Re: Radial Arm Saw

  • n0kkj
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
      Go to the DewaltRadialArmSaw yahoo group and do some snooping or
      posting. Don't know how active they are these days, but about a year
      ago when I was checking on my early 40's saw, they came right through.

      Good Luck

      Tools
    • Robert Black
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
        Hi Jmcquaysr,

        Try Wolfe Machinery Co.
        6300 N. W. Beaver Dr.
        P. O. Box 497
        Johnston, Iowa 50131-0497
        1-800 345 6659
        www.wolfemachinery.com

        Get their brochure entitled, " Your Complete Source for DeWalt Radial Arm Saws!. It has the best list of DeWalts with basic specs I've seen. For instance, the 7700 is shown as a 1 3/4 HP, 1 ph machine with a 5/8" arbor, 3 5/8" depth of cut and max crosscut of 18".

        I got reprints, not copies, of "Instruction and Parts Manual", for both the GE and the GA saw that I'm in the process of rebuilding.. They charge for them, and I can't remember what I paid, but I was pleased with what I got.

        Some of their literature say they specialize in rebuilt DeWalt Saws. I understand they do the rebuild work inhouse with their own machine shop. I priced having my two arms remachined and I'd suggest you be sitting down when you ask. It just wasn't practical to cover the freight bill from Atlanta to Iowa both ways. In my case the GE in Std. trim goes 750 lbs and you want to have a helper to move the bare arm. We ain't talking no UPS here, and the motor freight guys talk serious money for LTL shipments. If you are closer you might want to consider it.

        I got them both done locally for $600 cash on a same job basis and this included a new dovetail cutter for the guys mill. It takes a fairly good sized table on a vertical mill to handle one of these puppies. I got to take home the cutter since it was special for the job so it now resides next to my son's Bridgeport. I was unable to find a local HSM with a Bridgeport with a 54" table.

        Good luck on the rebuild,

        Bob Black in Atlanta

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2004
          Thank You for responding with that info. I look foward to getting it up and
          running someday, and posting some pics.

          John

          I am looking for parts/a parts list/instruction booklet for a Dewalt
          Radial Arm Saw, Model 7770/3427, Type 6, Serial 53770889. If anyone
          has any knowledge of these items, please contact me at
          joemar1@.... Thankyou.

          To access the group's archive without those pesky pop-ups, go to:
          http://files.oldwwmachines.com/Archive

          If you'd like to visit our Web page go to:
          http://www.owwm.com And as always, stay vigilant...

          Service.

          To access the group's archive without those pesky pop-ups, go to:
          http://files.oldwwmachines.com/Archive

          If you'd like to visit our Web page go to:
          http://www.owwm.com And as always, stay vigilant...

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • hdcoder76
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 13, 2006
            Last weekend at an auction I encountered a RAS that I had never seen.
            Rather than the saw traveling on the arm, the entire arm traveled.
            This is large piece with @ 30" travel. The only distinguishing marks
            said Viking Motor Company.

            I do not have the saw as I would have had to purchase the "lot" to get
            the saw, however, I gave my name and number to the fellow that won the
            sale and he said he would contact me, as he was not after the saw.
            There was also a base and some very sad looking Delta misc. that went
            with the lot, I may take these off his hands if he does not want them.

            Back to the point, anyone have any idea on the manf. or age of the
            above described saw? I know I did not give much to go on. If I get
            the saw I will be sure to post some pics.

            Thanks,

            Josh
          • Rick Antrobus
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 13, 2006
              From: "hdcoder76" <jlc@...>
              > Last weekend at an auction I encountered a RAS that I had never seen.
              > Rather than the saw traveling on the arm, the entire arm traveled.
              > This is large piece with @ 30" travel. The only distinguishing marks
              > said Viking Motor Company.

              Did it look like this?
              http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=614

              or this?
              http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=611

              or this?
              http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=895

              or this?
              http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=1656

              or even this odd ball, from DeWalt?
              http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2768

              That design is not so uncommon, and was most popular with Comet, as you can
              see. Do you think Viking may be associated with Comet?

              A lot of people like that design, because there's no harm overhanging the
              table when the blade is in its rearward position, meaning you can use the
              table for layout and other things. Of course, the disadvantage is that you
              can't put this saw up against a wall, as most people do with their RAS's.

              Rick Antrobus
              Bethlehem, PA
            • Rick Antrobus
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 13, 2006
                From: "Rick Antrobus" <yahoo@...>
                > A lot of people like that design, because there's no harm overhanging the
                > table when the blade is in its rearward position...

                Errr... "because there's no *arm* overhanging the table."

                Rick Antrobus
                Bethlehem, PA
              • hdcoder76
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 13, 2006
                  --- In oldwwmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Antrobus" <yahoo@...>
                  wrote:

                  > From: "hdcoder76" <jlc@...>
                  > > Last weekend at an auction I encountered a RAS that I had never
                  seen.
                  > > Rather than the saw traveling on the arm, the entire arm
                  traveled.
                  > > This is large piece with @ 30" travel. The only distinguishing
                  marks
                  > > said Viking Motor Company.
                  >
                  > Did it look like this?
                  > http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=614
                  >
                  > or this?
                  > http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=611
                  >
                  > or this?
                  > http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=895
                  >
                  > or this?
                  > http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=1656
                  >
                  > or even this odd ball, from DeWalt?
                  > http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2768
                  >
                  > That design is not so uncommon, and was most popular with Comet,
                  as you can
                  > see. Do you think Viking may be associated with Comet?
                  >
                  > A lot of people like that design, because there's no harm
                  overhanging the
                  > table when the blade is in its rearward position, meaning you can
                  use the
                  > table for layout and other things. Of course, the disadvantage is
                  that you
                  > can't put this saw up against a wall, as most people do with their
                  RAS's.

                  > Rick Antrobus
                  > Bethlehem, PA

                  It looks like the 3rd option. I have to learn to take my camera to
                  the auctions. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the winner will
                  call. All kinds of snow here in MN today, so maybe he is snow bound
                  and not going to attempt a pickup to day.

                  Thanks for the help. I'm not sure on the association, I will post
                  again if I come up with anything.

                  Thanks,

                  Josh
                • jblenzi
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 13, 2006
                    wrote:

                    > From: "Rick Antrobus" <yahoo@...>
                    > > A lot of people like that design, because there's no harm
                    overhanging the
                    > > table when the blade is in its rearward position...
                    >
                    > Errr... "because there's no *arm* overhanging the table."
                    ------

                    I think you got it right either way, Rick. If you overhang the
                    table when the blade is in its' frontward position, your arm (or
                    other body parts) could be subject to harm...;-)

                    Then also, there's this version of the armless saw:

                    http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=3005

                    While it is nice to have the table clear when the blade is in its'
                    harmless position, there's a big arm of another sort hanging out the
                    back, so you can't put the saw up against a wall.

                    Joe, in kold Kalifornia (don't laugh, it's cold for us. 24F at 0500
                    hrs.)
                  • Rick Antrobus
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 13, 2006
                      From: "jblenzi" <jblenzi@...>
                      > Then also, there's this version of the armless saw:
                      > http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=3005

                      Oh... well if you want to get into the real arcane stuff, here's my two
                      fav's:

                      http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=3811

                      http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=509

                      I'm not sure that second one even technically qualifies as an RAS, being
                      that there's no "A" to be found. Maybe Lloyd can chime in as to how well
                      that bad boy works.

                      Rick Antrobus
                      Bethlehem, PA
                    • Ray Muno
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 13, 2006
                        Rick Antrobus wrote:

                        > http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=509
                        >
                        > I'm not sure that second one even technically qualifies as an RAS, being
                        > that there's no "A" to be found. Maybe Lloyd can chime in as to how well
                        > that bad boy works.
                        >
                        > Rick Antrobus
                        > Bethlehem, PA

                        I think I would consider that machine to be more of a straight line cut
                        off saw. I would say it lacks the R and A in RAS.

                        Looks like it would function similar to the Oliver 94-D "Straitline"
                        Cut-Off Saw.

                        http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Oliver/94-3611.pdf

                        -Ray Muno