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 4, 2007
        HI: Today 4th july at 19:23 z in 14107 i contact  ja1por, rst 599.
        QAP QRV always near 1800 z from Argentina.

        Claudio-LU2VCD

        2007/7/4, k4cfs@... <k4cfs@...>:

        On Wed Jul 4 11:39 , 'k4cfs@...' < k4cfs@...> sent:

        > If you know any software for Olivia that is free please tell me the name of it or the web page so i can download it, but i am at home and am going to call CQ on Olivia and see if i can get any responce, thanks Craig K9TEN
        >

        >On Wed Jul 4 6:31 , Waldis Jirgens <waldis@...> sent:

        >> Hi All,
        >

        >>Why pay money for software? There are great digital modes programs out
        >

        >>there that the authors provide for free! Just like Windows and Linux -
        >

        >>if you have to pay for something, it doesn't mean you get a better product!
        >

        >>Today I again was on 20m between 0400 and 0500 - all very quiet except
        >

        >>for some BPSK31 stns from the states.
        >

        >>Between 0500 and 0530 I had a long ragchew with DJ2UK on 30m in Olivia
        >

        >>8/250. Seems this band is better for DX these days.
        >

        >> k4cfs@... wrote:

        >>> I am in Harvest, AL just north of Huntsville AL, I have the software up
        >

        >>> and running but have not had a chance to see if everything is working
        >

        >>> ok, I am using the same interface that works great for Ham Radio Deluxe
        >

        >>> 780 (BPSK31) . I am off the whole day and night July 4th, would love to
        >

        >>> make any contact with someone to first see the trial software work
        >

        >>> before I lay down cash for the software. Anyone wanting to try it out
        >

        >>> email me at my qrz.com email address and we can hook up, thanks Craig
        >

        >>> K9TEN k9ten@... <mailto:k9ten% 40arrl.net>
        >

        >>--
        >

        >>73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis

      • dl8le
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 4, 2007
          Try Multipsk. Then you will not have Olivia only but a very large
          number of digital modes. The website for download is

          http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm

          or one of the mirror sites.

          If you download and install Commander, part of the DXLab program
          suite (see www.dxlabsuite.com) you can control your transceiver via
          a CAT interface as well. DXLab has a couple of other excellent
          program features but just look yourself. If you have any question
          please don't hesitate to contact me either direct or via this
          reflector.

          73, GL

          Juergen, DL8LE

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 6, 2007
            ciao fred and thanks for the report: are you sure it was on 30 mt ? i called many times in 20 mt but i don't remember to have placed calls also on 30. anyway, i will keep trying at the same time on 20 mt as i have a two elements that i can turn according to needs.
            73, massimo

            Carol & Fred Darrah <cfdarrah@...> ha scritto:
            Hello Massimo,
            I did copy you around 0400 on 30 meters. I called but no response.
            Conditions not good in US .
            73 Fred  N9GUE

          • Carol & Fred Darrah
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 6, 2007
              Greetings Massimo,
              Sorry finger hit wrong key. It was 20 meters. Copy was about 80 % . AT 0230 today had 20 minute QSO with Brian ZL4AD in MFSK16 on 20 meters. Lasted for 20 minutes. If in Olivia could have had longer QSO.
              CUL on bands 73 Fred  N9GUE
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 9, 2007
                Hi Craig,

                We had this topic just a while ago. To re-cap:

                Windows:

                Multipsk v 4.3.1 is freeware. It runs Olivia (5 different modes),
                BPSK31, QPSK31, CW, CCW, RTTY, AMTOR FEC, PACTOR1 FEC, Feld Hell, PSK
                Hell (245 Baud only), FM Hell, Hell 80, MT63, BPSK63, QPSK63, BPSK125,
                QPSK125, PSK63F, PSK220F, PSKFEC31, PSKAM50, 31, 10, Throb, Throbx,
                MFSK16 and MFSK8, ASCII, RTTY, HF Fax, Contestia, Chip 64 and 128.
                Domino and Domino EX) ands some other less known modes. It also allows
                you to listen to AMTOR ARQ and PACTOR ARQ. Dynamic SSTV reception and
                transmission (just like MixW) is also provided. A new feature is the
                possibility to identify the TX mode with a Reed-Solomon identifier at
                the start of each transmission, and also to lock on to transmitted RS
                identifiers (mode and QRG). A shareware version with enhanced
                functionality is available too.
                URL to download: f6cte.free.fr/

                More complicated and less user-friendly is the following: Download
                OliviaAidsetup.zip and unzip it, then install Cygwin etc. This works
                under XP and 2000. However under ME it does NOT work properly.
                I don't know if it will run under Vista!
                URL to download: homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/jalocha/mfsk_trx.html

                Linux / Free BSD:

                Fldigi - freeware - can do BPSK31, QPSK31, BPSK63, QPSK63, BPSK125,
                QPSK125, Feld Hell, FSK Hell, FSK Hell 105, MFSK16 (including picture
                transfer), MFSK8, RTTY (all kinds of baud rates and offsets), Olivia
                (various modes), DominoEX (various modes), THROB and THROBX (1, 2, 4
                Throbs/sec), CW and WWV (for soundcard calibration). It runs under
                LINUX. I have tested it with OpenSuse 10.2.
                URL to download: http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html

                gMFSK.hkj V53 - freeware - can do BPSK31, QPSK31, BPSK63, QPSK63, Feld
                Hell, FM Hell, MFSK16, MFSK8, RTTY (all kinds of baud rates and
                offsets), MT63, Olivia (various modes), DominoEX (various modes), THROB
                (various modes) and CW. I have tested it with Mandrake 9.1 and OpenSuse
                10.2.
                URL to download the source archive: http://www.w1hkj.com/#gmfsk.

                --
                73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis
              • jhaynesatalumni
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 9, 2007
                  Also might mention on the www.w1hkj.com web site there is
                  an iso image Digipup, which is a Live CD of Puppy Linux
                  that includes fldigi and some other useful ham radio stuff.
                  This is for people who don't run Linux but would like to
                  try out the software - a "Live CD" is one that runs Linux
                  off the CD ROM and doesn't scribble on your hard drive.