S.Africa: Zulu King plans to test Male Virginity

  • pbs@iafrica.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2005
      From: WWW.AfricanCrisis.Org
      [The big question is: HOW? How will he know if the men are virgins or
      not? On one of my favourite old websites - "Tales of the Rainbow Nation"
      - were several articles about this sort of thing. Apparently the
      "science" used in some cases was to let boys pee over or under a wire -
      and depending on whether they peed high or low, the "Black Scientists"
      would know they were or were not virgins!!! I wonder what the latest
      "scientific methods" will be used in this case? We will have to hear what
      the King of the Zulus plans to do! Oh well, it makes for light
      entertainment anyway - if nothing else!! Jan]

      Zulu monarch King Goodwill Zwelithini has called on business to help him
      start virginity testing for males in an attempt to fight the scourge of
      HIV and Aids.

      In 1984, the king successfully revived the Reed Dance custom which sees
      more than 10 000 maidens converge on his Enyokeni Royal Residence every
      year to celebrate their virginity.

      Now he wants young males to do something similar.

      Speaking at his daughter's wedding reception at the International
      Convention Centre on Saturday evening, the king said that virginity
      testing for males would help fight the pandemic.

      King Zwelithini's daughter Nombuso tied the knot with businessman Dr
      Seshi Chonco in a glamourous wedding ceremony in Pietermaritzburg, which
      was attended by top businessmen and politicians.

      Details of how virginity testing for males is going to be conducted are
      yet to be announced by the king.

      However, the king's idea of testing boys may have problems getting off
      the ground, as the National Council of Provinces has approved a Bill
      passed by the National Assembly which, among other things, seeks to ban
      female circumcision and virginity testing.

      This article was originally published on page 2 of Daily News on July 04,
      2005

      Source: Independent Online (IOL)

      http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20050704091000109C498873