LETTER FROM A "LIBERATED" IRAQI CITIZEN, JULY 4, 2005 -- Worden

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2005
      LETTER FROM A "LIBAERATED" IRAQI CITIZEN
      JULY 4, 2005

      Carl F. Worden

      I hope you carefully consider the words of this Iraqi citizen, and when you have finished, read the included Declaration of Independence our own forebears wrote to King George of England so many years ago.  Read the list of grievances our "insurgents" and "terrorists" filed with King George and compare them to the list of grievances cited by this Iraqi human being.  We are all human, and we all share the same hopes and desires for our families and our lives.

      This July 4, 2005, we citizens of America have nothing to celebrate.  Unlike so many of my American brethren who will wave the flag today, cheer and celebrate our own liberation from a vicious king's occupying army 250 years ago, I cannot.  For I am a man of conscience whose heart was once as hardened as those flag-wavers.  But when I accepted Jesus Christ into my heart and my life, my eyes were opened, my blackened heart was cleansed and my ability to empathize with the various plights of all my fellow humans on this planet was reborn.  I am a man who is sick at heart this July 4, 2005, for I know the innocent blood of tens of thousands of my fellow human beings has been needlessly shed in my name, and even worse; on my watch.  How can any of us now condemn the German people of 1938 for their failure to act?

      Saddam Hussein goes down in history as being one of the most unusual of all dictators.  Unlike his contemporaries, Saddam Hussein made sure every household in Iraq was armed to the teeth, and I don't mean just hunting rifles and handguns.  Hussein made sure his people had fully automatic AK 47 assault rifles, rocket-propelled grenades and explosives.  Unlike former and present dictators, Saddam promoted and enforced the free expression and practice of all religions, and he supported and promoted education.  That's just not consistent with how other dictators have practiced their tyranny.

      The "Butcher of Baghdad", his sons and his regime were cruel masters.  They were vicious, and they did not hesitate to use methods of genocide to subdue those who sought to overthrow them.  But I recall the words of an Iraqi statesman, who, when called on the carpet by our own diplomat for Iraq's human rights abuses, replied that our government did exactly what Saddam was accused of at Waco, Texas in 1993.  How's that for a verbal slap in the face?

      This letter moved me very deeply.  It is not a hate-filled harangue on the American people.  The writer expresses kindness, understanding and even forgiveness, and it broke my heart.

      Carl F. Worden
      July 4, 2005

      From an Iraqi citizen to the American people:

      We always have thought that you are citizens; away from the savageness
      which controls many people in the world because you suffered from the
      injustice of your own occupation more than two hundred and fifty years
      ago. Therefore, you picked up weapons against the occupiers until you
      forced him to go out of your state which was a great victory for you.

      Naturally, this occupier was giving unreasonable justifications for
      his stay in your country. Like any occupation, no country ever admits
      that they occupy some land but always says that they are a liberator
      of the people who are then unable to govern themselves and so on.

      Such reasons cannot change the origin of occupation.

      Nowadays, your army is occupying our homeland, destroying our homes
      and killing our men, women, and our children. The occupation is
      leaving this country full of chaos to the point we are now facing so
      many disasters, including suffering from looting and robbery.

      Sudden attacks and cruel murders have been perpetrated by your army
      who then prevent all people from submitting judicial complaints. This
      encourages all soldiers to kill thoughtlessly without any threat of trial.

      We have seen our Holy Quran desecrated by soldiers, but you continue
      to say your soldiers do not do what the Mogul and Barbarians did in
      the lands they occupied.

      Your soldiers did many immoral acts but your government leaders have
      done even more.

      We, the Iraqi people, do not put the responsibility of this on your
      shoulders because you are a people and not your government. But when
      the people have a decision in the fate of their country and decide to
      go in a direction which only benefits the government, this means that
      the people are satisfied with their governments' actions.

      When you elected Mr. Bush for the second time, this was a declaration
      from you of being satisfied with all his acts in violation of the
      holiness of a state which shares a place with yours in the United
      Nations Security Council

      Has the age of occupation returned back to a place where agreements
      and treaties and international laws which forbid aggression are
      useless? When the people who chose to defend their land and reject the
      occupier are then described by your government as a terrorist? How
      long have you heard that an occupation which continues will have no
      resistance against it? Do you refer to the patriots of your own
      country as terrorists in your history books?

      Have you ever heard that there is a peaceful occupation? One that
      ended in victory for the occupier?

      American people, please remember the land of Iraq and remember the
      Iraqi people and think of yourselves as if you were in our place. In
      this way you will realize what Iraqis suffer.

      I am an Iraqi who bears no grudge against any person all over the
      world. We simply wish that other people may realize our suffering now,
      especially the people who do not support their thoughtless governments
      and their aggressive acts. For the people who support these corrupted
      governments will be responsible for them, and history will hold them
      responsible for allowing this tragedy to have occurred.

      This will be a shame on their ancestors who will not be able to hide
      this black page of history.

      Thanks to the American people for listening attentively, and I am
      wishing you reasonableness and the ability to comprehend the truth.

      Posted by Dahr_Jamail at June 27, 2005 11:04 AM

      THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

      Action of Second Continental Congress, July 4, 1776

      The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen United States of America

      WHEN in the Course of human Events,

      it becomes necessary for one People to dissolve the Political Bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the Powers of the Earth, the separate and equal Station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent Respect to the Opinions of Mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the Separation.

      WE hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness -- That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient Causes; and accordingly all Experience hath shewn, that Mankind are more disposed to suffer, while Evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the Forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object, evinces a Design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their Right, it is their Duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future Security. Such has been the patient Sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the Necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The History of the present King of Great- Britain is a History of repeated Injuries and Usurpations, all having in direct Object the Establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid World.

      HE has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public Good.

      HE has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing Importance, unless suspended in their Operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

      HE has refused to pass other Laws for the Accommodation of large Districts of People, unless those People would relinquish the Right of Representation in the Legislature, a Right inestimable to them, and formidable to Tyrants only.

      HE has called together Legislative Bodies at Places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the Depository of their public Records, for the sole Purpose of fatiguing them into Compliance with his Measures.

      HE has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly Firmness his Invasions on the Rights of the People.

      HE has refused for a long Time, after such Dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of the Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the Dangers of Invasion from without, and the Convulsions within.

      HE has endeavoured to prevent the Population of these States; for that Purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their Migrations hither, and raising the Conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

      HE has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers.

      HE has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the Tenure of their Offices, and the Amount and Payment of their Salaries.

      HE has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance.

      HE has kept among us, in Times of Peace, Standing Armies, without the consent of our Legislatures.

      HE has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil Power.

      HE has combined with others to subject us to a Jurisdiction foreign to our Constitution, and unacknowledged by our Laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

      FOR quartering large Bodies of Armed Troops among us;

      FOR protecting them, by a mock Trial, from Punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:

      FOR cutting off our Trade with all Parts of the World:

      FOR imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:

      FOR depriving us, in many Cases, of the Benefits of Trial by Jury:

      FOR transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended Offences:

      FOR abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an arbitrary Government, and enlarging its Boundaries, so as to render it at once an Example and fit Instrument for introducing the same absolute Rules into these Colonies:

      FOR taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

      FOR suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with Power to legislate for us in all Cases whatsoever.

      HE has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.

      HE has plundered our Seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our Towns, and destroyed the Lives of our People.

      HE is, at this Time, transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the Works of Death, Desolation, and Tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty and Perfidy, scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous Ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized Nation.

      HE has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the Executioners of their Friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.

      HE has excited domestic Insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the Inhabitants of our Frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known Rule of Warfare, is an undistinguished Destruction, of all Ages, Sexes and Conditions.

      IN every stage of these Oppressions we have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble Terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated Injury. A Prince, whose Character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the Ruler of a free People.

      NOR have we been wanting in Attentions to our British Brethren. We have warned them from Time to Time of Attempts by their Legislature to extend an unwarrantable Jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the Circumstances of our Emigration and Settlement here. We have appealed to their native Justice and Magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the Ties of our common Kindred to disavow these Usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our Connections and Correspondence. They too have been deaf to the Voice of Justice and of Consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the Necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of Mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace, Friends.

      WE, therefore, the Representatives of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, in GENERAL CONGRESS, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the World for the Rectitude of our Intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly Publish and Declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be, FREE AND INDEPENDENT STATES; that they are absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political Connection between them and the State of Great-Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as FREE AND INDEPENDENT STATES, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which INDEPENDENT STATES may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

      Discover Yahoo!