Jerry Wade: New lane stripping on West Broadway

  • Mike Martin
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
      I have had inquiries about the new lane stripping on West Broadway between
      Clinkscales and Stadium.

      The new marking will provide the following benefits:
      - increase safety and capacity by providing a two-way left turn lane to keep
      left turning vehicles from clocking through traffic.
      - Eliminate an unsafe merger condition on Broadway just east of Clinkscales
      Road.

      Most of the complaints I have had are related to the number of west-bound
      cars getting through at Clinkscales and the signal timing at that
      intersection. The changes to Broadway started with a mill and overlay
      project, which was needed to maintain a smooth driving surface. The traffic
      signal at Clinkscales had wires in the pavement, called induction loops,
      that allowed the computer at the intersection to minimize the green time (if
      no vehicles were present) for Clinkscales and Manor and for the eastbound
      left turns from Broadway onto Clinkscales. It was not possible to save
      these induction loops with the mill and overlay so for a short time, the
      computer must assume that vehicles are on the minor approaches and provide
      green time. The induction loops are scheduled for replacement in August,
      weather permitting. The timing has been adjusted at the intersection to
      allow it to function better until the induction loops can be replaced.
      After the induction loops are replaced, there will be better traffic flow at
      the intersection.

      The following provides more detailed explanation of the changes and why the
      decision was made to do them.

      1. CENTER LANE - A two-way-left-turn-lane is added which should help reduce
      accidents and maintain capacity. Following is a link to MoDOT's access
      management guide that documents 3-lanes are about 25% safer and have similar
      capacity to 4-lane sections:
      http://epg.modot.mo.gov/index.php?title=940.11_Three-Lane_Cross-Sections.
      Motorists will no longer be surprised when a left turning vehicle is stopped
      in a through lane of traffic.

      2. EASTBOUND - Two through lanes going eastbound were maintained which is
      important to keep the signal at Stadium & Broadway operating efficiently.
      The eastbound traffic will operate better than before (once people get used
      to the new lanes). With the old striping, all motorists wanted to stay in
      the left eastbound through lane; including vehicles going to State Farm
      Insurance, vehicles going to the Gerbes shopping center, vehicles turning
      onto Clinkscales, and vehicles heading to downtown. Cars wishing to turn
      left stopped in the through lane to wait for opposing traffic to clear and
      some motorists would weave into the right lane for short time periods or
      race to Clinkscales to merge into the left lane. With the new striping,
      motorists wanting to turn left can travel in the left lane until they reach
      their turn. They can then move into the two-way-left-turn-lane and out of
      the way of other left turners. Traffic remaining in the left through lane
      is required to turn left at Clinkscales. Traffic heading downtown can
      travel in the right lane for the whole distance and have no conflicts except
      from the occasional right turning vehicle. East of Clinkscales Broadway
      only has one lane in each direction, so Clinkscales is a logical place to
      drop the lane.

      3. WESTBOUND - Broadway only has one lane in each direction east of
      Clinkscales so there should be little additional delay added to westbound
      vehicles by removing one of the westbound lanes between Stadium and
      Clinkscales. There is little traffic on Clinkscales so capacity is not an
      issue at the intersection. The extra westbound through lane is needed (and
      is provided) when Broadway reaches Stadium because of the amount of traffic
      on Stadium. There have been a few negative comments that we have halved the
      amount of traffic that Broadway can handle westbound because we went from 2
      lanes to 1. This is not true because left turning vehicles used to stop in
      the through lane and block it.

      The striping changes should have a positive impact on traffic once motorists
      are used to the change.

      Jerry Wade
      4th Ward Council Representative
    • Chip Cooper
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
        Jerry,
        As a family who must make left turns onto and off of Broadway just across
        from Shelter Insurance I can attest to the long-term, dangerous condition
        that has existed with the prior 4-lane design. Having a two-way left turn
        lane should provide much greater clarity and improved comfort for all users.
        Hopefully traffic will slow a bit as well. We are pleased with this approach
        and look forward to using it. Thanks. Chip Cooper, 500 Longfellow Lane.

      • Daniel Ponder
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2009
          I think the new lane assignments are a big improvement to West Broadway.

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2009
            Dan,
            Thank you for your response.
            Jerry