Olivia QSO

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 3, 2007
      hi all,
      today (4th july) at 04.00 utc i tried several times at 14.073 in olivia, starting with 8/250 and continuing 16/500 and 32/1000 but nothing. my antenna was beaming to west, so also usa: did anybody see my calls ?
      ciao, 73 from massimo iz0gkz and happy 4th of july

      Waldis Jirgens <waldis@...> ha scritto:
      Hi Sid,

      14.07565 might not be the best frequency to be on in Olivia. It
      interferes with the JT65A traffic. Try going a bit lower than that. I
      hope to come up today at 0400 around 14.073 (+ offset, so MixW would
      probably say 14.07365 all of course +-QRM) in Olivia 8/250.
      Alternatively try 14.1065, 75, 85 in 32/1000.

      As you correctly say, QSOs are few and far in between. But if you have a
      contact it's well worth it. The mode is FAR better than BPSK31, which
      for some irrational reason has become the standard digimode!

      --
      73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage. netscape. com/ilgonis

    • k4cfs@knology.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 4, 2007
        I am in Harvest, AL just north of Huntsville AL, I have the software up and running but have not had a chance to see if everything is working ok, I am using the same interface that works great for Ham Radio Deluxe 780 (BPSK31) . I am off the whole day and night July 4th, would love to make any contact with someone to first see the trial software work before I lay down cash for the software. Anyone wanting to try it out email me at my qrz.com email address and we can hook up, thanks Craig K9TEN k9ten@...

        On Mon Jul 2 21:17 , Irvine N5UNB <ieread@...> sent:

        > Hi Sid,
        >
        > I am located a few hundred miles north of you, in Winnsboro TX.
        >
        >Waldis' suggested freqs around 14.1065 etc work well in around here
        >
        >in the mid morning for qsos in the US and Caribbean.
        >
        > In past winters I have had many qsos on 160m with a "ham neighbour"
        >
        >of yours. W5CRN. Joe is listed in qrz.com as zipcode 77386, so if you
        >
        >could locate
        >
        >him I am sure he would be happy to get you started with a crosstown
        >
        >contact-hi.
        >
        > I am receiving Waldis' test transmissions around 14074 each nite
        >
        >with 90%
        >
        >copy here in North East Texas, using 8 tones/250hz. Fred, N9GUE, in
        >
        >Illinois, had
        >
        >a qso with Waldis. 8T/250h is very promising as a DX mode. Last winter
        >
        >the EU
        >
        >hams tested 8T/250 on 160m, and it was readable here though poor copy.
        >
        > As propagation improves in the next cycle and the bands get crowded
        >
        >again,
        >
        >narrow band Olivia may become popular for DX.
        >

        >Waldis Jirgens wrote:
        >
        >> Hi Sid,
        >

        >> 14.07565 might not be the best frequency to be on in Olivia. It
        >
        >> interferes with the JT65A traffic. Try going a bit lower than that. I
        >
        >> hope to come up today at 0400 around 14.073 (+ offset, so MixW would
        >
        >> probably say 14.07365 all of course +-QRM) in Olivia 8/250.
        >
        >> Alternatively try 14.1065, 75, 85 in 32/1000.
        >

        >> As you correctly say, QSOs are few and far in between. But if you have a
        >
        >> contact it's well worth it. The mode is FAR better than BPSK31, which
        >
        >> for some irrational reason has become the standard digimode!

      • Simon Brown
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 4, 2007
          Hi Craig,

          Olivia is working in DM780 (Part of HRD) but not yet available, planned for
          August with any luck.

          Simon Brown, HB9DRV

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 4, 2007
            Hi All,

            Why pay money for software? There are great digital modes programs out
            there that the authors provide for free! Just like Windows and Linux -
            if you have to pay for something, it doesn't mean you get a better product!

            Today I again was on 20m between 0400 and 0500 - all very quiet except
            for some BPSK31 stns from the states.

            Between 0500 and 0530 I had a long ragchew with DJ2UK on 30m in Olivia
            8/250. Seems this band is better for DX these days.

            --
            73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis
          • Carol & Fred Darrah
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 4, 2007
              Hello Massimo,
              I did copy you around 0400 on 30 meters. I called but no response.
              Conditions not good in US .
              73 Fred  N9GUE
            • k4cfs@knology.net
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 4, 2007
                If you know any software for Olivia that is free please tell me the name of it or the web page so i can download it, but i am at home and am going to call CQ on Olivia and see if i can get any responce, thanks Craig K9TEN

                On Wed Jul 4 6:31 , Waldis Jirgens <waldis@...> sent:

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 4, 2007
                  On Wed Jul 4 11:39 , 'k4cfs@...' <k4cfs@...> sent:

                  > If you know any software for Olivia that is free please tell me the name of it or the web page so i can download it, but i am at home and am going to call CQ on Olivia and see if i can get any responce, thanks Craig K9TEN
                  >

                  >On Wed Jul 4 6:31 , Waldis Jirgens <waldis@...> sent:

                  >> Hi All,
                  >

                  >>Why pay money for software? There are great digital modes programs out
                  >

                  >>there that the authors provide for free! Just like Windows and Linux -
                  >

                  >>if you have to pay for something, it doesn't mean you get a better product!
                  >

                  >>Today I again was on 20m between 0400 and 0500 - all very quiet except
                  >

                  >>for some BPSK31 stns from the states.
                  >

                  >>Between 0500 and 0530 I had a long ragchew with DJ2UK on 30m in Olivia
                  >

                  >>8/250. Seems this band is better for DX these days.
                  >

                  >>k4cfs@... wrote:

                  >>> I am in Harvest, AL just north of Huntsville AL, I have the software up
                  >

                  >>> and running but have not had a chance to see if everything is working
                  >

                  >>> ok, I am using the same interface that works great for Ham Radio Deluxe
                  >

                  >>> 780 (BPSK31) . I am off the whole day and night July 4th, would love to
                  >

                  >>> make any contact with someone to first see the trial software work
                  >

                  >>> before I lay down cash for the software. Anyone wanting to try it out
                  >

                  >>> email me at my qrz.com email address and we can hook up, thanks Craig
                  >

                  >>> K9TEN k9ten@... <mailto:k9ten%40arrl.net>
                  >

                  >>--
                  >

                  >>73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis

                • Claudio Ruben
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 4, 2007
                    HI: Today 4th july at 19:23 z in 14107 i contact  ja1por, rst 599.
                    QAP QRV always near 1800 z from Argentina.

                    Claudio-LU2VCD

                    2007/7/4, k4cfs@... <k4cfs@...>:

                    On Wed Jul 4 11:39 , 'k4cfs@...' < k4cfs@...> sent:

                    > If you know any software for Olivia that is free please tell me the name of it or the web page so i can download it, but i am at home and am going to call CQ on Olivia and see if i can get any responce, thanks Craig K9TEN
                    >

                    >On Wed Jul 4 6:31 , Waldis Jirgens <waldis@...> sent:

                    >> Hi All,
                    >

                    >>Why pay money for software? There are great digital modes programs out
                    >

                    >>there that the authors provide for free! Just like Windows and Linux -
                    >

                    >>if you have to pay for something, it doesn't mean you get a better product!
                    >

                    >>Today I again was on 20m between 0400 and 0500 - all very quiet except
                    >

                    >>for some BPSK31 stns from the states.
                    >

                    >>Between 0500 and 0530 I had a long ragchew with DJ2UK on 30m in Olivia
                    >

                    >>8/250. Seems this band is better for DX these days.
                    >

                    >> k4cfs@... wrote:

                    >>> I am in Harvest, AL just north of Huntsville AL, I have the software up
                    >

                    >>> and running but have not had a chance to see if everything is working
                    >

                    >>> ok, I am using the same interface that works great for Ham Radio Deluxe
                    >

                    >>> 780 (BPSK31) . I am off the whole day and night July 4th, would love to
                    >

                    >>> make any contact with someone to first see the trial software work
                    >

                    >>> before I lay down cash for the software. Anyone wanting to try it out
                    >

                    >>> email me at my qrz.com email address and we can hook up, thanks Craig
                    >

                    >>> K9TEN k9ten@... <mailto:k9ten% 40arrl.net>
                    >

                    >>--
                    >

                    >>73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis

                  • dl8le
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 4, 2007
                      Try Multipsk. Then you will not have Olivia only but a very large
                      number of digital modes. The website for download is

                      http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm

                      or one of the mirror sites.

                      If you download and install Commander, part of the DXLab program
                      suite (see www.dxlabsuite.com) you can control your transceiver via
                      a CAT interface as well. DXLab has a couple of other excellent
                      program features but just look yourself. If you have any question
                      please don't hesitate to contact me either direct or via this
                      reflector.

                      73, GL

                      Juergen, DL8LE

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 6, 2007
                          Greetings Massimo,
                          Sorry finger hit wrong key. It was 20 meters. Copy was about 80 % . AT 0230 today had 20 minute QSO with Brian ZL4AD in MFSK16 on 20 meters. Lasted for 20 minutes. If in Olivia could have had longer QSO.
                          CUL on bands 73 Fred  N9GUE
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 9, 2007
                            Hi Craig,

                            We had this topic just a while ago. To re-cap:

                            Windows:

                            Multipsk v 4.3.1 is freeware. It runs Olivia (5 different modes),
                            BPSK31, QPSK31, CW, CCW, RTTY, AMTOR FEC, PACTOR1 FEC, Feld Hell, PSK
                            Hell (245 Baud only), FM Hell, Hell 80, MT63, BPSK63, QPSK63, BPSK125,
                            QPSK125, PSK63F, PSK220F, PSKFEC31, PSKAM50, 31, 10, Throb, Throbx,
                            MFSK16 and MFSK8, ASCII, RTTY, HF Fax, Contestia, Chip 64 and 128.
                            Domino and Domino EX) ands some other less known modes. It also allows
                            you to listen to AMTOR ARQ and PACTOR ARQ. Dynamic SSTV reception and
                            transmission (just like MixW) is also provided. A new feature is the
                            possibility to identify the TX mode with a Reed-Solomon identifier at
                            the start of each transmission, and also to lock on to transmitted RS
                            identifiers (mode and QRG). A shareware version with enhanced
                            functionality is available too.
                            URL to download: f6cte.free.fr/

                            More complicated and less user-friendly is the following: Download
                            OliviaAidsetup.zip and unzip it, then install Cygwin etc. This works
                            under XP and 2000. However under ME it does NOT work properly.
                            I don't know if it will run under Vista!
                            URL to download: homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/jalocha/mfsk_trx.html

                            Linux / Free BSD:

                            Fldigi - freeware - can do BPSK31, QPSK31, BPSK63, QPSK63, BPSK125,
                            QPSK125, Feld Hell, FSK Hell, FSK Hell 105, MFSK16 (including picture
                            transfer), MFSK8, RTTY (all kinds of baud rates and offsets), Olivia
                            (various modes), DominoEX (various modes), THROB and THROBX (1, 2, 4
                            Throbs/sec), CW and WWV (for soundcard calibration). It runs under
                            LINUX. I have tested it with OpenSuse 10.2.
                            URL to download: http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html

                            gMFSK.hkj V53 - freeware - can do BPSK31, QPSK31, BPSK63, QPSK63, Feld
                            Hell, FM Hell, MFSK16, MFSK8, RTTY (all kinds of baud rates and
                            offsets), MT63, Olivia (various modes), DominoEX (various modes), THROB
                            (various modes) and CW. I have tested it with Mandrake 9.1 and OpenSuse
                            10.2.
                            URL to download the source archive: http://www.w1hkj.com/#gmfsk.

                            --
                            73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis
                          • jhaynesatalumni
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 9, 2007
                              Also might mention on the www.w1hkj.com web site there is
                              an iso image Digipup, which is a Live CD of Puppy Linux
                              that includes fldigi and some other useful ham radio stuff.
                              This is for people who don't run Linux but would like to
                              try out the software - a "Live CD" is one that runs Linux
                              off the CD ROM and doesn't scribble on your hard drive.