RE: Rezoning Great Hang Ups: We need your help!

  • CJ Strawn
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2010
      The owners of Great Hang-ups are indeed requesting that the half acre lot at the SW corner of West Broadway and West Boulevard be rezoned to Planned Commercial. The building housing the frame shop has operated as commercial for over 60 years. The 3 residential homes surrounding it are in such poor condition it would be cost-prohibitive to do the necessary repairs to keep them as rentals long term.

      Mark and Patti have tried very hard to work with concerned neighbors to get their input on the rezoning, adding restrictions to the type of businesses allowed, etc. They have no interest in developing it themselves, but would like to have appropriate zoning in place for a qualified buyer to be interested. I believe (and many others agree) that the eventual future of this corner will be redeveloped commercial. It is the highest and best use of the land. The owners thoughts were to get neighborhood input at this stage, so there is some control over any future development.

      I would like to clarify a few things from the previous email. The maximum gross floor area for any future building includes both floors of a 2 story building. That means the footprint of any building on the lot would be 5,000 square feet (or less). Any new building would have a smaller footprint then the total of the 4 buildings currently on the property. The city has formulas for new developments that determine the maximum size of a building according to the size of the lot.

      The property doesn't even compare to Walgreens. The lot that Walgreens occupies is more than an acre - 2 times the size of this parcel is at the corner of a four lane road, and is surrounded by commercial.

      The vision for any future building on the Great Hang-ups property is one that is attractive and fits well architecturally with the surrounding residential homes. The building would most likely have retail or office on the ground floor and 3 or 4 living units on the upper floor.

      The ambiguous statement of intent� was discussed at our last meeting with the neighbors. The intent was to allow the neighborhood associations more input at the time a site development plan was filed by any future owner. Since the current owners have no intention of developing the property, it would not make sense to force them to incur the cost of a site plan and a site plan is not required by the city to file the statement of intent to change the zoning of a property.

      The possibility of losing one of Columbia's unique older neighborhoods is not what this is about. The buildings in question are disheveled, dilapidated, and unattractive. The commercial building is already too close to the street.

      Mark and Patti have a vision of any future development enhancing the neighborhood and being beneficial to the neighbors and area property values.

      I am representing the owners in the sale of this property but I have also lived in Columbia for nearly 30 years, and was once a partner in the frame shop with Mark and Patti. As a Columbian, I have a stake in this too. There is no doubt that this corner will be redeveloped commercial at some point. I would love to drive by this corner sometime in the future and see the type of development that would be allowed with this statement of intent�.

      Sincerely,

      CJ Strawn ABR, CRS, GRI, WCR
      Realtor and Real Estate Consultant
      cjstrawn at remax.net
      http://www.cjstrawn.com
    • Dan Goldstein
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2010
        Dear Mr. Strawn as a "Realtor and Real Estate Consultant" can you please give us all an estimate of the current value of this  0.6 acre propoerty that contains a "building housing the frame shop has operated as commercial for over 60 years" and that contains "3 residential homes surrounding it are in such poor condition it would be cost-prohibitive to do the necessary repairs to keep them as rentals long term"?
        Without any up-zoning what is it worth? In this current economy $200K maybe $250K ? Am I grossly off?

        As a fellow citizen that lives in the area I want to know if there is any profit motive involved in the current owners desire "to have appropriate zoning in place for a qualified buyer".
        (They have stated an asking price of $625K WITH UP-ZONNING, correct?)

        You bring up an important point here:

        "The ambiguous statement of intent was discussed at our last meeting with the neighbors. The intent was to allow the neighborhood associations more input at the time a site development plan was filed by any future owner. Since the current owners have no intention of developing the property, it would not make sense to force them to incur the cost of a site plan and a site plan is not required by the city to file the statement of intent to change the zoning of a property."

        Can you answer a question for me? I understand that you feel that the "The ambiguous statement of intent" would "allow the neighborhood associations more input at the time a site development plan was filed by any future owner". But at the "time a site development plan was filed" it would be a Planned Commercial (CP) zoned property that had an "ambiguous statement of intent" associated with it, so really beyond giving their opinion, which would not be at all legally binding, the neighbors would have very limited say so at the time of the development site plan.

        Kind of complicated no? Makes my head hurt...

        Let me see if I can clarify:

        An "ambiguous statement of intent" provides more say so for the neighbors in the future, when a site development plan is filed. But at this future point in time the property is zoned CP with an (here is comes!) "ambiguous statement of intent". So really the neighbors have little say so because what ever is requested will fall within the (here it comes again!) "ambiguous statement of intent".

        Hmm. No that didn't help. Can someone help me here?
        Why doesn't this make sense?

        Dan Goldstein

            As a community we either believe we have the right to plan our future, or we don't

        cjstrawn at remax.net
        http://www.cjstrawn.com