Re: two dollar bill

  • J. Glazier
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 16, 2003
      Ok heres what I have read about it. The two dollar bill in the US is
      unlucky and inclined to bring bad luck to the beholder. Now the
      safest way of countering such bad luck is apparently to tear off one
      of the corners of the bill when it is received;when all four corners
      have been removed the bill itself should be destroyed. The
      superstition may have been derived from the association with the two
      (or deuce)in a pack of playing cards which is also said to be
      unlucky. Deuce is the old slang name for the devil. Now for my own
      personal opinion I would not keep a two dollar bill in my house or
      possession because I associate money with the symbol of the disc so
      when I look at the two I immediately think of the two of discs in
      the tarot which I have found to be very unlucky for many people. I
      have done experiments and observations with the two of discs and it
      has always been unlucky in all aspects.So even though the deuce is
      not associated with discs I see it in a totally different
      perspective.

      CC

      --- In oldwivestales@yahoogroups.com, "shastabain" <shastabain@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi, I only have one question. What is the wives tale about two
      > dollar bills? Is it bad luck to keep them or spend them? thanks
      > Shasta Bain
    • The Miller's
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 17, 2003
        About the two dollar bill. Maybe that is why I have so much bad luck. I have 3 of them. But I hate to get rid of them. My father gave me one of them.

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Shasta Bain
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 17, 2003
          I found out today that it is bad luck to spend them, and not if you keep them Shasta

          The Miller's <pudgy35565@...> wrote:
          About the two dollar bill. Maybe that is why I have so much bad luck. I have 3 of them. But I hate to get rid of them. My father gave me one of them.

          Do you Yahoo!?

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Michelle
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 17, 2003
            US superstition   regards the two dollar bill as a singulary unlucky denomination inclined to bring bad luck to the holder, particualy if found in the winnings from gambling. The safest way of countering sutch bad luck is apperently to tare off one of the corners of the bill when it is recived, when all four corners have been removed, the bill its self should be distroyed. This prejudice agunist the two dollar bill may have developed threw association with the two or deuce in a pack of playing cards witch is said to be unlucky duce being a slang name for the devil.
            Hi, I only have one question. What is the wives tale about two
            dollar bills? Is it bad luck to keep them or spend them? thanks
            Shasta Bain

          • Charlene Briggs
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 18, 2003
              I've also heard it is bad luck to spend them.

              Shasta Bain <shastabain@...> wrote:
              I found out today that it is bad luck to spend them, and not if you keep them Shasta

              The Miller's <pudgy35565@...> wrote:
              About the two dollar bill. Maybe that is why I have so much bad luck. I have 3 of them. But I hate to get rid of them. My father gave me one of them.

              Do you Yahoo!?

              Do you Yahoo!?

              Charlene

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • s garcia
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 18, 2003
                No one is more superstitious than my husband and he must believe they are bad luck to spend for he has saved all he ever received in change. It has been many years since anyone I know has received a $2 bill in change.

                Shirley in TX
              • Tammy S.
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 18, 2003
                  Send 'em to me! I'll spend them for ya! If there's one thing i'm good at it's spending money! LOL

                  Tammy

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                • Shasta Bain
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 18, 2003
                    Michelle, Thank you for your answer, but I am still confused. If I spend them are they bad luck? Thanks again. Shasta Bain

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 18, 2003
                      I got my answer from a dictionary of superstitions the book dident mention spending the money. I have got them for gifts and I have spent them. I cant find mutch else on two doller bills. have a good time spending your cash Michelle

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 18, 2003
                        Thank you I will be more than happy to save them. For who ever sent the e mail to send them the bills get real noone gets my money. I only wanted the input on the 2 dollar bill thanks again Shasta

                        s garcia <tgarcia6@...> wrote:
                        No one is more superstitious than my husband and he must believe they are bad luck to spend for he has saved all he ever received in change. It has been many years since anyone I know has received a $2 bill in change.

                        Shirley in TX

                        Do you Yahoo!?
                      • helen skabowski
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 18, 2003

                          Hi,,has any one heard of the superstion on 1 crow sorrow,,,2 crows joy and 3 crows,,? 4 crows?.  Friend of mine mother was in the process of dying and he looked out window there was one crow,,,as she passed the crow flew away. Thanks
                          s garcia <tgarcia6@...> wrote:
                          No one is more superstitious than my husband and he must believe they are bad luck to spend for he has saved all he ever received in change. It has been many years since anyone I know has received a $2 bill in change.

                          Shirley in TX

                          Do you Yahoo!?
                        • Janice Addecott
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 19, 2003
                            I thought it was magpies 1 for sorrow, 2 for joy, 3 for a girl, 4 for a boy, 5 for silver, 6 for gold, 7 for a secret never to be told etc.

                            I thought it was 1 magpie unlucky unless you get someone in the same room to see it without telling them what is out there, and it cancels itself?

                            Thanks
                            Janice

                            s garcia <tgarcia6@...> wrote:
                            No one is more superstitious than my husband and he must believe they are bad luck to spend for he has saved all he ever received in change. It has been many years since anyone I know has received a $2 bill in change.

                            Shirley in TX

                            Do you Yahoo!?

                            Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo! Messenger

                          • Fear, Graham
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 19, 2003
                              The only one I know of is

                              "one for sorrow
                              two for joy
                              three for a girl
                              four for a boy
                              five for silver
                              six for gold
                              seven for a secret never to be told
                              eight a wish
                              nine a kiss
                              ten a wedding thats ne'er to be missed"

                              this is one I learnt from my great aunt when I was knee high to a grasshopper, and it may be kentish version, as I`ve heard other people from elsewhere in the UK have different ones

                              Graham
                              s garcia <tgarcia6@...> wrote:
                              No one is more superstitious than my husband and he must believe they are bad luck to spend for he has saved all he ever received in change. It has been many years since anyone I know has received a $2 bill in change.

                              Shirley in TX

                              Do you Yahoo!?

                              the system manager.
                              This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses but this in no way indicates that the message is virus free.
                            • SW
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 19, 2003
                                I thought is was Magpies not Crows? But here it is:-

                                One for sorrow
                                Two for joy
                                Three for a girl
                                Four for a boy
                                Five for silver
                                Six for gold
                                Seven for a secret, never to be told.
                                Eight for a wish
                                Nine for a kiss
                                etc

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 19, 2003
                                  Hi Shirley,

                                  In MA you sometimes receive $2 bills as change in postage stamp vending machines.  I heard that the gov. was  going to circulate more $2, but haven't seen any other than at the stamp machine.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 19, 2003
                                    I've always known it for crows, the main on for magpies was always to salute/bow to acknowledge them to prevent bad luck, but as I said it may just be a regional interpretation

                                    gray

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 20, 2003
                                          I posted the query with another group I`m a part of, and got the following back:

                                          "I don't know where the version of the rhyme you mention comes from but I have found something interesting in an old book I have.  I don't know how old the book is but I have been told it's rare and the birthday calendar in it is for the year 1936.  Anyway, this is what I found in it:-
                                          To see a single magpie, especially if it be upon the left, is a most unlucky sign, presaging death.  To encounter two of these birds is very lucky, however, and good fortune should attend you within three days.  The omen varies with the number of magpies that are seen in the course of the walk, as is evinced by the well known rhyme concerning these birds;-
                                          One's sorrow, two's mirth,
                                          Three's a wedding, four's a birth,
                                          Five's a christening, six a dearth,
                                          Seven's heaven, eight's hell,
                                          And nine's the devil his ane sel.

                                          In Scotland the flight of a flock of magpies past a house is considered to be an omen of the approaching death of an inhabitant.  The natives of Devonshire believe that the evil portent of seeing a single magpie is dispelled by spitting three times over the left shoulder, a precaution taken probably in order to propitiate the powers of darkness."

                                          also, the following sites were recommended:

                                              s garcia <tgarcia6@...> wrote:
                                              No one is more superstitious than my husband and he must believe they are bad luck to spend for he has saved all he ever received in change. It has been many years since anyone I know has received a $2 bill in change.

                                              Shirley in TX

                                              Do you Yahoo!?

                                              Do you Yahoo!?

                                              the system manager.
                                              This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses but this in no way indicates that the message is virus free.

                                              Shasta Bain

                                              Do you Yahoo!?

                                              a magpie is a bird of the crow family. i,ll try to attach a photo of one..

                                              Do you Yahoo!?