The Tribune and their coverage of Barbara Hoppe

  • Nancy Harter
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 9:41 PM
      This is being written and sent to Jim Robertson and Sara Semelka, and would
      be sent to Hank Waters, but I do not have his email. It is also being sent
      out on list servs so that the public can read more than one "opinion" and
      biased reporting in articles in the evening news.

      The Tribune's Editorial represents one person's opinion, Hank Waters, and
      often endorses candidates. Hank's "Thinking In Ink" and his "The Tribune's
      View", in yesterday's March 31st "The Sixth Ward Hoppe Versus Robison" was
      beyond bizarre by tearing apart Barbara, praising her opponent, and then
      endorsing Barbara. Hank you may think you are being clever but with this
      editorial where you succeeded in sending signals to your Developer Friends,
      Conservative Friends and "Old Boys" in Columbia, it is known that you have
      been meeting them at the Forge and Vine this last year and at the Country
      Club . You have also laid out, to many others who support Barbara, all the
      carping that you and those against Barbara have been hashing over about how
      you all feel about her. Many suspected how you and others feel, but there
      it was in your words and in print.

      Then, today April 1st, there is the biased, poorly written article on the
      Tribune's page 14A, "Critics Assert Hoppe Votes Part of a Trend" by Sarah
      Semelka. Some facts are wrong. Your paper must not fact check with those
      they quote or write about. To quote Sara in the blog on one misstatement she
      wrote, under her article in the online posting of the article in the
      Tribune: " <http://www.columbiatribune.com/users/sarasemelka/> sarasemelka
      (Sara Semelka) says... I have received press releases from Jim Muench and I
      thought he had introduced himself at a campaign event as the campaign
      manager. However, I was contacted today by Barbara Hoppe, who said that he
      just works on her campaign. There will be a correction in tomorrow's paper
      to correct this error." Barbara is her own Campaign Manager. I hope that
      Sara's retraction is prominent, stands alone in the paper, and is not hidden
      in another article. There are other errors in the article. When Sara was
      asked why she did not use the information Barbara gave her, Sarah said that
      she put the information in the article but due to the Tribune's editing,
      there was no room for it.

      Additionally, many letters have been sent to the Tribune for Barbara. The
      Tribune has chosen not to publish them on several different days but to
      publish a lot of them on the same day, which dilutes each writer's message.
      That is the Tribune's prerogative but it continues the Tribune's pattern of
      being manipulative in how you are dealing with Barbara as a candidate and
      how as a paper you "Think In Ink."

      A study, conducted by James Devitt of the Women's Leadership Fund, examined
      newspaper coverage and wrote: "Female candidates face many obstacles in
      getting elected ... but newspaper coverage may compound these difficulties,"
      Devitt concluded.

      "When it comes to bestowing an image of authority, the press and newspapers
      have so much power," says Marie Wilson, whose non-partisan, New York-based
      group researches public attitudes toward leadership by women. Thank
      goodness for List Servs, for the internet, and even for the blogs that
      papers are now providing beneath their articles which they post on line for
      internet readers. One way to attract readers, especially those readers the
      newspapers have lost who don't buy papers any more.

      "The news pages of the paper are not the place for expressions of political
      support or, in the alternative, lack of support for any political
      candidate." Quote found on Google.

      People are fed up in this country, in this state and in Columbia with the
      financial meltdown and greed. They are fed up with a few getting everything
      they want by lying and manipulating. They are fed up with elections that
      turn ugly.

      Recently Chrystia Freeland wrote "The Audacity of Help" in the March 11,
      2009 Financial Times, and I take from that article: "now is a pivotal
      moment in this country; it is time to help define the debate; there is a
      shift in public opinion; the failure of the market as it has been; the
      theory that the economy is usually self-sustaining is not happening now; the
      rising income of inequality with median wage stagnation; income
      maldistribution has greatly increased; education, healthcare reform, energy
      and environmental reform is needed, there is a need for extraordinary public
      action; and there is a need for each of us to save ourselves and our
      community from excesses so that we can have what we need, not always what we
      want and prepare so there is a future for our children and grandchildren."

      So now I put in this email that which was not put in Sara Semelka's article.
      With the present Council, Barbara has supported the University, the Chamber
      of Commerce and REDI on projects that attract and/or grow businesses, fit
      well with our community and economic base, and keep us buffered from the
      worst economic downturns. The Council, Barbara included, have also been
      working on a comprehensive growth management plan, long range policies and
      modernized zoning laws that will smooth the way for good, planned
      development and growth. Barbara specifically proposed, at her first
      Council Retreat in 2006, that Columbia do a Natural Resources Inventory of
      the Columbia Metro area. This project is almost completed, using high
      definition aerial photography, work in partnership with the University
      Geography Department for a GIS system database that will be available, to
      citizens, developers and the City, alike, to make good sound decisions for
      long range planning and save everyone time, work and dollars. Columbia is a
      leader in the nation in this area.

      I would like to point out that Bill Watkins, City Manager, has written in
      his recent 2009 column in the Business Times: "City tightens up and stays
      financially stable, " "Thanks to Council leadership, solid planning, sound
      financing proposals and effective public education, we are making
      substantial progress on completing capital improvement projects approved by
      voters in 2005. We've increased citizen's awareness and input through
      dedicated public council work sessions and online viewing." Barbara has
      been an instrumental leader urging the kinds of substantial progress Bill
      describes. Also Forbes Magazine just released their annual lists where their
      web site ranked cities big and small based on criteria including job growth,
      cost of living, income growth, migration trends, labor supply, quality of
      life, college attainment, crime rates, local colleges and cultural and
      recreational opportunities. This year, the web site also looked at projected
      job growth and subprime mortgages. Columbia was ranked 5 in the Best Small
      Metro Area. The City and it's City Council seems to be doing a lot right.
      The Forbes.com lists can be found at http://tinyurl.com/forbeslist

      Barbara has demonstrated knowledge, commitment, and the capacity for good
      listening. Barbara needs to be elected for another term to continue the
      good work.

      Nancy Harter
    • Rhodes, Verna
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2 6:32 AM
        Terrific!--Well stated, Nancy.--vr

        Tribune: " <http://www.columbiatribune.com/users/sarasemelka/ <http://www.columbiatribune.com/users/sarasemelka/> > sarasemelka

        The Forbes.com lists can be found at http://tinyurl.com/forbeslist <http://tinyurl.com/forbeslist>

        Barbara has demonstrated knowledge, commitment, and the capacity for good
        listening. Barbara needs to be elected for another term to continue the
        good work.

        Nancy Harter
      • Jan Godfrey