Re: [oldwwmachines] Yager thickness planer

  • GHP
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
      My 14'' Rockwell saw has the date cast into all the major castings.

      Gary

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
        Mike wrote:
        >I recently purchased a Rockwell unisaw. I am not sure how old it is
        >(I would guess 70's). No cast iron ring around base - stamped
        >steel. Anybody have an idea how to date it?

        Start with a movie and dinner. Pick a good wine. :-) All
        kidding aside, call Delta or an authorized Delta service
        center with the serial number. They'll set you up with the
        month and year.

        >Also, I just picked up an old (maybe 50's vintage) 10" Yager
        >thickness planer. Nice old cast iron machine (better than the
        >current portables IMHO).

        I'd often wondered about this. There's also the Red Fox
        planer made by Partington. It makes the Park 12" look like
        it came out of the Jetsons, but I digress.

        >Maybe not the largest planer, but it should
        >work for me for a while (until I find a nice PM or Rockwell in a few
        >years). Anyway, has anyone ever heard of a Yager? Any info would be
        >great. I would like to know how old it is.

        Best I can do for you is fill in a couple of blanks.

        The Yager and K-Line planers were made by Astro Wood Planer
        Co., Inc. out of Bristol, Conn. It was available with a
        hand crank feed and power feed. One little option was an
        add on table that would allow you to slant the bed left to
        right (when viewing it from the infeed/outfeed). This would
        allow you to make put a draft on a piece. In other words,
        make a board that was thinner along one edge.

        My only info is dated 1977. The hand crank model sold for
        $500 and the power feed sold for $90. Full bore with stand,
        motor, switch, etc., $751.

        Ping me privately at keeter@... and I'd be happy to
        send a copy of the flyer to your very house.

        Keith Bohn
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
          --- In oldwwmachines@y..., Duke of URLs© <keeter@w...> wrote:
          > Mike wrote:
          > >I recently purchased a Rockwell unisaw. I am not sure how old it
          is
          > >(I would guess 70's). No cast iron ring around base - stamped
          > >steel. Anybody have an idea how to date it?
          >
          > Start with a movie and dinner. Pick a good wine. :-) All
          > kidding aside, call Delta or an authorized Delta service
          > center with the serial number. They'll set you up with the
          > month and year.

          I needed the movie and wine to talk my wife into another purchase
          this year!! Thanks, I'll try calling Delta.

          > >Also, I just picked up an old (maybe 50's vintage) 10" Yager
          > >thickness planer. Nice old cast iron machine (better than the
          > >current portables IMHO).
          >
          > I'd often wondered about this. There's also the Red Fox
          > planer made by Partington. It makes the Park 12" look like
          > it came out of the Jetsons, but I digress.

          I just got the planer set up and so far I'm very happy. Considering
          what little I paid for mine and the fact it uses good old motors,
          belts, pulleys, etc. and no universal motor (disposable). I think
          this planer will be running after the current crop of disposables - I
          mean PORTABLES are in land fills!!

          > >Maybe not the largest planer, but it should
          > >work for me for a while (until I find a nice PM or Rockwell in a
          few
          > >years). Anyway, has anyone ever heard of a Yager? Any info would
          be
          > >great. I would like to know how old it is.
          >
          > Best I can do for you is fill in a couple of blanks.
          >
          > The Yager and K-Line planers were made by Astro Wood Planer
          > Co., Inc. out of Bristol, Conn. It was available with a
          > hand crank feed and power feed. One little option was an
          > add on table that would allow you to slant the bed left to
          > right (when viewing it from the infeed/outfeed). This would
          > allow you to make put a draft on a piece. In other words,
          > make a board that was thinner along one edge.
          >
          > My only info is dated 1977. The hand crank model sold for
          > $500 and the power feed sold for $90. Full bore with stand,
          > motor, switch, etc., $751.
          >
          > Ping me privately at keeter@w... and I'd be happy to
          > send a copy of the flyer to your very house.

          Thanks, I'll do that!!

          Regards,
          Mike
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
            --- In oldwwmachines@y..., "GHP" <gary@g...> wrote:
            > My 14'' Rockwell saw has the date cast into all the major castings.
            >
            > Gary

            Thanks for the idea. I need to do a little disassembly and maybe I
            can find something. No date on any exposed areas that I can see.

            Thanks
            Mike
          • GHP
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001