1834Re: [olivia] The 30m Band Utilization Chart -- 2 June 2011

    Jun 3, 2011
      On Jun 3, 2011, at 2:47 AM, Waldis Jirgens wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > Nice chart however "dial frequencies" are absolutely meaningless since
      > with today's digital programs you can use whatever offset you like for
      > virtually ALL modes (including Olivia). I find quoting "dial
      > frequencies" more confusing than helpful.

      Then you can ignore it, can't you?

      > It leads to second guessing
      > why a particular person finds a particular offset for a particular mode
      > more desirable than another.

      Perhaps you overanalyze things?

      > There may be very good reasons to use a
      > "non standard" offset (like availability of sharp if filters).

      If you have a particular quirk like filters, then you need to work out your solution.

      > Even
      > worse: It discourages newcomers to digital modes, since "it's all too
      > complicated".

      I disagree.

      > When I arrange a digital sked on a particular QRG I
      > stipulate: "Center frequency of the signal" - that's clear!

      As clear as mud. I don't think you are simplifying anything for a newcomer. Is that USB? LSB? Have you ever had a SSB sked that spec'd "Center frequency of the signal"?

      What is the "center frequency" for PSK? 14070.15 USB seems to be a lot more clear to a newcomer than something more convoluted.

      Ken WA8JXM
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic