Re: Policy consistency on trees and sidewalks

  • Frances Dickey
    Message 1 of 23 , May 1, 2012
      Ratliff is cutting down the largest of the sweet gums as I write this.  I just wanted to reiterate that the issue of the trees never really had much to do with sidewalks, although that was the line fed to us.  The issue was liability from falling branches, because, as Chad Herwald explained, being hit by a branch can do a lot more damage than tripping and falling.  Of course, there are lots of trees in worse shape in the neighborhood (including one on Maupin that is completely dead), but for some reason he got it in his head that he had to take these particular trees out.  Actually trimming the trees to remove dead branches for some reason is beyond the city arborist's capacity.  Cutting down the trees is called a "ground trim."

      At any rate, I don't believe the city is demonstrating any commitment to sidewalks whatsoever by cutting down these trees, and I wouldn't expect to see any improvements in that area of infrastructure.  Of course, just as with the trees, we can try to ask for it.

      Frances

      Message 2 of 23 , May 1, 2012
        Re: Policy consistency on trees and sidewalks From what I can tell, the city’s sidewalks initiatives are focused on arterials, collectors and other major roads rather than side streets. I mentioned a few recent examples below: Walnut between Old 63 and William, and Rangeline between the I-70 overpass and Big Bear. The west side of Fairview is another example.

        From: Frances Dickey <frances_dickey@...>
        Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 11:32:01 -0700 (PDT)
        To: "oldsouthwestandbroadway@yahoogroups.com" <oldsouthwestandbroadway@yahoogroups.com>

> [...]

        > supervision until Lauren was 11 or 12, Gregory probably 10.
        >
        > Through the years, we have heard the screams of kids that have bicycle-crashed
        > at the bottom of the hill because there was gravel on the road and they and
        > their parents were going too fast down the hill.
        >
        > Entering the street from our drive is always precarious and I am terrified of
        > getting plowed down by cars and/or bicyclists. The city long ago deemed the
        > area as not worthy of warnings.
        >
        > Point is, no one cares until someone gets hurt. Dan is totally right on!
        >
        > We need to be proactive and tell the city manager, arborist, whomever,  what
        > we want for this neighborhood.
        >
        > I hope what we all want are repaired/replaced sidewalks and trees replaced, as
        > trees are removed.
        >
        > These should be separate issues and both doable. Please pressure the mayor and

      • Carin Croll
        Message 3 of 23 , May 1, 2012
          There are many federal grant opportunities for both sidewalks and trees. Who at the city is responsible for grant writing? How can we get this dialogue started? Has the city arborist not checked into these federal grant programs to replace trees if his budget can't? He stated trees would be replaced if there was money left over. I again wonder why he doesn't see it as his job to find resources available for replacing tree.
           There are many sidewalk replacement grants available too. Hundreds of thousands of dollars available. Shouldn't someone in city government be responsible for following up on these potential funding sources? So this neighborhood receives the  proper upgrades/reconditioning we are long overdue.
          Can Mrs. Hoppe help? Carin

          To: oldsouthwestandbroadway@yahoogroups.com
          From: frances_dickey@...
          Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 11:32:01 -0700

> [...]

          > supervision until Lauren was 11 or 12, Gregory probably 10.
          >
          > Through the years, we have heard the screams of kids that have bicycle-crashed
          > at the bottom of the hill because there was gravel on the road and they and
          > their parents were going too fast down the hill.
          >
          > Entering the street from our drive is always precarious and I am terrified of
          > getting plowed down by cars and/or bicyclists. The city long ago deemed the
          > area as not worthy of warnings.
          >
          > Point is, no one cares until someone gets hurt. Dan is totally right on!
          >
          > We need to be proactive and tell the city manager, arborist, whomever, what
          > we want for this neighborhood.
          >
          > I hope what we all want are repaired/replaced sidewalks and trees replaced, as
          > trees are removed.
          >
          > These should be separate issues and both doable. Please pressure the mayor and

        • Tim Kridel
          Message 4 of 23 , May 1, 2012
            Re: Policy consistency on trees and sidewalks The city has been using federal grants for sidewalks. One example is around Walnut and College. I think the sign is gone now that the project is complete, but the amount posted was more than $250,000.

            From: Carin Croll <carincroll_@...>
            Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 19:21:08 +0000
            To: <frances_dickey@...>, "oldsouthwestandbroadway@yahoogroups.com" <oldsouthwestandbroadway@yahoogroups.com>

            To: oldsouthwestandbroadway@yahoogroups.com
            From: frances_dickey@...
            Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 11:32:01 -0700

> [...]

            > supervision until Lauren was 11 or 12, Gregory probably 10.
            >
            > Through the years, we have heard the screams of kids that have bicycle-crashed
            > at the bottom of the hill because there was gravel on the road and they and
            > their parents were going too fast down the hill.
            >
            > Entering the street from our drive is always precarious and I am terrified of
            > getting plowed down by cars and/or bicyclists. The city long ago deemed the
            > area as not worthy of warnings.
            >
            > Point is, no one cares until someone gets hurt. Dan is totally right on!
            >
            > We need to be proactive and tell the city manager, arborist, whomever,  what
            > we want for this neighborhood.
            >
            > I hope what we all want are repaired/replaced sidewalks and trees replaced, as
            > trees are removed.
            >
            > These should be separate issues and both doable. Please pressure the mayor and

          • Frances Dickey
            Message 5 of 23 , May 1, 2012
              Every year the city has the opportunity to apply for a $10,000 state "TRIM" grant.  Last year, Chad applied for and received this money to conduct the survey that produced a report with 2400 "data points" grading our right-of-way trees for risk.  This year, he plans to apply for a TRIM grant to buy fancy software that will allow him to map the results of this survey (which at that point will already be obsolete) so that we can all see what scores our trees received and how soon we can expect to have them cut down.  What I want to know is why he isn't applying for $10,000 to PLANT SHADE TREES in the old southwest and throughout the city so that we don't find ourselves living in a walmart parking lot in 20 years when the last of our mature trees has been cut down.

              frances

              To: oldsouthwestandbroadway@yahoogroups.com
              From: frances_dickey@...
              Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 11:32:01 -0700

> [...]

              > supervision until Lauren was 11 or 12, Gregory probably 10.
              >
              > Through the years, we have heard the screams of kids that have bicycle-crashed
              > at the bottom of the hill because there was gravel on the road and they and
              > their parents were going too fast down the hill.
              >
              > Entering the street from our drive is always precarious and I am terrified of
              > getting plowed down by cars and/or bicyclists. The city long ago deemed the
              > area as not worthy of warnings.
              >
              > Point is, no one cares until someone gets hurt. Dan is totally right on!
              >
              > We need to be proactive and tell the city manager, arborist, whomever, what
              > we want for this neighborhood.
              >
              > I hope what we all want are repaired/replaced sidewalks and trees replaced, as
              > trees are removed.
              >
              > These should be separate issues and both doable. Please pressure the mayor and

            • Henry Ottinger
              Message 6 of 23 , May 1, 2012
                Neighbors:

                I am reasonably assured that the city will be restoring curbs and sidewalks to the areas in question.  That was my understanding following conversations with public works.  I will pursue this and report back.  I'm also hopeful that some significant repaving of the 300 block will occur as part of the project as well.

                Sidewalks are an issue in this project as John Glascock indicated at the meeting last Thursday, saying that the city can be held liable for injuries incurred by someone falling.  I recall as well his willingness to pursue some alternative remedies to get around tree # 3.

                Again I will get back in touch with Public Works and confirm the scope of the project.

                Hank Ottinger

                Patience is the key to paradise.

              • Mike Martin
                Message 7 of 23 , May 1, 2012
                  Hank:

                  If only the admonition you appended to your signature  -- "Patience is the key to Paradise" --  were true.    The Nancy Harter story is one of many examples of how unresponsive Mr. Glascock's office can be to constituent concerns, and how patience -- five years of it -- has led not to Paradise, but to Limbo.

                  Meanwhile, on the issue of trusting City Hall, neighbors who have sought first and second opinions about the condition of their trees have been treated to a startling revelation:   the city's arborist, Chad Herwald, has his own business -- as an Arborist For Hire.

                  Other arborists reportedly express fears about contradicting, not only the city's arborist, but a competitor!

                  Going under the name "Cambium Tree Expert, LLC," Mr. Herwald apparently enjoys an exalted position in the tree business here, given his straddling of public and private, with a position at City Hall as both arborist and arbiter -- of which trees stay or which trees fall on city-owned land.

                  Cambium Tree Expert, LLC
                  Chad Herwald

                  7900 N. Wagon Trail Rd
                  COLUMBIA, MO 65201
                  Phone: 573-268-1878
                  Cambiumte@...
                  https://www.sos.mo.gov/BusinessEntity/soskb/Corp.asp?3217259

                  (Mr. Herwald's ISA listing doesn't even mention his position with the City of Columbia).

                  I've heard of police officers moonlighting as security guards, but I've never heard of police officers moonlighting as police officers.  Here, we have an arborist moonlighting as -- an arborist.    According to the ISA website,  Mr. Herwald's private firm offers Consulting;  Diagnosis of Sick Tree;  Fertilization;  Pest Management;  Public Education

                  Pretty much exactly what he does for the city -- and in competition with other local arborists.    I'd wanted to report this for the Columbia Heart Beat, but after a while, what's another City Hall conflict of interest story, if not old news

                  That said, I'm left again with your call for calm.   My counter-admonition would urge considering the circumstances surrounding the discord -- the patience is the key to limbo thing;   and getting the TRIM study so that we can all find out when and where The Lord of the Trees shall make his next appearance.

                  Apparently, if he says the trees shall fall, they shall, as no one "in the business" is reportedly willing to challenge him.

                  Best,

                  Mike
                • Randy
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 1, 2012
                    Just from memory (no research), I believe the Walnut St. sidewalk replacement utilized federal Stimulus money.

                    Unfortunately, no one had enough sense to leverage additional funds to bury overhead utility lines at the same time or incorporate infrastructure improvements and enhancements identified in the Downtown Charrette Plan (see page 19 at link below).

                    Nice example of poor planning, design and construction. We usually only get 1 chance every 40= years to replace infrastructure and should add amenities at the same time.

                    Randy Gray

                    Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 2:35 PM

                    From: Carin Croll <carincroll_@...>
                    Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 19:21:08 +0000
                    To: <frances_dickey@...>, "oldsouthwestandbroadway@yahoogroups.com" <oldsouthwestandbroadway@yahoogroups.com>

                    To: oldsouthwestandbroadway@yahoogroups.com
                    From: frances_dickey@...
                    Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 11:32:01 -0700

                    href="carincroll_@...">carincroll_@... <mailto:carincroll_%40hotmail.com>

                    href="casscasscass2002@...">casscasscass2002@... <mailto:casscasscass2002%40yahoo.com>
                    href="oldsouthwestandbroadway@yahoogroups.com">oldsouthwestandbroadway@yahoogroups.com <mailto:oldsouthwestandbroadway%40yahoogroups.com> "
                    > <
                    href="oldsouthwestandbroadway@yahoogroups.com">oldsouthwestandbroadway@yahoogroups.com <mailto:oldsouthwestandbroadway%40yahoogroups.com>

                    > Subject: RE: Policy consistency on trees and sidewalks
                    >
                    > It's been this way since 1966 when we moved to Rosemary Lane and as our
                    mother
                    > did not drive, we walked and depended upon bicycles with double
                    baskets and
                    > our feet!
                    >
                    > Forty-six years later,
                     Columbia is still not a pedestrian friendly town.

                    > Safe
                    bicycling to me does not exist.

                    > I live on the section of
                    east-West Rollins where Rollins going east changes to
                    > Glenwood at the
                    curve. The auto traffic is fast as well as the bicyclists
                    > going to the
                    trail. We have many pedestrians and runners too. There are no
                    > sidewalks
                    or speed bumps or "slow" signs or anything.

                    > We have lost three
                    cats to this street since 1989. I was not going to lose my
                    > children to
                    the street so they weren't allowed to be on the street without

                    supervision until Lauren was 11 or 12, Gregory probably 10.

                    Through the years, we have heard the screams of kids that have bicycle-crashed
                    > at the bottom of the hill because there was gravel on
                    the road and they and
                    > their parents were going too fast down the
                    hill.

                    > Entering the street from our drive is always precarious
                    and I am terrified of
                    > getting plowed down by cars and/or bicyclists. The
                    city long ago deemed the
                    > area as not worthy of warnings.
                    >
                    > Point is, no one cares until someone gets hurt. Dan is totally right
                    on!

                    > We need to be proactive and tell the city manager,
                    arborist, whomever,  what
                    > we want for this neighborhood.
                    >
                    > I hope what we all want are repaired/replaced sidewalks and trees
                    replaced, as
                    > trees are removed.
                    >
                    > These should be
                    separate issues and both doable. Please pressure the mayor and
                    > Mike
                    Matthes to get this done.

                    > Carin Croll
                    >

                    > ------------------------------------
                    >
                    > Yahoo! Groups
                    Links

                  • Carin Croll
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 1, 2012
                      What a huge conflict of interest! How inappropriate.  No wonder the arborist office is not actively pursuing grant money to get our neighborhood and town rehabilitated properly. He is not interested in preservation or restoration. That's evident in his business plan! And who hired this guy? What nonsense. Carin

                      To: oldsouthwestandbroadway@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 1, 2012
                        Dan:

                        Other arborists in the city do indeed have concerns.  I think this is important, but I must say, I'm getting burned out on reporting this kind of stuff.   It's been coming so fast and furious these days, it seems like the very definition of a broken record.

                        Best,

                        Mike

                        The dual role of Chad Herwald as city arborist and commercial arborist is very enlightening Mike. I think that is important information that people should be aware of, especially if we are paying his salary. I would think other arborists in the city would have concerns. Conflict of interest should never be old news either...

                        Dan Stapleton
                        118 Park Hill Ave.

                        http://www.isa-arbor.com/faca/arboristdetail.aspx?ID=156297