Re: [olivia] JT65A, Olivia, PSK31 and CW

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 28, 2007
      Hi Fred,

      Thanks for the Olivia QSO on 20m today! It was not 100% error free, but
      very reasonable. CONDX today seemed particularly poor, so unfortunately
      I didn't hear N5UNB.

      I later wkd W6SZ in JT65A. This could have been a ragchew in Olivia,
      with signal levels at -9 and -10. Olivia 8/250 is good to around -14 dB
      (if you like guessing make that -16), so most of the contacts you
      mention could have been done in Olivia. Well we have winter here, so
      minimal QRN, it might be more difficult in the northern hemisphere!

      Will try to be QRV again tomorrow from 0400.

      --
      73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis
    • Carol & Fred Darrah
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 29, 2007
        Hello Waldis,
        Tnx for very good QSO on 20 meters. You were 95% copy. Very good for the conditions. I think you have made a believer out of me. Olivia is my  favorite mode as copy is always good and you do not need to get settings perfect. Tnx see you on the bands,
        73 Fred  N9GUE
      • John Wiener
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 30, 2007
          Any new software for digital modes in Mac? So far I can PSK but
          would love to try Olivia. I love my Cocoamodem and DXLogger. Any
          Ideas?

          Thanks

          John
          AB8O
        • Andrew O'Brien
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 30, 2007
            Fred,

            Just FYI...I gave a demo of Olivia (and JT65A) on Field Day.  If my memory serves me right, your call was the station we were copying for the demo.

            Andy K3UK

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
              if not still sleeping (....) i will try time by time at 04.00 utc between 14.072 and 14.075 on olivia 8/250 and may be after we could change to 16/500. ciao to all, massimo iz0gkz

              Waldis Jirgens <waldis@...> ha scritto:
              Hi All,

              In the last few days I have observed a few JT65A signals from the US
              (starting from about 0400 UTC) around 14.076. The field strengths are
              mostly enough to conduct a CW QSO (often one hears first the CW-ID
              before JT65A gets a sync). A bit lower down there are some BPSK31
              stations coming in with lots of misprints (well it's a poor DX mode
              after all!).

              What about some Olivia 8/250 activity between 14.072 and 14.075? I will
              try to come up there in the next few days from around 0400 UTC to
              conduct some non-rudimentary (unlike JT65A) and error-free (unlike
              BPSK31) QSOs - if I find some people to talk to ;-)

              --
              73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage. netscape. com/ilgonis

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
                Hi Massimo and others,

                Not much activity on Olivia over the last few days on 20m, not even on
                the traditional frequencies 14.1065 ff. I managed only 2 QSOs, the
                second one being a very long ragchew with a ZL station (a local for our
                conditions here down under). I worked also 2 stations on JT65A and heard
                a few on BPSK31. I will persevere with Olivia 8/250 (well once a contact
                is established we can switch to any other mode) until Wednesday, then
                I'm off for a short holiday.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
                  Hi John,

                  Not sure if you want to go down this path, but you could install LINUX
                  on your Mac, may be even in dual-boot mode. See for instance
                  http://www.linux.com/articles/54973
                  which explicitely describes the procedure fur Suse. Under that distro
                  there are 2 very good programs: fldigi and gMFSK who offer not only all
                  kinds of flavors of Olivia but most of the other digimodes as well.
                  As a logger application you can use xlog.

                  --
                  73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis