Company Memo: Protect yourself against Hijacking

  • pbs@iafrica.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4 12:57 PM
      From: WWW.AfricanCrisis.Org
      [Here is a memo to the staff of the company I work for about hijacking as
      a daily danger that we all face. It contains some good tips.

      A particular hot spot where I had my car window smashed, is on the Queen
      Elizabeth bridge as you drive into central Johannesburg from
      Braamfontein. I often see piles of glass at the robots [traffic lights]
      there where car windows have been smashed by blacks when they try to
      steal cell phones or other things from inside one's car. It is good to be
      extremely wary of anyone walking around your car. Jan]

      Every year as the days get shorter and many of our staff travel to and
      from their offices in semi or total darkness, I become very concerned for
      your safety.

      The incidence of smash and grabs and hijackings increases in the winter
      months and this communication is my appeal to everyone to be more alert
      as you travel, especially as you enter or leave your home or office, stop
      at stop streets or traffic lights or travel along known crime
      �hot-spots�.

      The following is a list of useful hints, which I would urge you and your
      family to heed:
      o Be alert when you drive � look out for people standing around at stop
      signs and robots and suspicious people hanging around your driveway, etc.

      o Avoid driving alone at night or in quite areas

      o Don�t trust bystanders or other motorists who try to warn you that
      something is wrong with your car or people who ask for directions

      o Always keep you car doors locked and windows closed and keep your
      handbag and cell phone out of sight

      o Drive to your nearest police station if you suspect that you are being
      followed

      o Drive to your nearest garage (if possible) if you get a flat tire or if
      your car breaks down � don�t accept help from strangers

      o Try to stay calm if you are being hijacked � if you tense up chances
      are that the hijackers will follow your lead and things might get ugly.
      Remember as much as possible of what the hijackers look like, what car
      they drive (if any) and what they wear. Contact the police as soon as
      possible.

      Travel safely!