Re: [oldwwmachines] New Unifence-Adjustment ????

  • Robert Vaughan
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2004
      That little bit of upward movement at the back of the fence when the front
      is tightened down is a fine thing and aids the accuracy of the fence. When
      the back of the fence is up off the table, it springs into alignment. This
      is particularly good when the leveling foot is over the miter gauge slots.
      Its the lack of that alignment freedom that causes problems in other fences.
      The old jet lock had that jump to some degree when the internal rubber
      bushing was good. When that bushing wears, the friction from the back fence
      clamp would often prevent the back of the fence from swinging all the way
      into alignment before the front of the fence was completely locked. The
      older Delta and Powermatic fences had two separate mechanisms that had to be
      operated before the fence was completely locked. One would lock down on the
      front bar and should be able to feel the slight bump as the back of the
      fence raised. Then the back fence clamp was engaged either by a lever
      handle on the Powermatic or a screw knob on the old Delta┬╣s

      Bob Vaughan
      Roanoke VA

      On 4/30/04 11:18 PM, "mjpokeefe" <mokeefe@...> wrote:

      > Well i took the plunge an replaced the old jet lock with a new
      > unifence.Anyway a question on adjustment if i can? when i push the
      > handle down to lock it the end of the fence[the part that looks like
      > a table leg leveler]raises up.i went thru the instructions,delta's
      > site but having no luck finding anything on how to correct
      > this.Appreciate any help Thanks Mike O'Keefe p.s. i think the jet
      > lock definitly looks better on the Unisaw though.

    • GHP
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2004
        Yes, the unifence might look better but in the end, it's the quality of cut
        (or the lack, thereof) that really makes the difference.

        Gary