Free Olivia Software

  • KP4VP
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
      Does anyone have an URL which I can find free software for OLIVIA mode?

      Your help is appreciated.

      Sincerely,

      José - KP4VP
    • Chris Danis
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
        On 6/4/07, KP4VP <kp4vp@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone have an URL which I can find free software for OLIVIA mode?
        >
        > Your help is appreciated.

        Jose,

        What OS? And by free, do you mean 'free for binary download', or 'open source'?

        best,
        -chris N2YYZ
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
          Hi Jose,

          For Windows:
          1. Multipsk: http://f6cte.free.fr/
          2. The original Olivia (if you want to do it the hard way):
          http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/jalocha/mfsk_trx.html.

          For Linux and Free BSD:
          1. gMFSK.hkj: http://www.w1hkj.com/#gmfsk.
          Installation instructions are in:
          http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis/linuxo.htm#Dia
          2. Original Olivia: Download from
          http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/jalocha/mfsk_trx.html the file
          mfsk.trx.tgz, put it in $HOME/bin, unpack it with the command:
          tar -xvz mfsk_trx.tgz
          and run it with a simple script in a terminal.
          Requires ncurses.

          --
          73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis

          KP4VP wrote:

          > Does anyone have an URL which I can find free software for OLIVIA mode?
          >
          > Your help is appreciated.
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > José - KP4VP
        • Jose A. Amador
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
            You can download MultiPSK from http://f6cte.free.fr

            Some features (tools like scope or spectrum analyzer) require
            registration, but Olivia does not.

            73,

            Jose, CO2JA

            ---

            KP4VP wrote:

            > Does anyone have an URL which I can find free software for OLIVIA mode?
            >
            > Your help is appreciated.
            >
            > Sincerely,
            >
            > José - KP4VP

            Participe en Universidad 2008.
            11 al 15 de febrero del 2008.
            Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
            http://www.universidad2008.cu
          • Rick Kunath
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 5, 2007
              Waldis Jirgens wrote:

              > For Linux and Free BSD:
              > 1. gMFSK.hkj: http://www.w1hkj.com/#gmfsk.
              > Installation instructions are in:
              > http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis/linuxo.htm#Dia
              > 2. Original Olivia: Download from
              > http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/jalocha/mfsk_trx.html the file
              > mfsk.trx.tgz, put it in $HOME/bin, unpack it with the command:
              > tar -xvz mfsk_trx.tgz
              > and run it with a simple script in a terminal.
              > Requires ncurses.

              And the very best Linux multi-mode client out there, which includes
              Olivia among a lot of other modes is FLdigi.

              Available at www.w1hkj.com.

              Rick Kunath, k9ao
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 11, 2007
                Hi Rick and others,

                Thanks for letting me know about Fldigi. However after having installed
                and tested Fldigi, I still prefer gMFSK (which BTW does also most of the
                other modes that Fldigi can do) for the Olivia mode. Reasons:

                1. Fldigi cannot set the Olivia search margins, so for instance with
                Olivia 8/250 the margin is 31.2 Hz which is too low in some instances,
                gMFSK can set the margins.

                2. You cannot insert text in the write-ahead buffer (W1HKJ promises an
                upgrade at some later time), gMFSK can do it.

                3. You cannot copy the QSO text and paste it somewhere - especially nice
                if you want to send it to your QSO partner via E-mail. This is easy in
                gMFSK.

                4. No possibility to use "xlog" for logging QSO data automatically.
                gMFSK can do it.

                5. No button to release /dev/dsp.

                6. This is just cosmetic: I'd prefer to be able to set background
                colours for the RX and TX windows - not just having a white background.

                All in all Fldigi is nice, but "not yet quite there". Certainly all the
                source code for the above features is there in gMFSK, so may be in a
                future release Fldigi will be the way to go.

                --

                Rick Kunath wrote:

                > Waldis Jirgens wrote:
                > >
                > > For Linux and Free BSD:
                > > 1. gMFSK.hkj: http://www.w1hkj.com/#gmfsk. <http://www.w1hkj.com/#gmfsk.>
                > > Installation instructions are in:
                > > http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis/linuxo.htm#Dia
                > <http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis/linuxo.htm#Dia>
                > > 2. Original Olivia: Download from
                > > http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/jalocha/mfsk_trx.html
                > <http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/jalocha/mfsk_trx.html> the file
                > > mfsk.trx.tgz, put it in $HOME/bin, unpack it with the command:
                > > tar -xvz mfsk_trx.tgz
                > > and run it with a simple script in a terminal.
                > > Requires ncurses.
                >
                > And the very best Linux multi-mode client out there, which includes
                > Olivia among a lot of other modes is FLdigi.
                >
                > Available at www.w1hkj.com.
                >
                > Rick Kunath, k9ao
              • Tomi Manninen
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 12, 2007
                  Hi,

                  > Thanks for letting me know about Fldigi. However after having installed
                  > and tested Fldigi, I still prefer gMFSK (which BTW does also most of the
                  > other modes that Fldigi can do) for the Olivia mode. Reasons:

                  There is a simple reason why Fldigi shares a lot with gMFSK:

                  http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-1.34/Recognitions.html

                  W1HKJ has done a lot of good work with gMFSK and Fldigi.
                  Hopefully as soon as my personal life lets me have some time
                  to work with gMFSK, I will be able to backport some of the
                  goodies back to gMFSK... :)

                  --
                  Tomi Manninen / OH2BNS / KP20JF74KA03
                • jhaynesatalumni
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 13, 2007
                    --- In oliviadata@yahoogroups.com, Waldis Jirgens <waldis@...> wrote:
                    >However after having installed
                    > and tested Fldigi, I still prefer gMFSK (which BTW does also most of
                    the
                    > other modes that Fldigi can do) for the Olivia mode.

                    I'm using fldigi with xlog - not sure why it doesn't work for you.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 13, 2007
                      Hi All,

                      Yes it DOES work. Checked it out today - xlog gets the records alright.
                      Don't know what I did wrong before.