Testing Olivia 2000/64 on 40 meters

  • expeditionradio
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1 9:23 PM
      Tonight I just had a good Olivia QSO with John VE5MU and Andy K3UK.
      We were on the Digitalradio calling frequency 7034.0kHz USB with
      center audio at 1500Hz. This is center frequency 7035.5 kHz.

      We started on Olivia 500/16 which was very very good, considering the
      weak signal and my local noise level. When Andy joined our QSO, we
      wanted to increase typing speed so we switched to Olivia 500/8 and it
      still worked fine, although there were occasional dropouts during
      local static crashes.

      After Andy signed off, John and I continued the QSO, switching to
      Olivia 2000/64. We found it was an excellent flavor! Good fast typing
      speed, and better QRM and QRN resistance. I look forward to some more
      2kHz Olivia modes, and I want to try the 128 tone flavor.

      Bonnie KQ6XA
    • Carol & Fred Darrah
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2 6:09 AM
        Bonnie,
        Just a thought. Why use the wide modes on 40 meters as the band is already crowded.  I was asked one time to avoid the 7035 segment as the CW people thought I would attract others to those frequencies. I do use PSK 31 on those frequencies to answer a CQ DX call but do not call CQ .I realize all can use and what is legal to transmit can be used but If we all can be considerate of others we are a solution to problems not the problem. Just think how many QSO's can be conducted in 2000 hz using narrower modes. I have found that Olivia 250/8 tones does a very good job if you can take the slow speed. If more people would use 160 meters and 80 meters Olivia would get a good test under the most trying conditions. One of the modes that needs testing is PSK31 FEC . No one uses it and it could do much better than PSK31. I see no place for modes wider than 500hz on crowded bands. Just my opinion , sorry if I have offended in any way.
        Thanks Fred N9GUE

      • Neil Klagge
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2 8:03 AM

          Fred,

          I had the same thought as you when I read Bonnie's posting. I feel that wide modes need to be on SSB freqs or at least in the freqs just below SSB.

          I think the ARRL might be on the right track in proposing regulation by bandwidth rather than modes, altho' we still need a lot of discussion and research on that concept.

          Just my opinion.

          Neil in Utah

          From: Carol & Fred Darrah <cfdarrah@...>
          To: oliviadata@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [olivia] Testing Olivia 2000/64 on 40 meters
          Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 06:09:05 -0700 (PDT)

          Bonnie,

          Message 4 of 9 , May 3 2:25 AM
            Hi Fred,

            PSKFEC31 is a nice mode, but in comparison it to Olivia 8/250 it is
            inferior. Such is the quality of Olivia! A year or so ago, when 20m was
            still reliably open to Eu, I used PSKFEC31 and Olivia 8/250 on my
            regular skeds with a few DL stations. We quickly found out, that Olivia
            was the better mode. We hold our skeds now on 30m mostly in Olivia
            16/500 (Eu stations have a bandwith limit of 500 Hz on 30). IMHO 16/500
            is marginally better than 5/250.

            --
            73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis
          • Carol & Fred Darrah
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3 7:01 AM
              Hi Waldis,
              Thanks for your information. I have used Olivia to contact my friend Daniel HB9TPL on 80 meters and 40 meters. It is excellent but not under all conditions. Local lightning etc. As more people use PSK31 and many times DX copy is marginal it would be good to see if FEC could make a difference in copy. I use Olivia as much as possible and if you know the exact center frequency of your scheduled station partner,you will be able to have a QSO even under bad band conditions. The problem is finding anyone on in Europe because of the time differences. I think with the low propagation we have now, most have quit trying. I try to call CQ on 160 ,  80 and 40 each night at 0300 to 0500 UTC.  It is hard to find anyone up so early in the morning in Europe. Let us hope for better conditions.
              Thanks Fred N9GUE
            • Carol & Fred Darrah
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3 7:30 AM
                Hello again Waldis,
                You may like to check HB9TPL web site  www.hb9tpl.ch/4597.html   I also refigured the times and for VK  probably 0700 to 0800 would be better time for Propagation to VK ??
                Fred N9GUE
                Message 7 of 9 , May 4 3:39 AM
                  Hi Fred,

                  TNX for the replies. To set up skeds in PSKFEC31 try the Olivia crowd,
                  we seem to be all interested in experimenting, so (amongst others) Fred
                  OH/DK4ZC and Chris HB9BDM might be interested?! I once had a QSO with
                  Fred in PSKFEC31 using 1 Watt only (and just a longwire). The mode beats
                  PSK31 hands down (which half decent digimode doesn't?). I still am sure
                  that Olivia 8/250 is noticeably better than PSKFEC31.

                  With the upcoming northern summer 0300 to 0500 UTC doesn't look so
                  daunting. Re VK: In my experience 0700-0800 is a bit too early between
                  VK and W on 40m. A month ago I worked WA5KVB at 1130 and WB5MNK at 12:39
                  on 40m - both in Olivia (8/250). The band was about to close at 1250.
                  With the changing seasons the opening times may move forward, but I
                  suspect not by that much. If you want to arrange a sked, just send me an
                  E-mail and we can compare PSKFEC31 and Olivia!

                  --
                  73: Waldis Jirgens - VK1WJ - http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ilgonis
                • Patricia Gibbons
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 19, 2007
                    I'm back on the air with sound-card modes, and would like to try out
                    olivia 500/16 on 40 meters ...

                    Is the "standard frequency" on 40 meters still
                    7034.00 (dial)/ 7035.5 (channel center) ???

                    If not, what is now recommended for 40 meter Olivia ??

                    Elaine / wa6ube
                  • Gunner
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 19, 2007
                      Hello,

                      7072.5 USB seems to be a popular 40M freq these days for both Olivia and
                      MFSK16. For Olivia 500/16, that would be the dial freq with the ACF at
                      750hz. According to some other Olivia tutorials I have seen, 7076.0 USB
                      is supposed to also be an Olivia freq for Reg 2

                      Also, if you want to use Olivia on 20M, try 500/16 on the "65s"
                      (14075.65, 076.65, 077.65, etc) with 750Hz ACF. For 1000/32, try
                      14104.5, 105.5, 106.5 etc, with an ACF of 1000Hz

                      Not sure how up to date the listing are, but there is a pretty good
                      breakdown of (suggested) band usages here:
                      <http://www.bandplans.com/index.php?band=All>

                      And don't forget to check K3UK's Digital Sked Reflector!
                      <http://www.obriensweb.com/drsked/drsked.php>
                      Its a great place to track digital band activity (good people there,
                      willing to help too)

                      C ya dn the wtrfall,

                      Glenn
                      KD4ULB