BEAT BYTE: Mizzou staffer becomes Native American hero

  • Mike Martin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2012
      Now in our Seventh Year on Columbia's Alternative News Beat
      http://www.columbiaheartbeat.com

      Happy 2012!

      1)  (NATIVE) AMERICAN HERO:  Mizzou toxicologist returns stolen rare artifact to Northwest tribe
      2)  DIVINED REDESIGN:  After six years, the Heart Beat relocates
      3)  SCIENCE GUY STUFF:  Aviation accidents, Green data centers, Web 3.0, cancer research, and more
      4)  HELP WANTED:  For paid reviews of Restaurants and the Arts
      5)  HEAR YE!  HEAR YE!  New site for local announcements

      Best viewed in HTML format.  All links in bold.

      Columbia City Council Agenda, Tuesday, January 3, 2012
      Quiet night expected

      (NATIVE) AMERICAN HERO:  Mizzou toxicologist returns stolen rare artifact to Northwest tribe
      "An honorable man, indeed."

      COLUMBIA, 1/1/12  (Beat Byte) --  It's a rare pleasure to witness one act of honor, but now I'm in the enviable position of being able to write about two -- from the same person.

      When a mutual friend without family locally passed away a few years ago, Paul Cary stepped in to tidy up his estate.  Paul handled money, family matters, and other issues with grace, honor, and aplomb.

      Now, the Yakima Herald-Republic has reported that Cary -- a Columbia resident and director of the Toxicology and Drug Monitoring Laboratory at University of Missouri Health Care -- spent several years assuring the return of a rare Native American artifact -- a stunning, one-of-a-kind handwoven basket stolen from a museum -- to the Yakama Tribe.  Comments below the story sum up the feelings of a grateful people.

      "Paul Cary is a very honorable man and deserves the honor of being a Lifetime Friend of the Yakama Nation," wrote GrizFoot Ball

      "He is definitely a friend of this Yakama," wrote Connie Lee Stalcup.  "He is a very honorable man, indeed."

      Cary's good deed started in the Pacific Northwest, traveled to Missouri, and returned to the Northwest, like the Lewis and Clark saga, "only in reverse," writes reporter Jane Gargas.  "It took four years, a circuitous route over at least three states and through many different hands before the episode could reach its end -- and home."

      It also started, coincidentally enough, with the Lewis and Clark National Bicentennial Exhibition.   Cary, who lives in Columbia, visited the show in 2004 and saw a Wasco root digging basket, "woven from hemp and bear grass in the late 19th century," in a glass case.   The Wasco tribe lived along the Columbia River near The Dalles, Ore.  Women used the baskets to hold roots they dug up for food.

      Cary, 61, told Gargas the basket "mesmerized" him, with "the fineness of the weaving, the intricacy of the design, the mysteriousness of the figural elements."  He also discovered how rare it was -- only about one percent of Native American baskets available for collecting are Wascos.

      A collector himself, Cary searched for a Wasco root-digging basket for three years, ultimately buying one in 2007 from a dealer in Western Washington he thinks was made between 1880-1910.  "It's beautiful," Cary told Gargas. "Wasco baskets are so unique, they leave an impression on you."

      To learn more about the designs on his own basket, Cary emailed expert Mary Schlick, author of Columbia River Basketry: Gift of the Ancestors, Gift of the Earth.

      After checking out pictures of Cary's Wasco basket, Schlick was stunned.  She was sure she had seen it before, possibly at the Yakama Nation Museum in Toppenish, Wash. from a collection bequeated to the nation by 1930s Hollywood actor Nipo T. Strongheart, who was raised on the Yakama reservation.

      The Strongheart collection had only one, striking Wasco basket, and it looked just like Paul Cary's basket.   On further digging, Schlick confirmed her suspicions.  The basket had been stolen from the Yakama museum sometime in 2006

      "It was like a stake went through my heart when I heard it might be stolen," Cary told the newspaper.  But he also realized that it "had to go back to where it belongs."   He returned the basket to the dealer with news of the theft and its rightful owner, got his money back, and expected his rare find would soon find its way back to the museum.

      But for reasons that are not clear, the dealer never returned the basket.  When Cary visited the museum last year, it wasn't there.  But he did see a sign that he considered -- a sign.  "Everyone has a purpose. Our responsibility is to fulfill our purpose."

      Cary went back to the dealer, bought the basket back, and worked with museum curator Pam Fabela to return it.

      In October, Cary flew to Washington from Missouri.  In a ceremony with experts and basket makers that included a traditional Waashat prayer, he restored the rare artifact to its people.  The Wasco basket now sits where it began its reverse Lewis and Clark trek:  in a glass museum case in Toppenish, Washington.

      "Regaining the basket and completing this journey -- I consider it a sacred purpose and my joy," Cary told the Yakama Nation.

      Tribal bag takes long, winding route home
      by Jane Gargas
      Yakima Herald-Republic
      http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/2011/10/29/tribal-bag-takes-long-winding-route-home

      DIVINED REDESIGN:  After six years, the Heart Beat relocates

      COLUMBIA, 1/1/12  (Beat Byte) --  After six years -- and taking Google's Blogger software as far as it would go -- the Columbia Heart Beat has relocated to a website powered by Joomla, a software widely used by newspapers and other media organizations.

      Former Columbia resident and now St. Mary's College communications professor Joy Piazza advised me a few years ago to check out Joomla, but the cost and time investment wasn't doable until recently.

      Blogger is amazing and has served Heart Beat readers well since 2005.  We've been able to seamlessly integrate it with several social media sites including Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter, and we've availed ourselves of every possible Blogger function, from uploading videos to importing and exporting news feeds.

      I've tried many similar softwares, including Wordpress and the newly-released Jux.  Blogger, in my opinion as both user and technology journalist, outperforms them all.   Despite its simple-sounding name, Blogger is a sophisticated software platform few people know how to use well.

      Ultimately, though, we needed to graduate, and despite Blogger's functionality, Joomla and its cousin, Drupal, are even cooler.  Joomla comes with modules, extensions, and templates -- some you pay for, but many free -- that take it well beyond its open-source roots.  The new site allows us massive new functionality, including the ability to display multiple stories in multiple formats at once and to take custom-designed ads, one of many steps in a news organization's long-term viability.

      Joomla has been a bear to learn and construct, but well worth the investment.  And we'll still keep the Blogger site as an archive.

      SCIENCE GUY STUFF:  Aviation accidents, Green data centers, Web 3.0 -- and cancer

      Stories I've written over the past few months for other publications.

      Some teaching hospitals and health systems are taking a fresh look at human factors engineering (HFE), a discipline not often associated with medicine, but one that proponents say can improve the quality and safety of health care.  In a nutshell, human factors engineers attempt to learn about human strengths and limitations, and then apply that knowledge to products and processes to reduce errors and improve quality and productivity.

      Data centers can get more green with less power consumption thanks to a novel yet powerful algorithm that keeps power costs down and paying customers happy.

      A new theory about tumor growth makes oncology look a little like cosmology.  Just as the universe accelerates as it expands, tumors become malignant at an accelerating speed, according to a team of scientists who have been probing the mathematics of tumor growth.

      A first ever study details the ins and outs of accidents in smaller airplanes.  Page 6 at link here:

      The next big thing on the Web—which World Wide Web inventor Tim Berners-Lee nicknamed “Web 3.0,” or the Semantic Web—may also be the next milestone in cancer information.

      This July in Florida, a group of newly minted medical students embarked on their training.  But instead of heading to gross anatomy lab or a biochemistry lecture, these students spent five days learning about empathy, cultural competence, and self-awareness.
      https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/december2011/268876/emotional-intelligence.html

      For hardcore techies:

      A modified version of MapReduce—Google’s patented program for distributed and cluster computing—harnesses the power of graphics processing units (GPU) for large-scale, high-performance applications, claim University of California, Davis computer science researchers.

      A storage system modeled after Google's Big Table has the edge in data management for cloud computing and next-gen Internet users, researchers claim.

      HELP WANTED:  For paid reviews of Restaurants and the Arts

      The Columbia Heart Beat is seeking reviewers for local restaurants and the arts -- from gallery showings to theatrical and symphonic performances.   Pay starts at $0.10/word, for between 250 to 500 word columns.   We will also pay for reviewed meals and tickets required for reviewed events.
      Insightful reviews, which can range from critical commentary to encouraging endorsements, serve the same important purpose in the world of food and art that other forms of journalism serve in politics, government, business, and life:  informing the public.

      An informed public is more likely to visit an artistic event; eat at a new restaurant or try a new dish; more likely to check out a new, unknown artist; more likely to indulge in a first-time trip to the symphony, an art gallery, or a live performance.   More likely to care.

      Please send a brief email, some background information (such as a resume), and any relevant clips to editorial at columbiaheartbeat.com.

      HEAR YE!  HEAR YE!  New site for local announcements

      To all of our many announcement providers:   The Columbia Heart Beat is partnering with CentralMo.com for event announcements, classified ads, and a business directory.

      As of this issue, we're moving all announcements to Central Mo.com, a new site dedicated to events all around Mid Mo.   If you'd like us to carry your announcements, please post them at Central Mo.com -- IT'S FAST, FREE and EASY -- and a long-term place to store your announcement.

      In every issue, we will be carrying a link to their calendar, classified ads, etc.  So if you'd like the Heart Beat to keep posting your announcements, please sign up with CentralMo.com TODAY!

      ABOUT CENTRALMO.COM

      All stories by Mike Martin unless otherwise noted.

      The Columbia Heart Beat

      CIRCULATION:  Roughly 12,000