Re: [oldwwmachines] Fontana auction motherload

  • Unisaw A100
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2003
      leftcoastmike wrote:
      >looks like "catruckman" bought the whole auction. don't those guys
      >make auctions worth going to?
      >see:

      >http://tinyurl.com/55fd

      Careful what you say about your fellow OWWMer.

      Keith Bohn
    • catruckman1 <catruckman@aol.com>
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 2, 2003
        I am honored by all the attention you folks are paying to my auction
        activities. Yes, I bought several machines at the Fontana auction and
        would probably have bought more had not so many of you been there to
        drive the prices up. The prices posted by "Robert" last week were
        often erroneous. The red drill press sold for $35.00 plus 10% buyer's
        premium. Since this drill press started it's design life as a Walker
        Turner it is vastily superior to the junk Delta turned out latter. I
        know of one of these W-T/Delta drill presses that has been running 20-
        30 hours a week for the last 30 years and it was well worn when the
        shop acquired it. Total repair cost has been a new quill return
        spring. I mostly bought wood lathes as there seems to be little
        interest in them here on the left coast. I am a Powermatic parts
        dealer and since the Powermatic 90 is out of production they (WMH)
        now refers some parts inquires for PM90's to me. I bought a couple of
        other machines because the price was right. Leigh@MarMachine
      • mike <leftcoastmike@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 3, 2003
          Hi leigh...welcome to the group
          personally i bought a powermatic 66 off Leigh last year and more
          importantly, since he is a PM dealer, he was able to save me a bundle
          on a bunch of new parts from the factory. So keep Leigh's number
          handy.
          Good score on the auction!!!
          regards
          mike

          > interest in them here on the left coast. I am a Powermatic parts
          > dealer and since the Powermatic 90 is out of production they (WMH)
          > now refers some parts inquires for PM90's to me. I bought a couple
          of other machines because the price was right. Leigh@MarMachine
        • murali nair
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 3, 2003
            Mike, Do you have Leigh's phone #. I recently acquired a powermatic #160
            planer , 1970 vintage and in the process of carrying out a complete
            overhaul. So he may be my man.

            Murali

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 3, 2003
              hi murali
              Good score!. He may be able to help you.
              i wrote leigh on the back channel and advised him to put his number
              in his biography. Meanwhile, you may try to look him up at Mar Marine
              in Cost Mesa CA
              regards
              mike

              --- In oldwwmachines@yahoogroups.com, murali nair <mnair@a...> wrote:
              > Mike, Do you have Leigh's phone #. I recently acquired a powermatic
              > planer , 1970 vintage and in the process of carrying out a complete
              > overhaul. So he may be my man.
              >
              > Murali
              >
              > "mike " wrote:
              >
              > > Hi leigh...welcome to the group
              > > personally i bought a powermatic 66 off Leigh last year and more
              > > importantly, since he is a PM dealer, he was able to save me a
              bundle
              > > on a bunch of new parts from the factory. So keep Leigh's number
              > > handy.
              > > Good score on the auction!!!
              > > regards
              > > mike
              > >

              > > > interest in them here on the left coast. I am a Powermatic
              parts
              > > > dealer and since the Powermatic 90 is out of production they
              (WMH)
              > > > now refers some parts inquires for PM90's to me. I bought a
              couple
              > > of other machines because the price was right. Leigh@MarMachine
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              >

              > > To access the group's archive without those pesky pop-ups, go to:
              > > http://files.oldwwmachines.com/Archive
              > >
              > > If you'd like to visit our Web page go to:
              > > http://www.oldwwmachines.com

              > > And as always, stay vigilante...

              Service.

            • catruckman1 <catruckman@aol.com>
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 3, 2003
                I have absolutely nothing for a Powermatic planer. What I do have is
                a couple of PM66 cabinet saws, a 12" disc sander, a 12" disc
                sander/belt sander combo, a nice 15" drill press and an older vari-
                speed parts drill press. That along with about 20 PM 90's in various
                stages of decay and repair. I also sell Delta suff but that is not
                the subject tonight. You can call me at (949) 645-7601 during normal
                working hours (PST). Leigh
              • one_jack_1 <1jack@altavista.net>
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 7, 2003
                  look for all the goodies bought by catruckman to show up on ebay
                  after he sells off all the attachments
                  --- In oldwwmachines@yahoogroups.com, Unisaw A100 <UnisawA100@w...>

                • Dave Potts <dpotts77@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 7, 2003
                    --- In oldwwmachines@yahoogroups.com, "one_jack_1 <1jack@a...>"
                    <1jack@a...> wrote:
                    > look for all the goodies bought by catruckman to show up on ebay
                    > after he sells off all the attachments

                    I disagree, politely...... It's a good time NOW to buy those
                    attachments from Leigh (CATruckman) before they go up on auction.
                    I've bought about 6 or more items from them (MarMachine)and have
                    gotten great parts, well wrapped, and accurate descriptions.....
                    that's more than you can say about other venders. One or two items
                    slipped below the radar, too, because they ended at very reasonable
                    prices.

                    I actually wish I was closer to Costa Mesa so I could snoop around
                    his inventory.

                    Dave Potts
                    NJ

                    > > >http://tinyurl.com/55fd

                  • Doug Rewerts
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 7, 2003
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 7, 2003
                        hi
                        let me add my 3 cents about leigh..he'll give you a square deal and
                        even help you get parts from powermatic at a discount
                        mike

                        --- In oldwwmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Rewerts" <drewerts@b...>
                        > > look for all the goodies bought by catruckman to show up on ebay
                      • Pete van der Lugt
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 7, 2003
                          Clue in one of the clueless. Who is Leigh, and does he have a website?

                          Pete

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 7, 2003
                            Hello one_jack_1 <1jack@.... I tried to send
                            you a message and for some reason it got bounced. Mind
                            pinging me on the back channel? OK, it really wasn't meant
                            to be a question. Ping me on the back channel.

                            Thanks.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 8, 2003
                              <1jack@a...> wrote:
                              > look for all the goodies bought by catruckman to show up on ebay
                              > after he sells off all the attachments

                              Would like like to take your foot out of your mouth and explain to me
                              what attachments I bought at Fontana that I can sell off w/o the
                              machines. I bought six wood lathes, three of which are being
                              scrapped. Yes, I can sell parts off them but two have broken beds so
                              I don't see any sense in trying to sell them. One of the Deltas gave
                              up several good parts to make the other a complete machine. I can
                              honestly state there are no lose accesories that will be sold from
                              the 12 units I purchased at Fontana. In the past I have bought lots
                              of lose parts and been able to market various accesories but this
                              hasn't occured in the last 6-8 months. Before letting your mouth fly
                              open maybe you should get your facts straight. You also might
                              consider that the best buys made at Fontana were metal working
                              equipment and the guys over at RCM think it is just great to have
                              more machines in the flow to hobbiests. I am afraid I don't
                              understand your negativity to someone buying something at auction and
                              reselling to those that are not aware of or chose not to attend
                              auctions. I sell more machines to Delta Dave then any other
                              individual. He knows exactly when and where I buy them and choses
                              not to go with me. He knows I sell at a fair price and guarantee
                              what I sell. What auction house offers a guarantee and fixed price?
                              Get down off your soapbox: your crusade is futile. Leigh@Marmachine
                            • Unisaw A100
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 9, 2003
                                one_jack_1 wrote:
                                >> look for all the goodies bought by catruckman to show up on ebay
                                >> after he sells off all the attachments

                                Leigh justifiably replied:
                                snippage...
                                >Get down off your soapbox: your crusade is futile.

                                I think that was a pretty reasonable reply to one_jack_1's
                                *turd pinch*. OK, I really think Leigh let him off easy.

                                And again, one_jack_1, please ping me on the private side.

                                Keith Bohn
                                UnisawA100@...
                              • Bob Wilkerson, Jr <rgwjr@rgwjr.com>
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 9, 2003
                                  --- In oldwwmachines@yahoogroups.com, "catruckman1 <catruckman@a...>"
                                  <catruckman@a...> wrote:
                                  > --- In oldwwmachines@yahoogroups.com, "one_jack_1 <1jack@a...>"
                                  > <1jack@a...> wrote:
                                  > > look for all the goodies bought by catruckman to show up on ebay
                                  > > after he sells off all the attachments

                                  A man after my heart.....

                                  > Would like like to take your foot out of your mouth and explain to
                                  > me what attachments I bought at Fontana that I can sell off w/o the
                                  > machines.

                                  Why would anyone worry about that? Makes sense to me.

                                  > I bought six wood lathes, three of which are being scrapped.

                                  Here, here for the parts suppliers!!! If they were in shape to be
                                  restored he'd take parts from unrestorable machines to sell them
                                  complete ala the Delta lathe. Done that myself. Buy a parts machine,
                                  take what I need to fix something and pass the rest on to those who
                                  need them.

                                  > Before letting your mouth fly open maybe you should get your
                                  > facts straight.

                                  Some people have a congenital defect in that it seems to stay there.

                                  > You also might consider that the best buys made at Fontana were
                                  > metal working equipment

                                  Same thing my local old iron seller has said many times. If it was
                                  woodworking equipment or nothing he'd be out of business.

                                  > I am afraid I don't understand your negativity to someone buying
                                  > something at auction and reselling to those that are not aware of
                                  > or chose not to attend auctions.

                                  If you don't have the time to go why shouldn't someone make a living
                                  off of auction purposes? If he buys it for x and sells it to someone
                                  for x+overhead+profit that = capitalism. If you want low prices, go
                                  to auctions yourself and decide what it's worth. In most cases the
                                  machine you want is worth more to you than a dealer.

                                  > I sell more machines to Delta Dave then any other individual. He
                                  > knows exactly when and where I buy them and choses not to go with
                                  > me.

                                  You can include me in the list as I've bought very needed parts from
                                  Leigh at a fair price and can't say anything but good words about him.

                                  > Get down off your soapbox: your crusade is futile.

                                  Ditto. I guess that I'm feeling cranky at those who assume that ALL
                                  machines should go to us hobbyists for bottom feeder prices without
                                  putting effort into it. I've made some great deals like others in
                                  the group but it's through effort and an investment in time. If I
                                  paid $300 for something I'd expect it to be worth at least $450 as
                                  I've spent time and money to get it. IF it's not a good deal for
                                  someone else at $450 then I'd let it go unless it was for my own
                                  use. After all, that's how many of us fund our shops. FWIW, I used
                                  to own a 37" Wide belt sander that I bought at auction for $450 +
                                  about $100 in rentals to get it home. Super deal, yes. Sold it for
                                  $3500 to someone in Ohio who knew it was still a great deal for him.
                                  Both of us were happy. If I could do it all the time I'd make a
                                  business of it but it's more of a rarity.

                                  Getting off my soap box now.

                                  Bob

                                  ps: still ticked that my email is screwing up...... need to get my
                                  daughter her own machine so she doesn't mess with mine... sigh.
                                • Dean
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 9, 2003
                                    > Getting off my soap box now.
                                    >
                                    > Bob
                                    >
                                    > ps: still ticked that my email is screwing up...... need to get my
                                    > daughter her own machine so she doesn't mess with mine... sigh.

                                    Is this why we haven't heard back as to pricing on your *mother load*?

                                    Inquiring minds want to know. 8>)

                                    Dean
                                  • Bob Wilkerson, Jr <rgwjr@rgwjr.com>
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 9, 2003
                                      --- In oldwwmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Dean" <craftsman@n...> wrote:
                                      > Is this why we haven't heard back as to pricing on your *mother
                                      load*?

                                      > Inquiring minds want to know. 8>)
                                      >
                                      > Dean

                                      Yup, don't know who has pinged me yet..... or any other mail for the
                                      last five days. I'm going to the store today to buy another copy of
                                      Outlook as I can't find the one I had. Memory loss is a real pain in
                                      the @##. Know it's here somewhere but can't remember which box it
                                      was packed in when we closed up the business. Only about 120 boxes
                                      spread between Richmond and Utica, NY. So I figured that it's
                                      cheaper in time to buy another rather than keep searching.

                                      Bob
                                    • Dean
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 9, 2003
                                        OK, so now that we have yer attention . . . .

                                        What is you idea of *reasonable offer* on the Delta 13" planer ?

                                        You can ping me on the back channel, if yer embarassed to say 8>)

                                        Dean - an inquiring mind.