News Alert: Blacks have been killing White farmers for decades...

  • pbs@iafrica.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2005
      From: WWW.AfricanCrisis.Org
      [Blacks have been killing White farmers for decades. Is it any surprise
      that Africa keeps getting hungrier? Yet, in 1945 Africa could feed
      itself. During the time of colonialism Africa exported all manner of
      crops. Then, starting in Kenya, the Blacks started killing the White
      farmers. During the Mau Mau insurgency they hacked White people to pieces
      with pangas. They hamstrung the White people's cattle. The most intense
      wars fought against White farmers was probably in Rhodesia. White farmers
      in Rhodesia held out against tremendous odds. They were attacked by Black
      terrorists, armed with modern weapons, mortars and RPG7 rockets - and
      still they hung in there. But Mugabe disarmed all the Whites, and in
      2000, they were powerless to stop the Blacks militarily. Here in South
      Africa our farmers are now under attack too.

      Yet, in all this, one should ask a question: Why should anyone be
      surprised that Africa is growing hungrier and poorer? They keep attacking
      and destroying the very White people who are trying to contribute the
      most to their societies.

      I have reached the point, where I no longer think we Whites must waste
      our time with the Blacks. Negotiating with them is a waste of time.
      Striking deals with them achieves litte or nothing. I think we Whites
      must just go our own way. We must sever our ties with the Blacks and call
      it a day. We need to strive for our own country because if we don't the
      Blacks will surround us, lie to us, cheat us, and bit by bit wear us down
      until we are destroyed one day.

      In Zimbabwe, probably 95% of the Whites left in the last 30 years. I
      believe the Blacks have similar plans for us here in South Africa - but
      it will be much harder to implement. But I have no doubt of what they
      have in store for us. Jan]

      Dakar - From locust-devastated western dust bowls to the conflict-ridden
      central jungles and the plains of the Aids-struck south, hunger pangs are
      growing among Africa's most vulnerable, and relief officials say they're
      increasingly unable to help.

      Much of the world's poorest continent is entering its annual "lean
      season" - the months leading up to harvest when food stores dwindle and
      bellies gurgle among the most impoverished. Calls for international
      assistance are multiplying, but funding shortfalls and endemic strife are
      hitting efforts by humanitarian workers to respond.

      "Essentially, we are really concerned because of drought, lack of
      harvest, civil war, or insecurity in general: it all comes down to a
      deadly cocktail of need," said Caroline Hurford, a spokesperson for the
      United Nations' World Food Programme, which spearheads food-distribution
      efforts - but is suffering serious funding shortfalls.

      'We are going to see a terrible situation getting worse'
      "People are slipping away in the dusty villages of Malawi or Sudan, or
      wherever," she said from the agency's headquarters in Rome. "We need to
      sound the alarm now."

      While the great majority of sub-Saharan Africans have plenty to eat and
      now live in democracies, where famine is all-but unheard of, those
      inhabiting conflict zones, harsh climes or hard-to-reach areas are
      increasingly going hungry.

      Aid workers say the plight of Africa's hungry has been overshadowed by
      the massive aid outpouring after the Asian tsunami - a phenomenon known
      as "donor fatigue".

      And since there is no African famine raging, pictures of skeletal, dying
      babies aren't arriving in morning newspapers or on evening news
      programmes, they say.

      But the needy are there - one in three sub-Saharan Africans don't get
      enough nourishment each day, the UN says.

      'You can't build roads on an empty stomach'
      In Central Africa's Uganda, the UN made an urgent appeal on Wednesday for
      food worth $45-million to help more than three million Ugandans, half of
      them victims of a 19-year civil war.

      UN World Food Programme official Ken Noah Davies said existing supplies
      would run out by the end of June, the start of the dry season.

      "We are going to see a terrible situation getting worse if we do not get
      food immediately," Davies said. "We have a huge shortfall of 90 000
      tons."

      In nearby eastern Congo, people fleeing ongoing strife are hiding in the
      jungle, where aid workers can't reach them. When hunger overcomes fear,
      they emerge with cheekbones showing on gaunt faces.

      For sprawling refugee camps in that restive region, food distributions
      are shelved periodically when travel becomes too dangerous for aid
      workers. Some feeding programmes for refugees in Liberia, Guinea and
      Sierra Leone have also been curtailed due to lacking funds.

      Funding shortfalls are also looming for southern Sudan, while nearly
      three million are displaced inside in the western Darfur region, where
      they've been driven from their homes by strife. A quarter million other
      have fled to Chad, where they've become refugees.

      Worldwide, the World Food Programme said last month it urgently needs
      $315-million to meet the needs of 2.2 million refugees sheltering in
      camps, 75 percent of whom are in Africa.

      Those who have fled their homes due to conflict are the easiest counted
      since they're often registered and monitored by relief workers. Untold
      numbers of other Africans are growing hungry for reasons other than
      strife.

      In the south, where HIV/Aids is ravaging populations, some crops are
      failing because farmers are sick. Without proper nourishment, Aids claims
      other victims ever quicker.

      Similarly, development schemes meant to help grow African economies and
      break a dependence on international aid are undercut by hunger and its
      corollary, disease. "You can't build roads on an empty stomach," says
      Hurford.

      Zimbabwe said Thursday it didn't ask for and doesn't need the food aid
      the United Nations has promised, insisting it could provide for its own
      people amid a mounting humanitarian crisis rooted in politics. But Social
      Welfare Minister Nicholas Goche said Zimbabwe welcomes any that comes.

      A day earlier, the head of the UN World Food Programme met with President
      Robert Mugabe to discuss what he described as "an enormous humanitarian
      crisis". James Morris added that between three and four million
      Zimbabweans will need food aid in the next year with the peak time of
      need coming between December and March.

      The economic decline of what was once the region's breadbasket is traced
      to a campaign Mugabe began in 2000 to seize farms from whites and
      redistribute them to blacks. Agriculture, the mainstay of the economy,
      was devastated and Mugabe has faced international isolation for his
      attacks on blacks and whites who opposed him.

      In far West Africa, yellow locusts flitted through blue skies last year,
      delighting children but auguring troubles only manifesting themselves now
      in the sere, scorching region.

      The locusts devastated crops across the area just south of the Sahara
      desert known as the Sahel, meaning already poor countries are now running
      out of food - with harvests still months away.

      In Mali, 10 percent of the country's 11 million inhabitants are at risk
      as the country struggles to make up for a cereal deficit of 350 000 tons,
      officials said this week. So far, they have only received a fraction of
      what they need.

      The UN appealed last month for $16.2-million to provide food aid for
      3.6-million people in Niger, hit by drought and the locusts.

      On Wednesday, hundreds marched in Niger's capital, Niamey, demanding free
      food and carrying signs reading: "We're hungry, help us." - Sapa-AP

      Source: Independent Online (IOL)

      http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=68&art_id=qw1117722960227B216