Re: [oldwivestales] Magpies

  • george warner
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 23, 2003
      The practice of Augury has been around for centuries. It is about prredicting the future by counting the number of crows present at significant times, Sometimes the direction of their flight is significant,or the time of day at which they are seen. Complex rules have been drawn up by some augurist, while simple rhymes are used by others.
       The basic rhyme, which goes something like "One for Sorrow, Two for Joy.." has been a popular children's chant off and on through the years. It has recently been made popular again by the band Counting Crows' which has put the ryhme to.music.
       Crow augury may have started off as Magpie augury. The oldest ryhmes, including at least one dating to the 1600's, deal with counting magpies rather than crows. The magpie rhyme seems to have been left on European shores, though. In North America, most people who know the rhyme use it in reference to crows.

        Various version of the rhyme exist,but the basics are as follows:

      One: Sorrow. An unhappy event. A change for the worse. Maybe loss or a death.
      Two: Joy. A surprise. A change for the better. Sometimes the finding of something.
      Three: Marriage. A celebration. Sometimes the birth of a female child. Othertimes some significant event around a daughter.
      Four: Birth. Usually the birth of a male child. Sometimes a significant event surrounding a son.
      Five: Silver. Sometimes costly. Usually a positive transaction.
      Six: Gold. Wealth. Sometimes money. Maybe greed. Occasionally a negative transaction.
      Seven: Something of spiritual significance. Often a secret. In some cases witchcraft, or the performing of sacred rites.
      Eight: Something profound. Death,dying,or a glimpse of Heaven. A life-altering journey or experience.
      Nine: Something sensual. Passion, or forbidden delight. In some versions this is corruption, in others it is closer to temptation.
      Ten: Something extreme. An overwhelming sensation. Something paid in full.
      Eleven: Uncertainty. Waiting. Wanting. May be in relation to a spiritual matter.
      Twelve: Fulfillment. Riches ( though not always of a material sort ). A fruitful labor. Something completed. An end to a problem,or the answer to a question.
      Maureen Denise Jones <Maureen5961@...> wrote:
       Hi Everybody,
           Have read with interest all your tales on the crows and magpies. But one thing is bothering me.
       In the States your seem to sing the old rhyme that i know for the magpie to the crows. Hence.....for Magpies we sing:- One for sorrow, Two for joy, Three for a girl , Four for a boy, Five for silver, Six for gold, Seven for a secret never to be told.
        Can anyone shine any light on this. Also while I have your brains working...lol.. why is it said....When you see a lone magpie you must salute it.
        Thanks. Enjoy raeding all your messages. Stay safe everyone.

      Looking for cheaper internet access? Find loads of great offers here!

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • george warner