Important information regarding why to vote YES on Proposition 2, Election Day, Tues Nov 2

  • Catherine Parke
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010
      Friends and Fellow Citizens,

      On this day before Election Day, I forward to you important substantive information and analysis (below) sent by Linda Green, a Columbia resident, regarding why to vote YES on Proposition 2.

      Vote on November 2!

      Catherine Parke

      *********************************

      • How Taser manufacturer has deceived police/public:

      csfwlaw.com/taser_abuse_lawsuits.php or google this headline:  Taser Abuse Lawsuits Press Coverage of the BUTLER V. TASER INTERNATIONAL, INCCase

      • Maneater recommends YES on Proposition 2:

      Proposition 2, also known as the Taser ban, has been a hotly debated topic for months leading up to this election. After a long debate among our own

      editorial board, we chose to endorse the ban for a few key reasons.

      Primarily, the ban doesn't outlaw the buying and carrying of a Taser. In a way we find similar to owning a gun, you can't randomly use it on someone else or even threaten to use it. In contrast, the consequence of using one is a Class A misdemeanor, which holds minimal consequences and the possibility of not being charged if the Taser is used in legitimate self-defense.

      With a ban that doesn't outlaw the product, but only the use of it, there is still the potential for private citizens using the weapon as self-defense and the potential to learn more about Tasers for better education and training in the future. Once more research is done on the product, it might be more suitable for the police and for citizens to use more freely.

      The lax nature of the ban is a benefit. What's better: It takes the Taser out of the hands of the Columbia Police Department. According to Amnesty International, Missouri had eight deaths between 2001 and 2008 due to Tasers.

      Also, we feel CPD seems to use Tasers erratically, as if there is a fine line between having a conversation and Tasering someone. The gray area between what is abuse and what isn't is also problematic to us.

      There's also the issue of Tasers being fairly new technology. We see updated use suggestions often, such as don't Taser people on their chests because it could kill them. It comes down to a debate of whether Tasers are a poorly constructed product or simply a new technology that is constantly being tested and innovated.

      As we said before, the push for education doesn't have to stop with the ban. Bans can  be repealed. But right now, they're not safe and better regulation needs to happen now.  If that regulation has to occur through a ban first, then that's what has to happen.

      --Maneater, October 29, 2010

      • Local Leaders Press Conference in Support of YES on Proposition 2:

      A broad array of local leaders spoke at a Press Conference in Columbia, Wednesday, October 27, in support of banning use of tasers and all CEDs. These leaders provided substantive, accurate evidence regarding why residents and police should not deploy these unreliable and unsafe weapons in our community.  They urged citizens to vote YES on Proposition 2.

      Supporters of Proposition 2:

      Almeta Crayton, former Ward 1 Council Representive

      David Finke, Fellowship of Reconciliation

      Joyce Harlan, Grandmother of Stanley Harlan, whose death by police tasing was ruled a homicide in Moberly

      David Huddleston-Smith, M.D.

      Reverend Lorenzo Lawson

      Bob Murray, attorney

      Dr. Eugene Robertson, retired MU professor

      Mary Ratliff, President, local and state chapters, NAACP

      Alma Tapp, child-care provider

      Lily Tinker-Fortel, Grass Roots Organizer

      Reverend Ray Warren, also a Korean War veteran

      Alma Tapp, a longtime child care provider in Columbia is concerned about the possible tasing of a child. Police patrol the halls of our schools with the weapon on their belt. How can the same taser be used on a child and a 300 pound adult?  Because these weapons come in eye-catching colors and look like a toy, a child might see one in a purse or dresser drawer and tragically fires it on themselves or another person?

      Dr. David Huddleston-Smith explained how Taser International has neither applied for UL certification nor created a reliable procedure to calibrate locally the weapon’s voltage. Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) an independent, not-for-profit product safety certification organization has tested most electrical products we all buy for years.

      Reverend Lorenzo Lawson asked who can support a person being punished before being charged with a crime. He clearly stated that there is no reason a taser should be used on a caged or jailed person with all the other riot and protective gear available to officers.

      Mary Ratliff, President of the Columbia and Missouri NAACP, provided vivid imagery of her son in-law who is tall, strong and by all appearances a very healthy looking young man—with six stents to his heart. What would happen if he were shot with a taser?

      Lily Tinker Fortel, GRO Organizer, wrapped up by saying, “Here in Columbia we have a historic opportunity and an inherent right to come together as a community to say we don't want unreliable weapons used by anyone in our city.”

      Please, Columbia voters, vote YES on Proposition 2, Tuesday, November 2.

      Linda Green

      **************************

      And join the Watch Party, 611 N. Garth Avenue (Old Labor Temple, on Garth between Worley & Sexton), beginning 7:30 p.m. on Election Night.

      cp

      --
      Catherine Parke
      OurArt

      To be an artist is to believe in life.

      --Henry Moore
    • Kaylen, Michael S.
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010

        All,

        I love using this listserve to learn about neighborhood happenings and to share information about handymen, etc. However, I continue to be confused as to the rules and regulations. I thought some time ago there was some fairly strongly worded statements to the effect that the listserve was not to serve political purposes, but since then I have received a few messages that seem political to me and this is the latest. So I ask forgiveness if my reply violates this listserve’s rules.

        I just wanted to reply because I think Proposition 2 is misguided and deserves a NO vote. On the face of it, it seems clear to me this is a legitimate and valuable tool for police. Think about it. Regardless of whether Taser’s are 100% safe (what is?), would you rather be hit with a billy club (or shot) or hit with a Taser? It seems to me the choice is obvious. The only problem, as far as law enforcement is concerned, seems to be on whether the use is capricious. That is something that can be handled in ways other than an absolute ban. Similarly, if the concern is with private citizens using Tasers, then the ban is overly broad since it includes police.

        If you are informed about the issues, please vote on Tuesday, November 2.

        Michael Kaylen

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010
          All:

          Michael is correct in his statement that the list is to be one which informs the association about issues of importance to the neighborhood: upcoming city projects that affect the area, zoning issues, meetings, tips on home maintenance (and those who can help), and the like.  Not as exciting, perhaps, as things political, but necessary.

          Thanks,

          Hank Ottinger, Chair
          Historic Old Southwest Neighborhood Association

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010
            I would like to add that I much prefer Christianson over Robb..  One of Ed Robb's first "attacks" was against the salaries & work ethics of the very clerks in City Hall that will be working with the new commissioner...not a great way to build morale with your work force.  And if published reports of Ed Robb's salary at the University of Mo. are anywhere near accurate, he is the last person that should be complaining about people being paid high wages.
            Peter Brett Prentiss

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010
              So as not to squelch any sort of discussion, I haven't imposed any hard and fast rules on this listserv other than no advertising (referrals and event announcements are of course fine.

              What's more, people in this part of town (Old Southwest, etc.) have traditionally been very politically engaged. Having been involved in several campaigns, I've heard many a candidate talk about how crucial it is to get support in the Old Southwest and Broadway area, and how politically "aware" residents are.

              With that tradition so woven into the neighborhood fabric, political messages seem apropos, so long as they are not direct ads from candidates.

              Best,

              Mike the Moderator

              --- In oldsouthwestandbroadway@yahoogroups.com, "Kaylen, Michael S." <kaylenm@...> wrote:

              > All,
              >
              > I love using this listserve to learn about neighborhood happenings and to share information about handymen, etc. However, I continue to be confused as to the rules and regulations. I thought some time ago there was some fairly strongly worded statements to the effect that the listserve was not to serve political purposes, but since then I have received a few messages that seem political to me and this is the latest. So I ask forgiveness if my reply violates this listserve's rules.
              >
              > I just wanted to reply because I think Proposition 2 is misguided and deserves a NO vote. On the face of it, it seems clear to me this is a legitimate and valuable tool for police. Think about it. Regardless of whether Taser's are 100% safe (what is?), would you rather be hit with a billy club (or shot) or hit with a Taser? It seems to me the choice is obvious. The only problem, as far as law enforcement is concerned, seems to be on whether the use is capricious. That is something that can be handled in ways other than an absolute ban. Similarly, if the concern is with private citizens using Tasers, then the ban is overly broad since it includes police.
              >
              > If you are informed about the issues, please vote on Tuesday, November 2.
              >
              > Michael Kaylen
            • Marge

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010
                  Marge:

                  I will indeed.  (She's currently visiting grandkids in Asheville).

                  And for the record, I remember you too!

                  hank

                  --Maneater, October 29, 2010

[...]

                • Gummersheimer, Sandra
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010
                    Here is some information from another listserv I'm on.......

                    Dear Missourians,

                    Tim Rickey, ASPCA Senior Director of Field Investigations and Response, lives in central Missouri and has been investigating puppy mills in the state for more than 20 years. In response to concerns that Prop B may be a first step towards anti-agriculture legislation, Rickey addressed a letter to the editor of the Columbia Missourian. Published on October 15, the letter affirms that the only goal of Prop B is to improve the standard of care for dogs in large-scale breeding facilities.

                    The following letter is reprinted from the Columbia Missourian.

                    Prop B Provides Common-Sense Standards, Not Extremism
                    Opponents of Proposition B, the Puppy Mill Cruelty Prevention Act, always rely on the same false claims that it is an unnecessary law backed by so-called extremists.

                    In truth, current laws are not strong enough to prevent abuses at Missouri puppy mills. At the estimated 3,000 puppy mills in our state, dogs are typically crowded into small and filthy cages, denied veterinary care, exposed to extremes of heat and cold, and given no exercise or affection. Puppy mill operators and their allies have been trying to obscure the fact that these facilities are cruel and the way these dogs are treated is wrong.

                    Prop B provides clear and common-sense standards of care for dogs at puppy mills. Many responsible dog breeders support the measure, along with Missouri veterinarians and vet clinics, the Humane Society of Missouri, businesses and religious leaders.

                    Prop B would only cover breeding dogs in large-scale, commercial puppy mills - no other kind of animal. It would require these facilities to provide the basics of humane care, such as adequate food, water, space and exercise. It would not affect livestock agriculture.

                    These modest standards would apply to both licensed and unlicensed puppy mills and provide law enforcement officials with new tools to enforce them. Tens of thousands of dogs are suffering in puppy mills across our state. We can change this for the better this November by voting "YES" on Prop B.

                    Please remember to go to the polls this Tuesday and vote YES on Proposition B. Thousands of dogs in Missouri are counting on you.
                  • Hicks, Michael
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010
                      I want to clarify the difference between the oldsouthwestandbroadway@yahoogroups.com and the Historic Old Southwest Neighborhood Association. Mike Martin started the yahoo group before there was a Historic Old Southwest Neighborhood Association and Mike’s yahoo group serves a larger geographic area that also includes other associations. I guess the names are similar enough that many people besides Hank think that the two are connected when they are not.

                      Mike Martin has been very supportive the Historic Old Southwest Neighborhood Association and allows us to send out our notices on his yahoo group because it reaches many of the homes in our association area. However, it is Mike’s yahoo group, he is the moderator and he sets the rules. I have never known of Mike Martin not allowing someone to express their views. I personally like hearing what others think and the details of why people support the issues and the candidates they do. His Yahoo group also provides a useful service to our area of town.

                      Hank is also right that the role of the Historic Old Southwest Neighborhood Association is to offer information about issues of importance to the neighborhood and help organize meeting with city officials for all of the residents to make their views known. The Neighborhood Association is not the place for endorsing candidates or propositions.

                      I hope this is helpful in understanding the differences between these two useful resources.

                      Michael Hicks
                      Secretary, Historic Old Southwest Neighborhood Association

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010

                        The door has been opened to political discussions and I am all for that. However, I hope we can agree to avoid ad hominem attacks and strive to be accurate. Relative to these principles, I will only respond to the second sentence in the comments about Robb.

                        To begin with, I can find no record anywhere of Ed Robb attacking the work ethics of anybody and I can’t find anything about “clerks in City Hall.” There may be confusion about county officeholders. Regarding these, the Tribune (Oct. 21, 2010)  said:

                        Robb said all county officeholders are “quality people” and that he has no complaints about the service they provide — “only that salaries are grossly out of line compared to other counties similar to our own.”

                        The same Tribune article states Robb’s concern is that

                        all 12 county elected officials have salaries of at least $82,000 per year, when state law describes those offices as part-time jobs. He said the salaries have “evolved over time” and are the result of action by the county’s salary commission, which is made up of the 12 elected officials.

                         There’s nothing wrong with supporting Christianson over Robb. I just hope we make our decisions in an informed matter.

                        Mike